Unbelievable wood find

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I fall timber for a living in western Montana and I'm usually camped for the week. Forget about leaving anything in camp over the weekend. The bastards will cut locks, pry open camper doors, you name it. As well as steal firewood out of the stack beside your camper.
Pretty low to steal from a working man.
Don't **** with other people's ****, because ornery fallers like me will shoot your thief ass.

I agree that if you leave anything in camp, it may disappear, sure ain't saying that it is RIGHT, but that is reality.

But, the subject of THIS discussion is cut wood left behind in a NATIONAL FOREST, where wood cutting is permitted. ANY wood left behind, is Fair Game to another cutter, regardless of whether you have cut it or not, you don't "OWN" any wood until you Load it, Tag it, and Haul it out of the forest.

Stealing wood or ANYTHING from someone's camp is WRONG, and I don't blame anyone for sending 180 grains of lead at a thief in their camp

Doug :cheers:

Never was stated the logs were on public land in a wood harvest zone until now.

I even asked who owned the land and logs.

The way I read it, and likely many of us, is that you happened along someone's logs in the woods and stole them.

Yes it was, in post #25, it was in the Bitter Roots National Forest

If it was left behind, it did NOT "BELONG" to Anyone.

Wood in the National Forest "Belongs" to whoever hauls it out

Such a SIMPLE CONCEPT, yet so DIFFICULT, for so Many to Understand :innocent: :rolleyes:

Never was stated the logs were on public land in a wood harvest zone until now.

I even asked who owned the land and logs.

The way I read it, and likely many of us, is that you happened along someone's logs in the woods and stole them.

So I don't respond as quickly or accurately as you like, so I'm now a thief. I'd say you are the one with a problem.

Post #25 is well into the discussion, after the **** was flyin' and the duckin' and bobbin' and weavin' was going on.

pretty hard to maintain a clear head at that point...lol.

I'm just glad I can leave my doors unlocked and my keys in my equipment around here. So far. Until those Montana boys show up, anyway..

National Forests aren't a free for all.

They are usually managed by the Forest Service and sections are open for public timber harvest, and there are areas that are commercial timber.
Also areas that logging isn't allowed.

For example, about 6 million acres in the ~17 million acre Tongrass National Forest is off limits.

National Forests aren't a free for all.

They are usually managed by the Forest Service and sections are open for public timber harvest, and there are areas that are commercial timber.
Also areas that logging isn't allowed.

For example, about 6 million acres in the ~17 million acre Tongrass National Forest is off limits.

And Yet a LOT of the National Forests ARE OPEN to wood cutting, Dayum, maybe, just MAYBE, it was an area that was OPEN to cutting, and maybe, just MAYBE MT Res HAS, or possibly doesn't even NEED a permit this year, we haven't.

In case, I haven't mentioned this, wood in the National Forest is there for WHO EVER hauls it away.

I swear you girls are acting like he kicked your door in, stole the wood stacked by your stove, and took a Six Pack and a Fifth of Hootch, too

Again, IF you LEAVE IT BEHIND, it Ain't YOUR'S

"If you leave it behind it ain't yours"

you're just talking about firewood on government lands, right?

Uhm, Yeah, That is the topic of this thread isn't it???

I do believe that I also stated that taking anything from someone's Camp is WRONG.

Wood in an open cutting area, in a National Forest, doesn't "Belong" to anyone, until it is loaded up, and hauled away.

Simple concept, for Most, but not All

I occasionally see USFS post some "No Firewood Collecting Here" type signs around an active timber sale. There is a busy pulp mill here so some of the stacks of pulp bolts can look a little inviting to people. But at this point, most people who still burn wood here just buy loads from a logger and you don't see too many pickup loads of firewood coming off public land very often.

Meanwhile, my local National Forest is trying to disallow cutting standing dead trees, and seeks to allow collection of only "down" wood. Because snags are good for wildlife of course. But really the non-problem they think they are solving is that the suburbanites they hire these days don't understand that only wood very close to a road will ever be taken for firewood...and there will never be a shortage of naturally created snags beyond firewood-haul-out distance.

And then also on some of their timber sales they leave all of the #1 Aspen mixed into Northern Hardwoods, which will of course all die before USFS can ever get around to doing another entry into the stand as they are decades behind on that idea, everywhere, always. But the Aspen is left to die and rot deliberately, so the stand will "have the correct amount of woody debris" - as if the logging and natural activity doesn't create the "correct amount."

The amount of Hubris and Ignorance inside USFS these days is off the charts, in my opinion.

I occasionally see USFS post some "No Firewood Collecting Here" type signs around an active timber sale. There is a busy pulp mill here so some of the stacks of pulp bolts can look a little inviting to people. But at this point, most people who still burn wood here just buy loads from a logger and you don't see too many pickup loads of firewood coming off public land very often.

Meanwhile, my local National Forest is trying to disallow cutting standing dead trees, and seeks to allow collection of only "down" wood. Because snags are good for wildlife of course. But really the non-problem they think they are solving is that the suburbanites they hire these days don't understand that only wood very close to a road will ever be taken for firewood...and there will never be a shortage of naturally created snags beyond firewood-haul-out distance.

And then also on some of their timber sales they leave all of the #1 Aspen mixed into Northern Hardwoods, which will of course all die before USFS can ever get around to doing another entry into the stand as they are decades behind on that idea, everywhere, always. But the Aspen is left to die and rot deliberately, so the stand will "have the correct amount of woody debris" - as if the logging and natural activity doesn't create the "correct amount."

The amount of Hubris and Ignorance inside USFS these days is off the charts, in my opinion.

And sometimes they will open up what “LOOKS “ like a Timber Sale Log Deck to wood cutters

3A1D2F0B-4277-4D39-99ED-B18101D7FB17.jpeg
This Log Deck was from trees cut down making fire breaks for the 2017 Eagle Creek Fire, it was NOT from a Timber Sale. Sometimes the Forest Circus has some Unbelievable scores in their weekly wood cutting info sheets, they opened this up to wood cutters in 2019, I WISH that I could have “Claimed” all that for myself

As far as what the Forest Circus Allows, that varies a LOT from one National Forest to another.

In the Mt. Hood NF, we are ONLY Allowed to cut blow down, and only up to 6 cords, at $10/cord,

In the Bend/Fort Rock unit, they are allowed to Fall Standing Dead up to 24” DBH, and up to 8 Cords at $10/Cord

In the Wenatchee NF, they are allowed to Fall Standing Dead up to 20” DBH, and are allowed up to 12 cords, at $5/Cord

It just depends on how much wood is available in a given Forest, and the expected number of people wanting to cut wood there

For a National/Federal Agency, the rules vary quite a bit

One just has to KNOW and FOLLOW the rules, which from what I have read and know, MT Resident DID

Doug. :cheers:3A1D2F0B-4277-4D39-99ED-B18101D7FB17.jpegDB518239-3D01-4BF8-986E-F5A940870051.jpeg

The way things are going down there, I am betting some folks will resort to gun fights next year scrambling over scraps of charred timber. Very unfortunate situation indeed. The $'s/cord is sure to skyrocket. Mind you, the actual overal demand for firewood will decrease as evidenced by the continual and blazen disregard of advice doled out by medical and virologist experts.

The way things are going down there, I am betting some folks will resort to gun fights next year scrambling over scraps of charred timber. Very unfortunate situation indeed. The $'s/cord is sure to skyrocket. Mind you, the actual overal demand for firewood will decrease as evidenced by the continual and blazen disregard of advice doled out by medical and virologist experts.

I'm not quite sure what exactly you meant by this:

Mind you, the actual overal demand for firewood will decrease as evidenced by the continual and blazen disregard of advice doled out by medical and virologist experts.

I seriously doubt that there will be "Gun Fights" over Firewood :rolleyes:

The RARE disagreement that I have seen woodcutting has fallen FAR SHORT of the typical Drunken Argument at a Public Boat Ramp.
A Hot Day, a Lawn Chair, a Full Cooler and a Public Boat Ramp, has got to be the All Time BEST VALUE in Entertainment:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Although you WON'T hear about in the MSM, Reliable sources have said that there HAVE been Two LOOTERS SHOT, One in Estacada, OR, and One in Sandy, OR. I said before, that Small Town/Country Folks Won't put up with the NONSENSE, that Portlanders will, and that seems to be proving True.

Some Sound Medical Advice, DON'T Loot in the "Evacuated Areas" of Oregon and Washington's Wildfires, there are those that won't leave until it is Necessary, and they WILL Shoot Looters

If it was my property you'd be the target I'd be sighting in my guns on.

View attachment 855558

IF it was your property, I would Agree with you, BUT it has already been Clarified REPEATEDLY that it was in a NATIONAL FOREST

DAYUM, I heat almost exclusively with wood, and I get my annual allotment from the NF, and scrounge the rest from other sources, I seriously don’t understand why some of you are getting so worked up over a NONISSUE.

I haven’t always agreed with MT Res, but he has done NOTHING WRONG in this case, yet some seem to want to make a Federal Case over a bit of Firewood

It’s No Wonder that the Legal Profession is so Lucrative

Neighbor and I were heading out to sight in some rifles, and in a few miles we came across the wood find that I still can't believe. Just off the road 3 ~25 foot 14 to 16" logs, bucked of branches, 90% cut at 16" lengths, no rot but a bit green still. We jumped out, verified what our eyes were seeing. Raced back and hooked up the trailer, and raced back to the logs. I felt like we were robbing a bank. We finished the cuts, loaded and were heading back home in 5 or so minutes. In total 30+ logs that we split evenly, and for me that is about a weeks worth of heat in December. What a find. I wish it was this easy all the time.
I once purchase a permit to cut on state land. Cut up tree, filled truck, left my jacket as sign I would be back, came back after unloading to only find my jacket. Was not gone that long. My question to you, if you thought everything was fine and you where entitled to that wood. Why where you in such a hurry? Take your time loading the wood and enjoy someone else's work.

Latest posts

Back