Unbelievable wood find

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have found a snatch block, a shackle, a hatchet, a partial box of nails, a saw horse, a 7 foot long digging bar, 150 feet of cable, a tree saver, a gallon gas can, clothing, a pair of reading glasses, and countless trees dropped with 10s of feet of good wood, not bucked.

Basically, I find stuff all the time, either forgotten or abandoned. If a dozen or 2 logs is a felony to some of you, well tough. Deal with it.

Let me see if I understand this. In your world it is illegal to take logs laying on the ground, in the forest that are against the side of the road?

Why do you think it would be legal?

Who owns the land? Who owns the logs? Without knowing that, it's impossible to know if it's ok.

What if they were your logs on your land?

You spent a day cutting trees, limbing them and skidding to a landing.

You cut up firewood till dark (or maybe till your truck was full) and planned on coming back in a day or two for more.

You get back and your logs are stolen.

If taking logs if fine, then is someone taking firewood from your yard fine too?

It seems obvious to some of us that somebody else limbed, drug and mostly bucked those logs. Perhaps they were coming back..apparently anything left not tied down in your neck of the woods is fair game. Local rules I suppose. Like I said; lousy neighbourhood.

Not a neighborhood. It is called the Bitteroots National Forest. And yes sheit left or abandoned is just that.

I have found a snatch block, a shackle, a hatchet, a partial box of nails, a saw horse, a 7 foot long digging bar, 150 feet of cable, a tree saver, a gallon gas can, clothing, a pair of reading glasses, and countless trees dropped with 10s of feet of good wood, not bucked.

Basically, I find stuff all the time, either forgotten or abandoned. If a dozen or 2 logs is a felony to some of you, well tough. Deal with it.

A dozen logs could easily be a few grand worth of lumber to the owner, so yes, it could certainly be a felony.

Someone's idea of "abandoned" may be another person's idea of "stored there for a while"

Any what we call "crown land" in these parts requires a firewood permit to cut (a very small fee).

i would almost put money on it that a permit is required on your government-owned land too?

@MontanaResident
They just can't understand freedom, or wide open spaces. Permits, permission, ownership. That's why we live here. I've spent weeks pulling free wood out by the Musselshell. When I visited Michigan last, folks were afraid to sneeze for fear of a citation. Baaaa.

P.S. Montana is FULL! No electricity, -60 in the winter...
I hear Wyoming Is Nice.

@MontanaResident
They just can't understand freedom, or wide open spaces. Permits, permission, ownership. That's why we live here. I've spent weeks pulling free wood out by the Musselshell. When I visited Michigan last, folks were afraid to sneeze for fear of a citation. Baaaa.

P.S. Montana is FULL! No electricity, -60 in the winter...
I hear Wyoming Is Nice.

Yup! The stuff I have lost wasn't painted, and neither was the stuff I found. None of my equipment or tools goes into the forest without a gloss red coating. All kinds of stuff gets left behind in the wilderness, and there are plenty of firewood cutters, hikers, dog walkers, hunters that freely pick it up and take it home. I suppose their are people, HERE, that think they are under constant servelance and scared to touch something that isn't marked free, or help yourself. It is a big world out there, with lots of different thoughts, that I had forgotten about.

What have you stored on public land, and for how long?
Not sure what Montana is like now days, but all the history that I have read says that is tough country. Blackfoot country in the histories I’ve read. I would side with the finders keepers rule on public land. I don’t have access to public land for harvest. I’m sure I’m wrong, but I thought the OP’s original start of the thread was funny. I think if your gonna harvest, make sure you take all what you harvest.

Never got to BC, I'm told it's stihl free there, but I have my doubts (probably more like Seattle). Never East of Winepeg, but it just starts looking like East Coast, USA so why bother...
Anyhow, the Nanny State is happy to see your slavish devotion to her rules.

It has nothing to do with surveillance, or laws, or permits, or rules, or anything but respect and manners. Anyway, I guess Montana is a free-for-all and damn the manners.

that was quite likely someone else's wood. You could have given it a day or two...but wait, that means the next opportunist that happened along would get it. I see...local rules.

****** rules

PS, that wee bit of wood wouldn't even register on anybodies radar in these parts.

unbelievable

Any what we call "crown land" in these parts requires a firewood permit to cut (a very small fee).

i would almost put money on it that a permit is required on your government-owned land too?

Normally Yes, but not this year, at least in Oregon, who says he didn't have a permit????

I usually get my permit and tags early in the season, and keep the permit, tags, wood cutting map and weekly info sheet in my truck, there is no reason to take them out of the truck, I stihl don't see where it says that he DIDN'T have the necessary permit, if even needed

If it is in a National forest, which I believe was stated, if you leave wood behind, it is available for someone else to come take, it is NOT "Your's" until it is loaded, and tagged, cut it, even split it, and leave it in the woods, it MAY still be there IF you come back, but you have NO RIGHT to EXPECT it to be. I don't cut more than I can Load/Haul, anyone that does is just stupid, I keep a running idea on what is in the trailer, and quit cutting and load when I get close to a full trailer, I have left small amounts of cut rounds behind, but not enough to lose any sleep over, never mind get MAD that someone else has taken it, IF I return later.

Dayum, there sure are a LOT of Cry Baby Liberals on here, some that I wouldn't have even suspected.

There have been plenty of times that I have disagreed with MT Resident, but this sure ain't one of them, he is following the typical and PRINTED Rules of wood cutting on PUBLIC LANDS

Doug :cheers:

I fall timber for a living in western Montana and I'm usually camped for the week. Forget about leaving anything in camp over the weekend. The bastards will cut locks, pry open camper doors, you name it. As well as steal firewood out of the stack beside your camper.
Pretty low to steal from a working man.
Don't **** with other people's ****, because ornery fallers like me will shoot your thief ass.

It has nothing to do with surveillance, or laws, or permits, or rules, or anything but respect and manners. Anyway, I guess Montana is a free-for-all and damn the manners.

that was quite likely someone else's wood. You could have given it a day or two...but wait, that means the next opportunist that happened along would get it. I see...local rules.

****** rules

PS, that wee bit of wood wouldn't even register on anybodies radar in these parts.

unbelievable

Now you are getting it. You leave your stuff laying out in the open, on public land, it is going to be taken. I don't have any idea where you were raised or how, but this is a pretty common understanding where I come from.

I have found 2 wallets in my life, and called and got one returned. But in this specific case, for you, I should be sitting on those logs protecting them from "opportunist" to ensure the initial cutter, who didn't have the good sense to finish his work, got one last chance to collect all the free permitted wood he started.

Back