*** UNDERSTANDING CREOSOTE ***

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do I get rid of the black glossy creasote, that is in my clay flue? I can get the stove hot and dry out the stuff in there and scrape it off. But my brush don't touch the stuff in the chimney. Not sure if it's like that all the way down or just at the top. Does that powder stuff work? It's clean other than a thin layer of creasote. At this juncture I'm a little nervous about having a really hot ,flamey, fire going in it.

How do I get rid of the black glossy creasote, that is in my clay flue? I can get the stove hot and dry out the stuff in there and scrape it off. But my brush don't touch the stuff in the chimney. Not sure if it's like that all the way down or just at the top. Does that powder stuff work? It's clean other than a thin layer of creasote. At this juncture I'm a little nervous about having a really hot ,flamey, fire going in it.

usually it's a problem when there is a heavy buildup in the flue. if you're just seeing a thin layer near the top, it's kinda normal, since that's where the tiles are the coolest. I know that stuff can get real hard. I had a hell of a time getting it off my chimney cover. in fact, I left most of it on there. I've seen some over and 1 " thick!

but...be careful with the clay tiles...try not to be too rough on them so you don't upset the mortar!

I never tried any of the chemicals or creosote burning log things. I suggest maybe going after it when it's still warm...and no fire going, of course...lol but, if you run the brush up and down a few times, then check the lower flue with a good flash light and see what it looks like.

To say that you need to do a "daily burn off" insinuates that there is something in your pipe that NEEDS to be burned off. To phrase it like that, to me anyway, sounds like you're advocating small chimney fires on a daily basis. Like it's OK to neglect tending your fire, and building up creosote, as long as you start a fire in the pipe once a day to burn it off??????? My theory is to avoid ever having anything that needs "burning off". I have a 6" fully insulated stainless steel line in my existing chimney that helps to retain heat and keeps the flue hot. I use only seasoned wood below 20% moisture, most is below 15%. I also get my stove up to temp as fast as possible when I need to add more wood & try to keep it there as much as possible. I try to avoid having anything in my flue that needs to be burned off. Regardless, I shut down mid season to check it, and run my brush down anyway, and then clean it again at the end of the season. My home, and my family's lives are worth the time and effort to me to take a few minutes to make absolutely sure and give me peace of mind that there is no danger. I'm still not sure exactly what you mean by "burn off", but maybe it's the way you phrase it that's causing confusion.

I think the OP is saying that he basically runs the draft wide open for a period of time each day. We've done this regularly my whole life. Not a big deal just keeps things cleaner. I'm more used to a masonry chimney and this practice help but does not eliminate creosote buildup. A monthly shut down and brushing is safest.

To say that you need to do a "daily burn off" insinuates that there is something in your pipe that NEEDS to be burned off. To phrase it like that, to me anyway, sounds like you're advocating small chimney fires on a daily basis. Like it's OK to neglect tending your fire, and building up creosote, as long as you start a fire in the pipe once a day to burn it off??????? My theory is to avoid ever having anything that needs "burning off". I have a 6" fully insulated stainless steel line in my existing chimney that helps to retain heat and keeps the flue hot. I use only seasoned wood below 20% moisture, most is below 15%. I also get my stove up to temp as fast as possible when I need to add more wood & try to keep it there as much as possible. I try to avoid having anything in my flue that needs to be burned off. Regardless, I shut down mid season to check it, and run my brush down anyway, and then clean it again at the end of the season. My home, and my family's lives are worth the time and effort to me to take a few minutes to make absolutely sure and give me peace of mind that there is no danger. I'm still not sure exactly what you mean by "burn off", but maybe it's the way you phrase it that's causing confusion.

Who's confused?...I'm not. If you are, I'm confident going back and reading this thread again will help to clear things up.

I put a tin can in the stove full of bleach it steams the flue and disolves the creosote

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The picture below is 2 years of build up and the picture below that is after spending 30 minutes to clean it with a wire chimney brush.
The stove and chimney would have performed fine without cleaning but in my opinion I would like to keep it as clean as reasonably
possible. Cleaning also gives me a chance to inspect the chimney from the bottom up and the top down. You can see in the first picture
as the exhaust gases rise and cool more creosote condenses forming at the top. I do run the stove pretty hot to keep things clean as well
but it only does so much, it's not like a self cleaning oven unfortunately. What others do is their choice but periodic cleaning and inspecting
works for me.

Dirty 10-8-15.jpg

Clean 10-8-15.jpg

I no longer have a stove in the garage, (only woodburner I had) until the insurance company wasn't impressed with a wood stove and the combustibles in the garage.

I agree with the OP, a hot burn off is important daily. I did this every fire until the box was good and hot, then ran at moderate temps. I never attempted to let the stove smolder to just keep it going. Burn at a good rate or let it go out. Granted you can do that in a garage where that wouldn't fly in the house. I checked the straight flue every year and never cleaned it as there was nothing to clean in the relatively short stack.

The picture below is 2 years of build up and the picture below that is after spending 30 minutes to clean it with a wire chimney brush.
The stove and chimney would have performed fine without cleaning but in my opinion I would like to keep it as clean as reasonably
possible. Cleaning also gives me a chance to inspect the chimney from the bottom up and the top down. You can see in the first picture
as the exhaust gases rise and cool more creosote condenses forming at the top. I do run the stove pretty hot to keep things clean as well
but it only does so much, it's not like a self cleaning oven unfortunately. What others do is their choice but periodic cleaning and inspecting
works for me.

View attachment 470270

View attachment 470271

It's hard for me to tell but that first pic looks like creosote (dark & hard). It doesn't look like "light fluffy ash" to me. If it was light and fluffy, it would probably take you about 5 minutes to run a brush through it and knock off the ash. Don't know because we've never cleaned our flue.

Daily burn offs will take care of the creosote but I wouldn't do them with that pipe because there appears to be some buildup. You did the right thing by cleaning it. If a person is going to do daily burn offs, YOU MUST START WITH A CLEAN FLUE and do them consistently everyday. Don't be afraid to get your stove hot as long as it is within the normal operating limits of your stove. Don't leave the door ajar to get it hot because that's a good way to over fire your stove.

Snapped some pics this morning of our typical burnoff. The thermostat is on high and the bypass is open. We loaded the stove last night about 9:30 so there was plenty of fuel...no need to open the door, just turn the thermostat to high. We load this stove on a 24 hr. schedule with pine.

Overnight, the glass will get covered with creosote from being choked down (normal with this stove). Notice how, at this point of the burnoff, almost all the creosote is burnt off...just a little left in the corner of the glass. The cat thermometer is reading right at the upper limit (even though the cat is not engaged) and the stovepipe thermometer is reading almost 575* (single wall reducer). If that is accurate (probably close), the flue temp right above the stove top is approximately 1,150*. At that temp, any accumulated creosote WILL be burned off. And yes, it's true as the flue gasses rise they will cool. It is still hot enough (with our 15' flue) to either burn it or "dry" it, allowing it to flake off.

Attachments

• P1020298.JPG
    P1020298.JPG
    665.5 KB · Views: 26
  • P1020299.JPG
    P1020299.JPG
    677.2 KB · Views: 23
  • P1020300.JPG
    P1020300.JPG
    877.3 KB · Views: 20
Daily burn offs will take care of the creosote but I wouldn't do them with that pipe because there appears to be some buildup. You did the right thing by cleaning it. If a person is going to do daily burn offs, YOU MUST START WITH A CLEAN FLUE and do them consistently everyday. Don't be afraid to get your stove hot as long as it is within the normal operating limits of your stove. Don't leave the door ajar to get it hot because that's a good way to over fire your stove.

You just pointed out why this burn-off idea does not apply to everyone & every setup, and should not be universally recommended - don't do it if there is creosote in the pipe.

Most setups will make some creosote at the top of the chimney, starting with at the cap. Even starting with a bare clean chimney. That creosote can form no matter how hot you run your stove, and this burn-off thing will not do a thing about that. Over time, that creosote layer will work its way down the chimney. If you're doing burn-offs, there will come a point where the burning-off zone at the bottom, will meet the creosoting-up zone at the top - and a chimney fire will result. I know this can happen from the years I spent with my old unit - I had hot burning sessions daily, and still had to sweep 3 or 4 times a year, or chimney fires would result. And did, once.

Recommending everyone do a daily burn-off is dangerous.

You just pointed out why this burn-off idea does not apply to everyone & every setup, and should not be universally recommended - don't do it if there is creosote in the pipe.

Most setups will make some creosote at the top of the chimney, starting with at the cap. Even starting with a bare clean chimney. That creosote can form no matter how hot you run your stove, and this burn-off thing will not do a thing about that. Over time, that creosote layer will work its way down the chimney. If you're doing burn-offs, there will come a point where the burning-off zone at the bottom, will meet the creosoting-up zone at the top - and a chimney fire will result. I know this can happen from the years I spent with my old unit - I had hot burning sessions daily, and still had to sweep 3 or 4 times a year, or chimney fires would result. And did, once.

Recommending everyone do a daily burn-off is dangerous.

Did you read the very first post of this thread? In it, I say:

"DISCLAIMER: Daily burn offs must be done consistently everyday, and you must start with a clean flue. You can't allow creosote to build up and then decide to do daily burn offs."

You are right, if a person can't follow directions, it can be dangerous. Heck, anything in life can be dangerous if you can't follow directions. Running a red light can be dangerous as well.

Been burning wood since 1979 (parents house & ours) and never once touched the flue with a brush. Never once had a problem with creosote. Have done daily burn offs every single day since we started heating our home with wood. Daily burn offs may not be for everyone because some people aren't smart enough to keep themselves or their property safe. For everyone else, they are a good way to avoid problems with creosote.

It's hard for me to tell but that first pic looks like creosote (dark & hard). It doesn't look like "light fluffy ash" to me. If it was light and fluffy, it would probably take you about 5 minutes to run a brush through it and knock off the ash. Don't know because we've never cleaned our flue.

OP you should try it, the actual brushing does take 5 minutes but cleaning out the cap, cleaning the soot and creosote that falls to the bottom and reassembly takes about an hour. Call it what you want ,but I would bet you have some creosote mixed in with your perfect brown ash. You really should clean your chimney and there is no way you are burning off creosote all the way to the top especially with a masonry chimney.

Did you read the very first post of this thread? In it, I say:

"DISCLAIMER: Daily burn offs must be done consistently everyday, and you must start with a clean flue. You can't allow creosote to build up and then decide to do daily burn offs."

You are right, if a person can't follow directions, it can be dangerous. Heck, anything in life can be dangerous if you can't follow directions. Running a red light can be dangerous as well.

Been burning wood since 1979 (parents house & ours) and never once touched the flue with a brush. Never once had a problem with creosote. Have done daily burn offs every single day since we started heating our home with wood. Daily burn offs may not be for everyone because some people aren't smart enough to keep themselves or their property safe. For everyone else, they are a good way to avoid problems with creosote.

Yes, I read it. This is there:

Daily burn offs should be a part of every wood burners routine no matter what stove you own.

That's your opinion - my opinion is that is wrong, and it should not be a part of everyones routine, and to advise everyone to do it is dangerous and WILL lead to a chimney fire, for someone. It has nothing to do with how smart anyone is or you think they aren't.

Hi guys. For the third time this week, we have had to clean up this thread because folks seem to want to drag in accusations and insults from things that happened on another forum. If anyone else wishes to try and derail this thread with negative/attacking comments towards the OP or any contributor, there will be warning points assessed.

FYI this is meant to address those who have had posts removed. This is not in reference to those who are politely posting opinions that differ from the OP.

Thank you.

If I let my stove get hot like that it would be 95* in the house! I don't understand why it'd make any sense to try and get everything blazing hot when it doesn't need to. I've seen stoves only last a few years when they have to run pretty much full bore all winter.

I normally just let it go wide open until it's a bit in the active and then shut it down. Or if it's cold out I'll set the air to about 50% while it's warming up, otherwise there is too much draft, to the point that the stove almost rattles.
My glass stays clean. Only time it really soots up is when it's in the 40s+ outside and someone puts a bit too much wood in and damp it down more than it should for the temp. Not so much draft so the smoke stays in the stove more.

I've been heating with wood almost all my life with several different stoves and I've never done or heard of this "burn off". Last year I brought wood to a fire fighter that kept ranting about having to get the stove and pipe real hot to clean it out. Come to find out they have had at least 3 chimney fires in the last couple years.

I clean out my chimney every year or so, usually don't get much out of it... most of the junk is on the underside of the cap as it's pretty cold.

Snapped some pics this morning of our typical burnoff. The thermostat is on high and the bypass is open. We loaded the stove last night about 9:30 so there was plenty of fuel...no need to open the door, just turn the thermostat to high. We load this stove on a 24 hr. schedule with pine.

Overnight, the glass will get covered with creosote from being choked down (normal with this stove). Notice how, at this point of the burnoff, almost all the creosote is burnt off...just a little left in the corner of the glass. The cat thermometer is reading right at the upper limit (even though the cat is not engaged) and the stovepipe thermometer is reading almost 575* (single wall reducer). If that is accurate (probably close), the flue temp right above the stove top is approximately 1,150*. At that temp, any accumulated creosote WILL be burned off. And yes, it's true as the flue gasses rise they will cool. It is still hot enough (with our 15' flue) to either burn it or "dry" it, allowing it to flake off.

Back