unique splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really neat concept, not sure its as productive as a fiskers but cool nonetheless. I would have a hard time hooking a motor to that thing

Not sure exactly that guy was thinking? What are you actually saving with that welded mass of wasted metals?
you are bent over picking up rounds or moving them EVERY shot. then you have to push up on a spring loaded weight to "reload" the shot.
Crap that makes a Fiskers look like a nuclear reactor technology wise.. give me a $30 sledge any day over that thing...at least SOME times you don't have to bend over to pick up a round to move it.

The first thing that came to mind when I watched the video, was Kathy Bates breaking James Caan's leg in Misery.
Neat idea though.

o_O
Not sure exactly that guy was thinking? What are you actually saving with that welded mass of wasted metals?
you are bent over picking up rounds or moving them EVERY shot. then you have to push up on a spring loaded weight to "reload" the shot.
Crap that makes a Fiskers look like a nuclear reactor technology wise.. give me a $30 sledge any day over that thing...at least SOME times you don't have to bend over to pick up a round to move it.
Oh please tell me more about this fiskars!

Hmm - maybe that thing would be good for splitting the huge rounds into manageable pieces to put on the splitter.

I don't think this this splitter would work well for huge rounds. The swinging weight is a hammer, forcing the rounds against a fixed wedge. A heavy round has a large inertia. A large percentage of the weights energy would be wasted just getting the log to start moving. I think this splitter might work better on large rounds if the wedge was on the swinging hammer, and the log remained stationary against a foot plate.

I don't think this this splitter would work well for huge rounds. The swinging weight is a hammer, forcing the rounds against a fixed wedge. A heavy round has a large inertia. A large percentage of the weights energy would be wasted just getting the log to start moving. I think this splitter might work better on large rounds if the wedge was on the swinging hammer, and the log remained stationary against a foot plate.

Exactly!!

Harry K

But then you'd have the problem of the wood getting stuck in the wedge, and you couldn't exactly swing that back for a second blow. Perhaps a sledge-and-wedge would be best after all.

Back