Unsharp chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archminer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New here. Had a question. I've been cuttin firewood for the last couple weeks so I decided to send 2 chains into the local stihl shop and have them pro sharpened. I got them back today and they ain't worth a crap. Not sharp. They cut crooked. I even thru on a brand new chain to make sure it wasnt my bar. Handled like a champ with the new one.

I don't know if they didn't touch them or if they don't know what there doing? Would you take them back or how would y'all handle this? This is the first time I've ever had my chains pro sharpened and I'm not impressed, at all.

Sharpen your own chains, it's easy . . .

NOTHING beats maintaining your own equipment! With a job done like that, I would think twice about ever going there again. Study the info on this site get files etc. strive for perfection, or close as you can get.:msp_rolleyes:

I'd take them back and have a personal discussion with the owner. Let him try to use them so he can see the way his store's rep is being tarnished by substandard service.

And I'll also 2x the comment that you should sharpen your own. I got a cheap HF chain sharpener. It's not bad, if you pay attention and was 30 bucks.

New here. Had a question. I've been cuttin firewood for the last couple weeks so I decided to send 2 chains into the local stihl shop and have them pro sharpened. I got them back today and they ain't worth a crap. Not sharp. They cut crooked. I even thru on a brand new chain to make sure it wasnt my bar. Handled like a champ with the new one.

I don't know if they didn't touch them or if they don't know what there doing? Would you take them back or how would y'all handle this? This is the first time I've ever had my chains pro sharpened and I'm not impressed, at all.

Some dealerships are better than others just depends on the guy using the usg

Welcome to A.S.!

Some shops are better than others. Some guys in some shops are better than others.

If you are dissatisfied, go back and speak with the owner in a reasonable maanner - ask if he thinks the chains were sharpened correctly. Maybe somebody new did yours.

If that does not do the trick, find another shop or learn how to sharpen your own. Ask around for the name of other shops, or someone who can teach you.

Some references below, or use the 'Search' feature here on A.S. (lots of different ways/opinions - you have to choose one that will work for you). Be careful of YouTube videos - some are good, some are really bad.

Philbert

STIHL Sharp Advice for Chainsaw Users http://blueandwhitecrew.org/files/SharpAdvice061301final.pdf

STIHL Video Library - Informative Videos about STIHL Outdoor Power Equipment | STIHL USA Mobile (Chapter 3: Sharpening Your Chain)

Carlton Products

Sharpen your own chains, it's easy . . .

I do sharpen my own. Try to keep them touched up when I'm in the woods to. I do pretty good with a hand file. My uncle taught me when i was around 13. Just thought I'd treat my chains to a good pro job. Lol.

Do any of you guys sharpen by file exclusively? It's all we have done for years. We aren't what you would consider pros though. Just on the farm and such.mSome guy at work told me I should have them ground every third hand sharpen so I thought I'd give it a try.

Think ill have a talk with the owner and see what he has to say.

My round chains I do exclusively by hand file

The square ones I have a grinder for

Did they touch the rakers? If they are cutting crooked it as much poorly ground rakers as anything else.

Did they touch the rakers? If they are cutting crooked it as much poorly ground rakers as anything else.

You can make it as sharp as you want? But if they have taken so much off the cutter (lots do!?!?) then the faker needs filed down also. An overlooked part that a lot of shops do. Not the majority. But quite a few.

Check the faker height with a gauge? If over? I'd take them back.

I file by hand only - takes a little practice at first but will produce very good results, better than machine-sharpened chain in my opinion.

Once you get a feel for how dull the chain is, where it suffered most and when it is really sharp, a quick filing during breaks won't take more that a few minutes.

good question. i was just kinda pi##ed off that i didn't think to check them. that sounds about right though. had the saw sitting in a cut and i could rev it up and the saw would just sit there and not bite in.

ill check them in the morning before i start cutting. suck though, to pay for a sharp chain and to have to rework it before i even cut. think i will still
have a word with them when i go to town.

thank everybody.

The teeth are likely over heated as well, which means they're likely done. The vast majority of shops have no clue how to sharpen a chain, and even less care. Overall I'm not a fan of the average grinders, high end square grinders are a different story. Like mentioned above, learn how to sharpen your chains properly and save your money.

As the owner of a business I always appreciate feedback, including negative feedback. It's the only way we learn.

The teeth are likely over heated as well, which means they're likely done. The vast majority of shops have no clue how to sharpen a chain, and even less care. Overall I'm not a fan of the average grinders, high end square grinders are a different story. Like mentioned above, learn how to sharpen your chains properly and save your money.

You have to try pretty hard to blue an entire tooth. I've rescued plenty of burned teeth with just a light grinding.

You have to try pretty hard to blue an entire tooth. I've rescued plenty of burned teeth with just a light grinding.

That's the problem, you have to grind to restore them, it's almost impossible to restore them with a file, and if you're out in the field you're SOL. Most here know how easy over heating a tooth on a grinder is. I'm simply not a fan of grinders, they need coolant IMHO.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back