Unusual ( stupid) stuff that youv've burned

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vibes

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Somebody brought up an old thread about burning tires. I had to laugh at it and thought about adding to it, but I never burned tires in the woodburnerI have heated with some crazy fuel through the years and thought I'd share.

Being last years was such a mild winter, I had 2 pallets full of covered mixed wood from last season. I store my wood under a 80ft highpine tree. Kind of a natural weather sheild. Well that tree attracts lots of Red squirrels and 2 stacks of split wood attracts them even more. Last summer was a banner year for nuts around my place. Theres 2 walnut trees across the road, and a large beech in my yard. So the squirrels were busy and they loaded up my pile of wood with nutshells and pinecone pedals to the point that there was 7, 5 gallon buckets full. The stuff was dry because its under rubber and I had to get rid of the stuff so I to figure why not burn it. Short story long, I burned 3 buckets today and lasted 5 hrs and kept the exhaust temp at 350 degrees. I have 4 more buckets to burn. I call my new fuel squirrel mulch.

Another dandy I had to burn this year was an old oak and poplar I think desk. It was in a garage that my freind is renting an he wanted it gone. What the heck. The electric chain an 15 minutes and I had over 1 1/2 wheelbarrows full.

I've brought up on here before that at one time I was quite a fur trapper. If time allows and fur prices are good, I still do. Well one of the best fuels I have found that turns into just waste for me is Raccoon carcuses. I was turned onto this by a fur buyer that was in my area years ago. He had an outdoor boiler and he heated a large house his shop and another out building that way. I trapped last year and tried it. They burn like oil. very hot, to the point that the draft had to be turned down low. I cleaned the chimney after a weekend of carcus burning and it showed nothing unusual. The nice part of it was when you were outside, it just smelled like chichen cooking.

Those are my last 3 I can think of. What have you burned other than wood?

I've gotten rid of several deer carcasses in the OWB. After the hair is gone it pretty much smells like grilling out.

Cleaned out the book shelf once and ended up with a large pile of books. Burned em down but it actually took a couple days.

When I was young my job was to load all the wood my father cut. He was / is a frugal man. He cut everything on the tree into firewood. I can remember loading grapevines cut up into firewood. Some of those were huge. Could have split them. We made newspaper logs, burned pallets, thick cardboard tubes and made fire starters from toilet paper tubes stuffed with dryer lint.

I can remember burning lath that was removed during renovations. That stuff was dry. The Buck stove burned it all.

Chuck

Accidentally burned the can opener that had fallen into a bag of paper that I planned on burning. Couldn't find the can opener for a week until I finally found it packed in some ashes in the back of the boiler. :msp_scared:

I cut my brothers hair last year and I swept it up and decided to throw it in the wood stove since I was close to it, It stink so bad ill never do that again lol!

I have heard of people burning animal carcasses in their outdoor wood burners I have one and I am afraid of doin that although I usually bag a couple deer and rabbits in a season.

A guy I work with farms and is thinking about building a round bale burner so I thought I would burn some square bales I had, I tied a couple flakes together and threw them in it burnt hot and fast but you talk about smoke the old hardy looked like a freight train!

I also burned magazines once ill never do that again it burnt along time but put of some odd colored smoke! I will be sticking to seasoned wood from now on lol!

There was a guy near my camp that had a pile of rotten round bales. He pushed them all into the center of the feild and lit them. Talk about stench. It was the worst smoke I've ever smelled and it smoldered for close to a month. I'm sure the neighbors were b@tching and you could smell it 3 miles away.

747 airplane tire. Years ago in younger/dumber times we torched a 747 airplane tire off a home made pull behind skidding dray once upon a time. Then another once upon a time some buddies and me had too many brain grenades and thought if a regular tire makes a great fire how would a 5 foot tall 3 foot wide tire do. Short story long an aluminum magnesium rim that large makes it so you can see 300 yards deep into a cedar swamp. I was never so afraid of the cops coming in my life. Once we seen it was out of control I tried to hit it with an ABC fire extinguisher from my pickup and the powder that shoots out acted like hairspray on a lighter. Not good. Had to let it burn down and throw dirt from 25 feet away on it till we could bury it. It smoldered under the dirt for almost 2 days.

Couple Christmas ago I had this garbage bag for the raping paper and after we cleaned up all the cards and such were put in the bag I went out and burned in the burning barrow right after Christmas dinner; I didn't know that there was gift cards and cash in those Christmas Cards :jester:

When I was a firefighter, we responded to a report of a house fire. When we got close we saw tons of black smoke coming from the house. When we pulled up we realized all that smoke was coming from the chimney. The drunken rednecks had put a tire in the wood stove. It was completely out of control. The residents had been ran out of the house by the over fired stove. It was easily 150-200 degrees in the living room. We entered the house and put the tire out with a couple of extenguishers. If we had not showed up when we did i'm sure we would have been fighting a house fire.

When I lived in VA the missus took it upon herself to clear out a stash of old paperbacks and other assorted paper and cardboard by burning it in the woodstove. I was at work at the time.

She seriously overfired the stove and cracked the chimney. It was bad, there were cracks in the blocks that surrounded the clay tile liner. I asked if she heard the chimney cracking. She said yeah, thought it was normal.

We divorced soon afterwards and it didn't matter, to me anyhow. They kept the house a few years after that. Her Dad passed away and she and her new hubby moved away.

Found some Google aerial photos of that house recently. The chimney had been replaced.

Couple Christmas ago I had this garbage bag for the raping paper and after we cleaned up all the cards and such were put in the bag I went out and burned in the burning barrow right after Christmas dinner; I didn't know that there was gift cards and cash in those Christmas Cards :jester:

A honey have you seen the Christmas cards?

What cards?

The ones that were on the floor by the wrapping paper.

I took them and the old wrapping paper out and burned it already, why?

YOU WHAT!!!!!

Did I get close to the actual conversation?

I burned a little bat today. I'm doing some brick removal on my house and found a bat behind the bricks. I didn't want to leave it where our dogs would get it and the stove (in my shop) was about 15' away so whoosh away it goes. 15 minutes later the furnace started huffing and puffing, I'm thinking somebody wasn't so happy.

Back