Update review 550xp and new MM

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tjcole50

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg So got to finally get some serious time with the new 550xp and since added a custom muffler from terry landrum at wickedworksaws. I must say the new sound is music to my ears. I compare to it to a rice burner civic to a big block now haha. The tone is much deeper and has a very nice pop when at wot. I can safely say paying the extra to have him do it was worth it! Stock muffler was 58$ so I figured hey pay the couple extra bucks and have someone do a clean job! But since having a few tanks through the 550xp it has woken up even more and keeps pulling harder and harder! Feels great. Sadly due to the wet ground I have not been able to get back to my cutting spot, fields are pure mud right now :(. But I could not let that hold me back and decided to drop a couple in the back yard. I have about 20 more to drop next to my garage but I really wasn't planning on doing that this year. How could I resist with a brand new muffler. My only issue with is it's hard to see in the pictures but the second side deflector pushes on the small metal heatshield next to the chain itself. It still turns by hand but it did force over a bit.

Edit forgot to add that terry is a very nice dude , talked to him on the phone bs for a good. 1/2 hour about saws/fishing/etc. Stand up person and may buy a ported saw from him for my next purchase !

I really broke the 2253 in this week that i got from terry its a hell of a runner i cannot wait to get a 2272 from him when they come , terry is a good dude , enjoy that saw they are fun to run

To bad I had to work today. Can't wait to get up tommorow and finish cutting. Muff mod remind me of first time getting dual exhaust back in the day hahah! Thing screams to be run harder

You guys think where the side deflector meets the metal guard next to the chain is an issue? Chain links do rub against it slightly

Would any damage happen if I remove the side deflector? Figure quick cut with a cut off wheel would remedy it . Unsure if an open exhaust port there would damage that. I know if I just try to flatten it I will break the welds holding it. Open to options

Looks like you have plenty of shagbark to cut. What area are you in?
Looking at your muffler I'd think you can snip or cut with a dremel a little line to help you smash it down some.
How much run time do you have pre muffler mod? What are your impressions post muffler mod?

It looks to me like thats a 266 deflector which is a stamped piece of sheet metal... I would pull the muffler and give it a few taps with a soft blow hammer. Its not going to hurt a thing to push that deflector in just a tad.
FWIW I bend and shape those quite often to make a snug fit to what ever muffler im adding a port to.

Tried giving it couple taps when fitting the first time and broke the weld on the the back side . I think cutting a line down it or something to allow some flex should work
Is that the muffler you paid $90 for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Two relief cuts on corners and some re shaping now g2g. Putting muffler back on lines up with bolt holes easily now and don't have to pry it over up against that metal shield next to chain

I'm sure tLandrum has a very good idea of how to do an effective muffmod. Nice enough "mod to the mod" to make it fit better. If you find that you are never going to reinstall the stock muffler, you can probably get near-new price for it by selling it on the 'net.

Congrats on the new saw! Hope you get to really put some hours on it soon. It's always nice to see "new-saw pics" after a "which saw" thread.

I'm sure tLandrum has a very good idea of how to do an effective muffmod. Nice enough "mod to the mod" to make it fit better. If you find that you are never going to reinstall the stock muffler, you can probably get near-new price for it by selling it on the 'net.

Congrats on the new saw! Hope you get to really put some hours on it soon. It's always nice to see "new-saw pics" after a "which saw" thread.
I was going to buy a stock one and mod myself but figured pay a bit extra for a better job and support smaller business like more people should! Just hope that metal plate next to chain can handle the heat!

Latest posts

Back