Upgrade to a bigger saw, MS500i or 390XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day Aussie farmer.
Interesting read about your new stihl 500i.
Before getting to the bit about where you bought the saw, I did a bit of research (because I'm looking at the same question as you = what saw to buy)
Tending towards the Huskys, they were first lookup. Easy to find specs on power, torque, rpm and weight (all the critical stuff) - all laid out straight and clear.
Looking at the 390 and the 395 saws, they run the same rpm (9600) but the 390 is 88cc and 4.7nm, and the 395 is 94cc and 5.9nm (20% more torque).

Cutting seasoned hardwood I want lower rpm with plenty of torque, so the 395 is the pick for the extra 600gram weight penalty.
Best saw ever for this was the old stihl 08s. - what a beast.

Then stihl.......... crikey... I didn't know they were an top secret C.I.A. classified organisation !
Lots of lovely sales evasion like "plenty of power and torque" (yeah - how much actually?) no reference anywhere to rpm, not even in reviews. Just lots of warm fuzzy talk by stihl funded "experts" saying "it's really good" ..............It might be "really good" - but the 1970's car salesman tactics ring alarm bells.

It will be interesting to hear your experiences with the 500i -
= does it really run a 3/8LP chain?
= how fast does it rev?
= how quick does the chain spin?
= how well does this setup work on dry redgum / ironbark.?

will follow your answers closely - thanks.
I have seen independent torque measurements. The 500I has a big rise between 9000 and 6000 rpm, but can rev to 13000. Mine uses a 3/8" RS chain, 0.050 gage. It revs to a chain speed of 62 mph in about 0.2 seconds. I use it on oaks and hickory mostly, with an occasional walnut or locust. In white oak, it cuts through a 12" round in 5 seconds or less. In 18" red oak, 10 seconds or less.

Based on the torque curves, I think the MS500i might do better in the larger wood, but either will work. The Husky weighs a bit more.
Have had the 500i for a while now and have been fairly impressed with performance, imo it could use a bit more torque and perhaps the trade for that is less power. I have been refining/tweaking the filling angles and depth with better results. When it is in the cut the chips are spitting flat out and it cuts like a hot knife through butter. It brings a smile to the face and boy it gets the job done rather quick.
I do like the lower weight of the 500i and as I am not getting any younger, less weight is a good thing.
Pic below is a 30"bar on the 500i, typical of a few old trees I needed to remove before they shed branches and fell over, 20t jack :)

Attachments

• RadiataPine.jpg
    RadiataPine.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 0
Have had the 500i for a while now and have been fairly impressed with performance, imo it could use a bit more torque and perhaps the trade for that is less power. I have been refining/tweaking the filling angles and depth with better results. When it is in the cut the chips are spitting flat out and it cuts like a hot knife through butter. It brings a smile to the face and boy it gets the job done rather quick.
I do like the lower weight of the 500i and as I am not getting any younger, less weight is a good thing.
Pic below is a 30"bar on the 500i, typical of a few old trees I needed to remove before they shed branches and fell over, 20t jack :)
That is some big wood! I just cut firewood and use a 20" bar normally. I figure if my 20" bar won't cut it, it is too big for me to lift and too big or firewood. Using the 500I is less fatiguing for me than other saws I have used. I am also a senior citizen, and I have had a shoulder joint replacement 4 months ago. Though I am not fully recovered, I don't seem to have a problem using the saw but I am admonished to not cut above chest level for now. And yes, i does bring a smile to my face every time I use it.

That is some big wood! I just cut firewood and use a 20" bar normally. I figure if my 20" bar won't cut it, it is too big for me to lift and too big or firewood. Using the 500I is less fatiguing for me than other saws I have used. I am also a senior citizen, and I have had a shoulder joint replacement 4 months ago. Though I am not fully recovered, I don't seem to have a problem using the saw but I am admonished to not cut above chest level for now. And yes, i does bring a smile to my face every time I use it.
But you will eventually grow older yeas, and embrace that MS 241cm no doubt...

But you will eventually grow older yeas, and embrace that MS 241cm no doubt...
I doubt it. After using the 500i, the 241cm would feel like a toy. I think when I can no longer handle the 500i, I will also no longer be able to handle lifting and splitting wood, so I will have to hang it up. But I hope to be able to do it until I am at least 85.

Latest posts

Back