Husqvarna 390XP vs 395XP ...which one is the better saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes you can, but if you’ve never had a top end off of a saw, you are probably better off not doing the base gasket delete on a new or nearly new saw.

You can buy a muffler already modded or do it yourself. Timing advance is easy you just need to be sure that the flywheel is properly seated so you don’t inadvertently shear the flywheel key.

I realize this is an old thread, but as to the initial question, my 394 is the only large saw I own I hate running.
It starts fine, 2-3, sometimes 4 pulls, cuts very well. pulls longer bars & oils fine, but handles aweful.
Like a tanker ship anchor.
I run my 661almost daily recently & mostdays I go from 8-9 am until sundown at 830-10 pm doing junk logs into firewood these last weeks, and will be until I run out of logs, or buyers for the wood. Low on both now, but anyhoo, back to topic.
my 661 is only a pound ish lighter when full of fluids & with a bar vs the 394, but I can run it day in day out without major fatigue issues and still feel fine sfter work.
I can only run the 394 for an hour before it gets heavy, I get tired and I start cussing atthe handling aspect of the 394. I don't recommend the 394, to anyone. unless putting it on a CSmill to stay.
That's where mine sits, and it works well for that, better in many regards than the 661. The 661 is a great saw, as is the 372. I would absolutely recommend the 372 vs.the 394/5 no matter experience level.
It cuts a bit(not much at all) slower in 20" wood vs, the larger saw, but at the end of the day the smaller saw is much more productive. Especially after a whole week of long days!!!
My 661 feels only slightly bigger/heavier than the 372, but again, it is personal preference. I would not like to own the 395/550 combo. The 550 is a good size for a homeowner and ranch saw, but too small for 50% of my wood if I hope to be productive. The 394 is too big/awkward and ruins production from the other end of the spectrum handling wise. The 372 is a great size, and out of all the ones I have used, 65-70cc is the best for overall long term use by the average user IMO.
I personally like the 661 more, but I am the only person I know who's picked it up the first time and not immediately commented on how heavy it is.

I realize this is an old thread, but as to the initial question, my 394 is the only large saw I own I hate running.
It starts fine, 2-3, sometimes 4 pulls, cuts very well. pulls longer bars & oils fine, but handles aweful.
Like a tanker ship anchor.
I run my 661almost daily recently & mostdays I go from 8-9 am until sundown at 830-10 pm doing junk logs into firewood these last weeks, and will be until I run out of logs, or buyers for the wood. Low on both now, but anyhoo, back to topic.
my 661 is only a pound ish lighter when full of fluids & with a bar vs the 394, but I can run it day in day out without major fatigue issues and still feel fine sfter work.
I can only run the 394 for an hour before it gets heavy, I get tired and I start cussing atthe handling aspect of the 394. I don't recommend the 394, to anyone. unless putting it on a CSmill to stay.
That's where mine sits, and it works well for that, better in many regards than the 661. The 661 is a great saw, as is the 372. I would absolutely recommend the 372 vs.the 394/5 no matter experience level.
It cuts a bit(not much at all) slower in 20" wood vs, the larger saw, but at the end of the day the smaller saw is much more productive. Especially after a whole week of long days!!!
My 661 feels only slightly bigger/heavier than the 372, but again, it is personal preference. I would not like to own the 395/550 combo. The 550 is a good size for a homeowner and ranch saw, but too small for 50% of my wood if I hope to be productive. The 394 is too big/awkward and ruins production from the other end of the spectrum handling wise. The 372 is a great size, and out of all the ones I have used, 65-70cc is the best for overall long term use by the average user IMO.
I personally like the 661 more, but I am the only person I know who's picked it up the first time and not immediately commented on how heavy it is.
Based on what I’ve gleaned here, I’m leaning toward the 572XP, the newer mod of the 372. It sounds like the 395 might be too much of a good thing.

Based on what I’ve gleaned here, I’m leaning toward the 572XP, the newer mod of the 372. It sounds like the 395 might be too much of a good thing.
With your current collection in your signature that would be a great saw to have, but I'm not sure how your awesome wife or the 10 kids cut :laugh:.

With your current collection in your signature that would be a great saw to have, but I'm not sure how your awesome wife or the 10 kids cut :laugh:.
The oldest is 18, 6 foot five and kind of a monster. He does ok. The younger olders run the splitter and stack. Many hands make light work...unless I’m lugging a 390 xp, apparently.

The oldest is 18, 6 foot five and kind of a monster. He does ok. The younger olders run the splitter and stack. Many hands make light work...unless I’m lugging a 390 xp, apparently.
That's awesome, I feel a little "under staffed" with only 5.
The 572 isn't too far behind a 390 and it will probably be right with it in time per cut after subtracting the time saved with the 572 with the captured nuts, and the fuel economy, and it's smoother:chainsaw:.

The 572 isn't too far behind a 390 and it will probably be right with it in time per cut after subtracting the time saved with the 572 with the captured nuts, and the fuel economy, and it's smoother:chainsaw:.
And the side mounted tensioners unlike my 394

5 kids is a solid start, sir. A solid start indeed. Thinking 20” bar will do that saw fine? Argument for 24”?

Latest posts

Back