Husqvarna 390XP vs 395XP ...which one is the better saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shimaze

Wallet Logger
Reaction score
Which saw is the better Husqvarna saw: the 390XP or the 395XP?

When I say better, I mean which one better built, better designed, easier to use/maintain ...which one will last longer?

I know the difference is the 390 has 6.5 horsepower and weighs 16.1 lbs and the 395 has 7.1 HP and weighs 17.4 pounds and costs $100 more. I am not concerned with the 1.3 lb. difference or the .6 HP difference and $100 isn't going to make much of a difference when spending this much money. The two things I am looking at is the chain brake handle and the chain adjustment. The 390 is the better saw in these two points. Two other difference are the quick release filter cover and the adjustable chain oiler. Of the two saws, I am certain that both will work for my application and both will have enough power to cut thru the biggest logs I have. And I don't think the weight difference will be much of an issue because I won't be using a big saw day after day like a professional logger does. What I don't know is are the seemingly better features of the 390 really that big of a deal and is it worth sacrificing a bit more horsepower.

Husqvarna's comparison chart

I am new to chainsaws and I have never really used a chainsaw. I am coming from a paltry 42cc Craftsman 18" chainsaw that my Dad gave me. But that doesn't qualify as a real chainsaw. All I know is the Craftsman just didn't cut it ...pun intended! I burned it up or something. It would idle just fine, but soon as I revved it up it would quit running. The oiler never worked so I manually oiled the chain with a can oiler I bought from Harbor Freight. I have had enough if stupid saws and I want something that will cut for as long as I want to cut. A dead tree fell on my daughter's car a couple of days ago and I am now on mission to get a couple of good quality saws that will last me for the rest of my life and will be there for me when I need them. I am interested in the Husqvarna professional series line of chainsaws. I have my mind set on a 550XP for the smaller stuff and either the 390XP or the 395XP for cutting down trees and cutting them up for firewood. I already have a log splitter.

I live on 4 acres and I have several dead trees that need cut down. I am a do it yourselfer so I just don't want to pay someone to cut them down. I wood much rather cut them down myself and save the money for some good chainsaws. Plus, I heat my house with a wood burning furnace. It is a Harman SF2600 that burns wood, coal and fuel oil. I need something that won’t let me down and cut for as long as I care to cut wood!

Yes, this is my first post.

Thanks, Shimaze

Old thread related to the 390XP vs the 395XP

They are both very good saws with proven track records in commercial use. Both respond well to porting work.

The 395 has the edge in grunt with long bars (36”, 42”) or in a milling application.

The 390 is more nimble, saves some weight, and is plenty powerful for most uses that don’t require burying 32”+ bars in hardwood all the time.

Which saw is the better Husqvarna saw: the 390XP or the 395XP?

When I say better, I mean which one better built, better designed, easier to use/maintain ...which one will last longer?

I am looking at is the chain brake handle and the chain adjustment. The 390 is the better saw in these two points.

Two other difference are the quick release filter cover and the adjustable chain oiler.

Yes, this is my first post.

Thanks, Shimaze

Old thread related to the 390XP vs the 395XP

If you are not in a hurry you can wait until October and go to the Paul Bunyan show in eastern Ohio and test them out.

The 390 is inboard clutch and 395 is outboard would that make any difference to you? I think the 390 is more designed for felling of the two.

395 would be better with bars over 32" and milling. How long of a bar do you think you'd need? If 28" or less, maybe a 372 or 576 would be a better choice. I have a Stihl 661. Close to the 395 specs. Great saw but it wears you out pretty quick. A good 70cc is very capable and much less tiring to run.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

I am in your same situation. But have repaired a few and owned 50+ Husqvarna saws. Current line up is 562, 2-372, 390. 562 & 372 get the most run time. Use the 390 for trees 30 inch and over, but 372 would do the job fine. You can come run mine anytime. I would susuggest, go handle and run them, if they will let you, buy what you like and forget all of our suggestions. That's why so many of us buy and sell until we find our right plan.

@shimaze, what size trees do you plan to cut? The 390 and 395 are larger than most homeowners require. I would never recommend an inexperienced person to buy either for home use but I suppose they are just as deadly as a smaller 70cc saw. Speaking of which, a 24" bar is typical for a 70cc saw like the Husqvarna 372xp. That is the best all around mid size saw from Husqvarna. With a 24" bar you should be able to cut firewood as large as 40" if you cut from both sides. There really is no good reason to buy a 390 or 395 if the 372 will do the trick.

I agree that a 550xp would be great for most of your cutting. These new 50cc saws are so light and powerful, you will pick up that saw 90% of the time. But for that other 10%, I think a 372xp would suit your needs much better. Personally I would keep. 18" and 20" for the 550, and a 24" and 28" for the 372. Don't mean to sound rude, but a 390 or 395 would be very dangerous for someone with little experience. Even the 550xp will feel like a hotrod coming from your last saws.

I appreciate all the wonderful feedback from everyone. You all have me thinking seriously about the 372. But I think for now, I will just go with the 395. I may look at the 372 as a third saw when I get more into it. I do appreciate the concern of a novice homeowner getting hold of such a powerful and dangerous saw and NO offense was taken. But I am fully aware of the dangers of a chain spinning at 10k RPMs with cutters on it. If it can cut thru a 24" log in seconds, it can cut my leg off quicker than that. But any chainsaw is dangerous. I will take extra caution always, especially until I get used to it. I may even consider finding a professional tree cutter to work with so I can learn how to use properly use the saws and to learn valuable safety precautions.

I think getting the most powerful saw will probably be the best idea. I know the weight is a bit excess at 17.4lbs, but the horsepower is rated at 7.1HP. I would rather have too much power than not enough. I am thinking of a 28" bar. Some of the stuff I need to cut is about 24" or less. If I get worn out from using such a heavy saw, I will just pick up the 550 or find something else to do.

The 550 will take care of a lot of the lighter work. I have a lot of fallen limbs and smaller stuff that the 550 will be used for. Having a lighter saw will negate the need to always need to use the 395. If I was only getting one saw, I would probably be more inclined to get the 372. I will likely go with a 18” bar for the 550.

I will post some pics and videos of my new saws when I get them and provide some newbie feedback for other novice users should they have the same concerns.

Thanks, Shimaze

I appreciate all the wonderful feedback from everyone. You all have me thinking seriously about the 372. But I think for now, I will just go with the 395. I may look at the 372 as a third saw when I get more into it. I do appreciate the concern of a novice homeowner getting hold of such a powerful and dangerous saw and NO offense was taken. But I am fully aware of the dangers of a chain spinning at 10k RPMs with cutters on it. If it can cut thru a 24" log in seconds, it can cut my leg off quicker than that. But any chainsaw is dangerous. I will take extra caution always, especially until I get used to it. I may even consider finding a professional tree cutter to work with so I can learn how to use properly use the saws and to learn valuable safety precautions.

I think getting the most powerful saw will probably be the best idea. I know the weight is a bit excess at 17.4lbs, but the horsepower is rated at 7.1HP. I would rather have too much power than not enough. I am thinking of a 28" bar. Some of the stuff I need to cut is about 24" or less. If I get worn out from using such a heavy saw, I will just pick up the 550 or find something else to do.

The 550 will take care of a lot of the lighter work. I have a lot of fallen limbs and smaller stuff that the 550 will be used for. Having a lighter saw will negate the need to always need to use the 395. If I was only getting one saw, I would probably be more inclined to get the 372. I will likely go with a 18” bar for the 550.

I will post some pics and videos of my new saws when I get them and provide some newbie feedback for other novice users should they have the same concerns.

Thanks, Shimaze
One thing to be careful of is pinching the bar. Keep some wedges handy to keep the kerf open. Small saws get pinched and usually just get stuck. Big saws get pinched and will shoot straight back. Don't know if you consider other brands but I love my Stihl 661. Super smooth and powerful. Good luck and be safe!

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

As has already been said, be Very Careful, not only until you are USED to that size saw, but forever after as well.

Also seriously consider some PPE, a Good helmet and Chainsaw Chaps, can go along ways in making a BAD Day, into an Ouch, **** that didn't feel too Good Day ;)

I'm currently on a 4 saw plan, all Husky I've had a 266XP and 23 Compact for 26+years, added an ugly, but runs good used 460 Rancher to keep in the Pick up, and back in September added a 3120XP to the Husky Herd, and the Wife got a 445 for Christmas.

In the future I would like to add a 550XP and a 395XP. The 395, almost exactly splits the difference between my 266, and 3120. I plan on doing some milling with the 3120, so the 395 would be a Nice Big saw to have, without changing out the bars on the 3120. The 550 would split the difference between the 266 and 23 Compact very nicely.

Then you also just never know what little all orange toy might just follow you home. Last week on Craig's List, there was another Very Clean looking 266XP near my work listed for $200, THAT took a lot of will power to resist, but not surprisingly, the temptation didn't last long, as someone else must have realized what deal that was:(, I didn't "NEED" it, but I sure was Tempted:yes:

Doug

Thanks Husky Man for the suggestion on the protective equipment. I will consider getting some chaps and a helmet.

I like your multiple saw plan! But you forgot everyone's favorite: the 372! Maybe you need to make it a 5 saw plan? As for me, I may later look into adding a 372 to fit nicely in the middle. But I will have to see how this chainsaw hobby turns out. I am getting a good start with 2 saws. I think three would be the most I would ever need. Man I sure hope my wife does not monitor this thread! But I seriously doubt I would ever need the 3120. I really don't need the 395, so the saw of all saws is completely out of the question.

If you are not in a hurry you can wait until October and go to the Paul Bunyan show in eastern Ohio and test them out.

The 390 is inboard clutch and 395 is outboard would that make any difference to you? I think the 390 is more designed for felling of the two.

I recommend the 390. If you have to get a big saw. The 395 is primarily a falling saw.
Really, I recommend the 372 for you. Its really a great saw and as you have very limited experience. It is a far better saw for you !! .
The 395 is kind of a beast. The 390 a bit less of one.
Husky really messed up with the dogs on the 394 +395 . I made custom dogs for mine that were perfect. The 390 W dogs look just like the 372 W's dogs . They got the math figured out with them and they work great.
The outboard clutch is a better feature for a falling saw. Until you get hung in a tree that is unraveling on the stump . And have to get the power head off the bar and chain quickly under duress.

372 W is my recomendation. I know that's not one of the options.
But , that's my experienced advice.

Tramp Bushler, I appreciate the advice! Everyone keeps telling me to get the 372. I wish I knew someone local that had both the 395 and the 372 so I could try both of them. I generally always get the most power I can. That is why I bought a 500cc 2-stroke dirt bike instead of the more common and easier to handle 250cc. It is a Honda CR500AF. I also have a Trail Blazer SS, Impala SS, and a Camaro Z/28. I get the fastest one in its class. That is just my mindset and it applies to saws too.

Back to chainsaws: Everyone is telling me to get the 372. Is it really that much more user friendly and easier to handle?

Latest posts

Back