Upgrades for a ms660??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can also upgrade to the R model oiler. It pumps twice as much oil which comes in handy for longer bars. A Dp muffler will work fine. You can also get alot of gain just by opening up the stock outlet and cutting off the front of the internal baffle as MTNGUN already said. You should open that stock outlet up to 3/4"-7/8" and you can still bolt on a DP if you want. Cutting that front off the baffle helps alot.
Other than that, you will have to get into some porting. There's plenty of guys on here that do good work. PM me if you need more info on that subject. Can't mention names in open forum.
It is not the R model but the AU/NZ model that comes with the different pump. If you look at the IPL you can find the numbers for the other pump. I picked one up but haven't put the parts in yet. I forget where my guy had to get them from but I'm not sure if it was here in America.
Chad

It is not the R model but the AU/NZ model that comes with the different pump. If you look at the IPL you can find the numbers for the other pump. I picked one up but haven't put the parts in yet. I forget where my guy had to get them from but I'm not sure if it was here in America.
Chad

The 460 R comes with the upgraded oiler. And yea, it's upgraded parts, not the whole pump. It's two parts you need and the cost is around 30-40 bucks I believe.

Last edited:
The 660 has 3 oil pumps, standard, wrap, Oz. Yes you can just change the internals.

I was pretty sure the wrap (R) had the upgraded oiler setup. It's just the same pump with the upgraded piston and control bolt. Were on the same page. I don't think I have seen the OZ version though. Thats cool.

So OP, if you bought the R, you should have the upgraded oiler.

I was pretty sure the wrap (R) had the upgraded oiler setup. It's just the same pump with the upgraded piston and control bolt. Were on the same page. I don't think I have seen the OZ version though. Thats cool.

So OP, if you bought the R, you should have the upgraded oiler.

Again, no the standard and the r are the same. The OZ version is a high output. As for the 460, that upgrade is different and will also work with the 361.

Again, no the standard and the r are the same. The OZ version is a high output. As for the 460, that upgrade is different and will also work with the 361.

Yea, you're right. I'm all mixed up. Thinking 460 for some reason.

But is it a different pump in the OZ 660, or the same pump with the upgraded piston and CB?

Yea, you're right. I'm all mixed up. Thinking 460 for some reason.

But is it a different pump in the OZ 660, or the same pump with the upgraded piston and CB?

Just an upgrade on the two parts. For the cost I can do it my self. I think they might have cost me 40 bucks give or take and the pump was about 90. In my 361 I don't keep it much above normal but at least I have it. With the 660 I've yet to show any burn on the chain so I am waiting to change it out.

Just an upgrade on the two parts. For the cost I can do it my self. I think they might have cost me 40 bucks give or take and the pump was about 90. In my 361 I don't keep it much above normal but at least I have it. With the 660 I've yet to show any burn on the chain so I am waiting to change it out.

I'd like to do my 361 also. Like you, my 660 has never shown a sign of inadequate oiling. Up to 28" bar buried anyways. My old 066 would oil a 32" with no probs.

Well with response to my choice of chain I have the following bars available for my 038 and 660

28" .63ga w/ .375 tip (Oregon 75CJ - 3 reels)
32" .63ga w/ .404 tip (Woodland Pro 43RCS - 3 reels)
36" .63ga w/ .375 tip (Oregon 75CJX - 5 reels)

Well with response to my choice of chain I have the following bars available for my 038 and 660

28" .63ga w/ .375 tip (Oregon 75CJ - 3 reels)
32" .63ga w/ .404 tip (Woodland Pro 43RCS - 3 reels)
36" .63ga w/ .375 tip (Oregon 75CJX - 5 reels)

That is alot of chain. Are they all 100' reels? Or do you mean loops of chain, as in one loop of say 115dl for the 36" bar?

I hope you saw that I put a "want to buy" ad in the classifieds for a 32" .404 bar? Thanks in advance!

Anyway either the 32" or the 36" bar for the 660 and a 25" bar for the (heavy) 038 with semi-chisel. I know that was not the answer you are looking for but a 28" bar is pretty long for brush work. You can use it but it won't be fun.

Ok... my bad... I meant "Loops" and yes the 28" has 91 DL, 32" has 96 DL and 36" chain has 114 DL.
I did not see that "Wanted" ad... but its a Stihl bar so not sure if your interested still... The chain an bar would have to be a package deal.
The 28" pulls alot better than the 32" that I bought it with...

Ok... my bad... I meant "Loops" and yes the 28" has 91 DL, 32" has 96 DL and 36" chain has 114 DL.
I did not see that "Wanted" ad... but its a Stihl bar so not sure if your interested still... The chain an bar would have to be a package deal.
The 28" pulls alot better than the 32" that I bought it with...

PM with a price on that 32" bar and chains. Maybe we can help each other out. Include shipping in your price. I live in 95060.

Back