Upgrading splitter pump from 11 to 13.5gpm. A few ?s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohoen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, I have done some research but I could still use a bit of help. I'll try to add pics later if necessary.

I have an old northern splitter, probably around 20yo. It came with a Briggs 5hp motor which died this season.

I replaced the motor with a HF Chonda Predator 212. Supposedly 6.5hp, right? Anyway, works great.

Last week the pump started spitting fluid out at the shaft. I was told they are not rebuildable.

I read that 6.5hp will run a 13gpm pump just fine. So I ordered the 2 stage one from northern that seems to be popular. Haldex, I think, though it's just labeled northern. 13.5 gpm

Great. Mounted it up and find that it wants what looks like a 1" hose on the suction side. Mine is 3/4". The fitting on the other end is a barbed 3/4 into a 2" male with strainer.

So now I'm looking for a 2" strainer with 1" female but all I'm finding is 2" strainer with 1 and a1/4" female.

So I'm starting to doubt my measurements/brain. Usually when what I'm looking for is unavailable it's because I'm looking for the wrong thing.

Next issue. My pressure lines are 1/2". Is this adequate?

Not sure what the tank volume is but I thought I'd just rest a hand on it every once in a while to make sure things weren't getting too hot? Bad idea?

If I could find a decent hydraulic supply place near me (upper valley new Hampshire) all of this would be a lot easier. But so far no luck.

I'd really appreciate any help you guys could offer. I'm trying to get those last few cords split and stacked before the snow flies!

1/2" lines should be fine, it's not like you're doubling your GPM.

What adapters do you need to install the new pump? Seems like something you could order online if nothing is local?

You should be fine with the set up you have. As for the suction line, sounds like you just need an adapter. (A pic would help) No hydraulic shops around you? Any farm supply stores or construction/ag equipment dealers? They usually have hydraulic parts. Heck, try a NAPA store, most around here stock hydraulic fittings/hose/parts.

Thanks guys. I will look for a 1" to 3/4" adapter for the suction line. That would certainly be the simplest and cheapest. My TSC wasnt well stocked last time i was there but I wills wing by there tomorrow. I'll try napa next, didn't know they carried hydraulic stuff. After that I'll try the ag construction route.

I'll get some pics up later this week when I have some time. Hopefully I'll have it running by then.

Thanks again!

Everything else is fine, your not going that much more gpm. Get the 2" to 1.25" strainer, install a 1.25" male to 1" female reducer, then a 1" male hose barb, and the hose to go from tank to pump. I'm assuming that the outlet is ok since you never asked. On the suction side you can use black iron fittings but some here will say no. You SHOULD NOT use them on the pressure side . A hardware store should have them. or these items

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-7290-125&catname=hydraulic

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-5406-20-16&catname=hydraulic

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-4404-16-16&catname=hydraulic

That! Thanks For the handholding boogieman. I was wondering About the black fittings as well.

Anyway, I will try to source stuff locally first.

Oh, do you guys recommend a breather instead of just a plug at the fill point?

And yes, the pressure side fitting was the same.

That! Thanks For the handholding boogieman. I was wondering About the black fittings as well.

Anyway, I will try to source stuff locally first.

Oh, do you guys recommend a breather instead of just a plug at the fill point?

And yes, the pressure side fitting was the same.

No problem. You should have a breather as the oil expands/contracts as it is heated up and cooled off. I would recommend local stuff but figured the pictures would be of a help. Glad you lucked out on the discharge side.

Latest posts

Back