Urban logging. Anyone do it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a micro mini scale, my neighbours had a big branch of baygrape come down in the last blow...it fell on their little cedar...I went over cut out the branch and pruned up the wee cedar...
Well, baygrape (Cocoloba uvifera) is beautiful, a deep brownish red when cured, dense, super flexible in thin laminate...its unusual to get a subtantial piece...I just could not bring myself to cut up this little log yet, going to see if a cabinetmaker friend wants to play with it,...it's all of 6" by 8'...small items, laminate, inlay...just want to give it a try before condemning it to rot in the bushes.

What are we...'sensitive' arborists? At least I have an excuse guys!!:cheers:

I'm a sensitive arborist, quite proud of the fact, and my treecare business thrives even in this depressed economy. I've been called names and told I'm flat out stupid for using canola oil as bar lube in a chainsaw. However, the science proves otherwise, I'm 9 + years into it, still doing just fine, saws are running strong, all 4 seasons, no downsides, just benefit. A lot of pro saw users are changing over without any problems. However, there's the larger crowd that won't change simply because change is change and change scares the crap out of a lot of people. All I can do is bring the information to the front, let the community make their own choices and not lose sleep over it.

TM, you do some really cool work.
Heh, heh. Thanks, MD. I thought the treehouse was a cool idea, too. The creative / artsy fartsy part of me is perpetually inspired. The science side is uniquely trained and talented. The business side of me is dumb as dirt sometimes.

This thread is titled 'Urban Logging', though more accurately it's Urban Wood Reutilization. There is no 'Logging' in the urban forest, just making use of logs or wood, or selling the occasional premium log that is gotten.

For me, the GOAL is to recycle the wood, to somehow use it in the best way possible and never have anything go into a landfill or have to be driven any real distance to be gotten rid of. This mindset has more than paid for the 'losses' and on a day-to-day basis I ride the wave where being 'green' pays off in the form of money-in-pocket.

Here's a couple pictures of what I consider my most successful log utilization to date. If I can bear it, I might share the least successful, even though it was the coolest and most interesting thing I've ever done.

Hold for a second, this picture is one of my failures. This site is a neighborhood entrance onto a rail trail, where an old railroad track was taken out and turned into public hike/bike/rollerblade trail through the city.

I work in this neighborhood and am part of the volunteers that maintain this entrance, an easy gig for me as all they need is chips once or twice a year. However, one day I got inspired and decided the best way to reutilize a surfaced-off log was to donate it to the site of this entrance. That way the public has a place to sit, rest, put on or take off their skates, whatever. You see it in the background.

attachment.php

It was an 'anonymous donation', I went in after dark, towed the log down the trail with my truck and the arch, placed it appropriately and then I silently bailed. This shot was taken a week later as the people in the hood who knew me, knew who did this deed. It was like, who else would have?
I took the shot because the question kept coming up, "How did you get it there?" With this image, I save having to voice a thousand words.

Anyway, the public loved it. The city was furious from what I got from someone on the 'inside'. It was not formally OK'd by the city so they came and took it away. I would have removed it had they just asked. It was a really nice log and I'd sunk quite a bit of time and work into it up to this point. In fact, I bought the tractor arch specifically for this tree and for big logs thereafter so that big logs could be moved efficiently.

Another good deed and the subsequent punishment.

Last edited:
TM-you sound like a really decent guy. I too have found out that old saying about no good deed..., is often true. There are many out there who are culls of one kind or another, but there are still many good people. You did good.:cheers:

These days I'm more likely to whip out a stump bench in under a half hour, as seen in the picture and walk away.

attachment.php

I'll do this because I see the art in the standing piece and I'm inspired by natures beauty and want to preserve it in some form.

The problem is I see art in every tree I look at. Sometimes I buck up firewood and it just hurts knowing the wood is valuable.

Some good work TM, I like your stump bench.
There is a book on this very subject. Harvesting Urban Timber.
Don't know anything about it, but have seen it for sale.

Thanks TM for sharing and telling the story what of urban logging is REALLY about. I see articles in the trade pubs about the subject and you would think their is some kind of big market out there for urban logs but in reality there isn't.

Like many, I too have wanted to save high quality logs for making boards instead of firewood out of them. In reality more money is made in the firewood than the sawing of logs.

Small scale projects like eye catching tables, chairs and small benches along with some carving can probaly find a nice niche market for some decent coin. That is as far as I would go with this saving logs from the landfill issue. If you could dump logs in a landfill. Chips and firewood seem to be the best end use for our wood.

Making outdoor benches or stump art from stumps and big logs can also bring in some decent coin if you can find the right buyers. I have done this and liked it. It isn't that time consuming or that hard on saws. In the long run it is more profitable than than trying to make boards with a chainsaw.

I haven't tried or gotten into hardcore milling. I have done enough free hand stuff to see that for the amount of time, not to mention the wear and tear on a saw that the numbers wouldn't add up for the return you would get. When those that mentioned the time, selection of the best pieces and the restacking of lumber I am glad I stayed out of it.

Last edited:
Here's a shot of that same trail log, still standing with the shipping wrap still on the arch. This tool has made urban log usage entirely possible for me as having a crane truck was more expensive and less practical. This wouldn't be the case for many commercial tree services, but it was a very good choice for me.
attachment.php

A buddy of mine who also runs his own small tree service mills a lot of wood. He bought a portable band saw mill like 20 years ago and sells a bunch of rough cut lumber. I get him to remove all my big take down logs that I am being paid to remove. He removes for free to me and makes some $$ on the milling. Truly a win win for all involved.

I too have a log arch and it has been great. I think for the most part, milling has been good for me. I never have dump fees. I dont pay for the milling because half of the wood goes into pallets. space is an issue, effeciency is an issue. Im sure ill figure it out though. its a learned trade and there is no better way to learn than experience. But now, I dont really see any other way. Dumping a great log isnt going to happen. I know that there is true value in that log. Its just a matter of tapping into it. Cutting it into firewood is way harder than milling and takes up way more space. One thing i think that is important is to not get to sentimental about the wood. I have passed up deals to sell my wood because i have grand schemes for higher purposes.

I meant it in the best possible way...so nice to read about people doing good things and caring about our surroundings, and I've gleaned some good ideas from this discussion:cheers:

Same here, I've done some crude benches before but forgot about it. I've volunteering for with a local River Revitalization Foundation and just offered to do some log benches for the trails.

headerblue.jpg

Our Mission:
The mission of the River Revitalization Foundation is to establish a parkway for public access, walkways, recreation and education, bordering the Milwaukee, Menomonee and Kinnickinnic Rivers; to use the rivers to revitalize surrounding neighborhoods; and to improve water quality.

From the past to the future, we are committed to the return of this vital natural resource for all as Milwaukee's urban rivers land trust.

http://www.riverrevitalizationfoundation.org/

Last edited:
I've gleaned some good ideas from this discussion:cheers:

Really? You like?

I have a few more picture, and these upcoming will be chosen 'specially for you, Bermie.
I call these small benches.

Quick and easy, small potting benches, or shelvage. It's a short series.

I think you'll like this one, Bermie.
This was a dead, standing maple, about 10" diameter, I got the wise idea to mill it vertically, like while the trunk was still standing, right through the major fork (crotch wood). The idea being that gravity would pull the saw down and assist in the effort of ripping a couple primo shelves. Once the shelves are cut (on the hoof) then you 'fell' the tree (in 4 slabs). :clap:

The lady had just moved into the home and was so very much wanting to just make her yard look nice, but having to work a new job she had little in the way of that kind of time. She had bought all these flats of flowers and plants, all there taking up space on the ground. Se was trying. Creativity struck and I say thank goodness for sharp chain and a good saw.

This project was spontaneous, it was quick, and it gave me something ideal to do with the wood, onsite. And it really made her day.

And now we all get to share the picture:

attachment.php

Look at the spalting in the wood. Isn't that beautiful? This milling was done freehand, no chalkline or any marked line whatsoever,and using a regular full-chisel crosscut chain, not a special ripping chain. True ripping chain can make a smoother cut, but it's still rough-cut plankage. Full-chisel chain is just flat out faster and it's what I like, fast, using the chain I'm already using.

This, as I remember, was one good deed that did not carry a punishment.

Small benches

Here are a few more.

All these pieces were created from the waste parts from the surfacing of the big, dead elm that the city took.

On the whole of the 'good deed goes punished' scale, this good deed kicked me in the nuts.

Good stuff, though.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This was a firepit zone. I had been using this area there in the background for chip recycling for a couple years, and after a couple hundred loads of chips over that time, I had gotten to know the locals living right nearby. Consensus was that they would like an area where they could have a campfire.

This is what I came up with.

attachment.php

we keep our good logs until we get a good boom truck load, make a phone call to the amish and have an auction. we get paid to remove them and then get paid "some" for the lumber. we charge $40 an hour to load if they can't do it themselves

cedar

Took down two cedar trees and cut to 6' 1" lengths. Could load the logs by hand with 3 people. Got back 200 1 by 6 and 200 1 by 4 fence boards. Thought it was worth the effort verses making firewood.

Milled with bandsaw.

Latest posts

Back