Used 372XP pre-buy inspection questions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clearwater

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am going to look at a used Husqvarna 372 XP tomorrow. It is supposed to be about a year or two old with not a lot of use. The guy is asking $200 for the power head only.
I plan on running it, pulling the muffler to look at the P&C, feel for bearing play on the end of the crank.

What else should I do? I don't have access to a compression gauge. I do have lots of time running a 372 XP, but never had to open one up or do serious work to one.

I really don't need this saw, but you all know how it is...........

Dave

one things for certain, don't post any info about where that saw is. for $200 it will be gone in a heart beat regardless of pre inspection if any member close by knows about it. i think that should tell you enough. get yer ass over there and buy it. will be an XT unless it's older then he thinks.

one things for certain, don't post any info about where that saw is. for $200 it will be gone in a heart beat regardless of pre inspection if any member close by knows about it. i think that should tell you enough. get yer ass over there and buy it. will be an XT unless it's older then he thinks.
They go for 200 in pieces.

i don't have a compression gauge either, whenever i bought used i checked the compression with the pull rope method, even for just the powerhead I'd say that a good deal, you wont find one in my neck of the woods for 200 running

Sort of looks like I need to make room for another saw. Hope it's still there tomorrow.
I would post the location of the saw in hopes another member would get there to keep an eye on it for me, but I don't want to impose.

Dave

Yeah, my $0.03 cents...
A year or two old with little use and selling for $200? That sounds fishy. New they are ~$850.
I would pop the top/side cover and look for genuine Husqvarna stamping in the plastic, make sure it has the ID/serial tag... But taking off the muffler and looking at the cylinder would spook me a bit as a seller if a buyer showed up and started dismantling the saw that much. Especially if they let you run it and it runs.
Also, don't expect to be able to check for bearing play.

Good luck with buy.

Brought it home for $150.

This saw was on consignment at a Stihl dealer. We did pull the muffler and everything looked good inside. Also put a compression gauge on it and it had 135 psi. It fired right up and ran well. Offered $150 and it was accepted.

This saw is more than a few years old and has seen lots of use, but it doesn't seem to have been abused. What to do with it now????

lots of them here on the facebook trading post. i don't even have facebook but i get the wife to scan the trading post for me daily lol. picked up some wicked deals out of there. then there are of course some people right out to lunch asking more then new. just a few weeks ago i picked up a like new MS170 in a stihl case with manual,spare chain, bar oil, and a 6 pack of stihl oil with one missing. picked it up for $20 and sold it to a carver for $150 2 days later. kept the oil though lol. i think my best score was a 394 for $100 but it wasn't running. doesn't happen often though of course but worth keeping an eye out.

I would think a Stihl dealer would know better. Or a guy that sells it on consignment would have bought it new and knows what he paid. Something is fishy...

I would think a Stihl dealer would know better. Or a guy that sells it on consignment would have bought it new and knows what he paid. Something is fishy...
Stihl dealer has no benefit to jack up the price. When his customers come in he can say "see those junk huskys don't hold their value like your Stihl."

Latest posts

Back