Used engine oil into B&C oil questions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The costs of operating a chainsaw properly are so minimal compared to other equipment, why not just do it right.

Hello,

Thanks to everyone who replied to this post. First off I want to just restate the fact that the company I was referring to does make large quantities of B&C oil from used engine oil. With that being said I don't think that a clean filtered product made from used oil would be anymore damaging to the environment than any other. I do agree that veg oil may be overall better but that is not something that i'm looking for. I am just trying to figure out what the best process would be to clean out as many of the contaminants as possible. If I can figure out a process this would be used for a fairly large amount of oil so the savings would be spread across much more than just a few gallons.

Thanks Again

Main problem with used motor oil is that there are a lot of dissolved metals and blowby in there. Rather toxic stuff. The other thing about motor oil is that it usually has a lot of detergent in it. Detergent is the worst thing in there for the environment that I see here (streams here are always sudsing up because of it). Detergent also counteracts the effects of a tackifier. If you have to use motor oil as bar oil, at least use non detergent. All bar oil sold around here is non detergent 30 wt oil with a tackifier and some have a dye.

Bar oil is expensive here. Gas has come way down, but bar oil here is still between $10-12 a gallon. A rip-off. So to counter that I use canola oil in my saws, and have been doing so for several years now. No problems using it, and it is far cheaper than bar oil. I get it for about $6 a gallon at WalMart. Even better, I use canola oil in my deep fat fryer at home, and I use the used paper-towel-filtered fryer oil in my saws as well. No problem with that either. And if I spill some? The dog licks it up. If I spray it around my property? It biodegrades. If I get it on me, my yard, or the kids? No problem. I read someplace that canola oil is about 500 times less toxic than virgin petroleum based motor oil. I sleep better at night using it. I have also bought some used saws in the past where the owners have run used engine oil and they generally stink, are messy and hard to clean up, and they are usually worn pretty badly. I refuse to buy any more saws that have been run with used engine oil in them.

Back