• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Used Foredom or alternative wigglesworth is the winner!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right angle is my next purchase after I sell a saw.

This tool is just for my entertainment. If I don't have the cash it won't get bought.

If you guys have air compressors, air pencil grinders are very affordable. You can get a straight shaft and right angle for under $150 total. Easy to oil, and as the compressed air expands, it keeps things cool.

The cc specialties stuff is no doubt first rate equipment, but at the price, is more than most shade tree saw guys can justify.

If you guys have air compressors, air pencil grinders are very affordable. You can get a straight shaft and right angle for under $150 total. Easy to oil, and as the compressed air expands, it keeps things cool.

The cc specialties stuff is no doubt first rate equipment, but at the price, is more than most shade tree saw guys can justify.
I tried to find what you're talking about but had no luck. Can you please give some web addresses?
For one thing, how do you control the speed of the pencil hand piece?

old-cahand pieces 034291 said:
I tried to find what you're talking about but had no luck. Can you please give some web addresses?
For one thing, how do you control the speed of the pencil hand piece?

The good air handpieces allow you to control the speed by adjusting the amount of air that goes into the piece. I had no luck finding one that would fit inside a 50cc cylinder and allow me to rework transfers. They all measured about 2" deep without a carbide bit

http://www.use-enco.com/1/1/34331-ut8708-universal-tool-90-angle-right-pencil-air-die-grinders.html

Scarr52 ?? had some right angle hand pieces a while ago I bought the regular style hand piece Chinese copy to go with my new HF grinder and messed 3 288 cylinders in a hurry it was great bunches of fun... Good thing the trees took off most if not all the fins though.. jI wanna say that the right angles were like +100$ IIRC ??and the type 30style was like 30 or so with the ride don't quote me its been like 6 mo or so since I purchased... he might even be out Im not sure?? he seemed like a nice guy though

I went back and found the info from 6 mo ago from his old add :
I paid 18$ for the 30 style
and rt angles were $ 117
I DONT KNOW IF HE STILL HAS ANY OR IF HE WILL SELL ANY IF HE DOES. just some info that's all.

Check out use-enco dotcom. Search for ut8708 right angle pencil grinder. Normally 150, but they have a 15% off coupon this month, and free shipping. 1/8" shank carbides are $6-15.

And, harbor freight has a $30 straight shaft pencil grinder. 20% off coupon online or in your newspaper ad.

Speed is controlled by twisting the handle on the handpiece.

Affordable tools for a guy learning to port saws or other 2 strokes. Air tools, like all tools, have certain advantages and disadvantages. If I was making my living with my tools, I wouldn't hesitate spending 1500 on the CC Specialties stuff.

My jeweler/goldsmith buddy got me a kit with motor, foot petal, and hand piece for less than 200.oo about 2 yrs ago.
I will ask where he gets them.
He has 4 hanging on his bench, 2 fordoms and 2 grobets.
The motors, shafts, and foot petals are as good as Fordoms.
The Fordom hand pieces are smoother over their life than Grobet in his daily use opinion.

The foot petals of both brands have better and smoother speed control than a sewing machine petal.
I have 5 sewing machines at work, one of them is for sewing heavy web gear, canvas etc. I have experience squishing a petal.

I've wondered about using a sewing machine pedal.
I'm using a sewing machine pedal I raided from my mom's old singer on my Dremel. had to do a little wiring but it works great. I keep a cut off disc on so I don't have to keep switching bits on my flex shaft grinder.

Don't buy the fleabay cheapies, foot control quit after 2 hrs. Rheostat was 15 carbon pucks stacked and pedal applied pressure to stack, the harder you push the more current flows. Pure crap, the pucks just crumbled. HF unit is well worth using, mine is 2 yrs old and still working fine. CC Spec. and Foredom are worth the money if your doing more than just hobby stuff. Angle handpiece is a must for transfer work.

I've got a cheap motor set up that Durand had with the 182 hand piece. I've got several straight hand pieces from Shaun. They won't get near as hot as the others.

Scarr52 ?? had some right angle hand pieces a while ago I bought the regular style hand piece Chinese copy to go with my new HF grinder and messed 3 288 cylinders in a hurry it was great bunches of fun... Good thing the trees took off most if not all the fins though.. jI wanna say that the right angles were like +100$ IIRC ??and the type 30style was like 30 or so with the ride don't quote me its been like 6 mo or so since I purchased... he might even be out Im not sure?? he seemed like a nice guy though

and rt angles were $ 117
I DONT KNOW IF HE STILL HAS ANY OR IF HE WILL SELL ANY IF HE DOES. just some info that's all.

Sir step away from the 288 cylinders...

and rt angles were $ 117

I have some of the #30 styles on hand and I can get more of them or the slim handpieces.

I haven't gone into production on the contra angle handpieces. I currently get 2-3 saws worth of porting out of my test mule before I tear the drive tang out of the dental head. $15 head and I'm back in business but I'd like to find something more substantial, or maybe I shouldn't be running an aluma-hog on it. Anyway if I have a lot of interest I can tool up and make them.

Latest posts

Back