Used military trailers??????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pcoz88

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Any body use one of these trailers for firewood? Iam thinking about getting one.:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::jawdrop:

I have a buddy with one, it's built like a tank...only a single axle but leaf springs that could hold a house...

You mean jeep or deuceandhalf trailers?

Not for a while, but would snag another one in a heartbeat if I could find a good one locally. They are awesome for beating the crap out of, overloading, and generally pounding on like a rented mule. Tires are cheap, maint. is easy.
If ya spend the long dollar and get Bows and canvass, they also make a nice camper, and with a few Mods can be just about anything ya want. I have seen them turned into mini luxury apartments for deer camp.

Colemans surplus has some good ones, but I am not driving that far for a trailer unless it's mint and cheap.

Last one I had succumbed to both rust, and it's use for hauling waaay too much over logs. I ended up selling the the poor thing to a local Rust picker for 50 bucks. I had 100 bucks in it!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

You may have to do something funny with titling... Around here, you can title them as "home made", IIRC, but some places don't allow that... Either way, I don't they come from govliquidation with a title most of the time...

Mike

ETA: the auctions are here, and there is a military or guard base in driving distance from about anywhere in the CONUS... http://www.govliquidation.com/

http://www.govliquidation.com/list/c7588/lna/1.html

Last edited:
I bought a 1 1/2 ton from local gaurd base.. I added a scissor to it and now it's a dump trailer. Like everyone said you sure can't over load one with wood and still be able to pull it... It is amazing how cheap you can get one these days... Marc

I bought a 1 1/2 ton from local gaurd base.. I added a scissor to it and now it's a dump trailer. Like everyone said you sure can't over load one with wood and still be able to pull it... It is amazing how cheap you can get one these days... Marc

You know you have to post pics, right?:clap: Do you have brakes?

PIC'S!!!!!!

Just so we can gloat about what a genious ya are, while we of course shamelessly steal ideas.:D

The trailer I had was a 3/4ton Jeep trailer. There is no way to overload them period, and I don't care if ya load it with a block of lead that is 4' taller than the sides. LOL! at one time I almost did that hauling wheel weights and old linotype.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Only possible drawbacks I can think of are that you'll need to get an adjustable height pintle hitch for your receiver, or convert the hitch to a ball (a step backwards in my opinion). The tongue height is fairly high on these when they're sitting level.

A tongue extention would be a great help if pulling with a long truck, they're plenty short and not the easiest to back. Backing them with a duece with no power steering was fun back in the day, when the trailer becomes visible in the mirrors, it's almost beyond the point of no return.

Air over hydraulic brakes on them, IIRC. I'd think they could be converted to electric/hydraulic with some work, or use the "brakes, we don't need brakes" theory (at your own risk of course).

Other than that, they're pretty much bulletproof, and the big truck tires will hold more in a single than tandem 15" tires will.

That's exactly what I was looking at buying one for, to make it a wood dumper....we do need picts :)

Back