Used Stihl 440

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highdesignfool

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking at this 440 on the local classifieds. It seems pretty clean from the pics. I had him pull the muffler and send me the picture. Does it look scored to you guys? The one side looks a little iffy to me.
I haven't seen it in person, just wanting your opinions. He is asking $600 USD
15c105478f7e8f525dd01e19936900dd.jpg
df510312f3efcedd582d79012b3920ae.jpg
47242a055acb6c1a78f4ef267d185268.jpg
552d747d77e0d5e9c46e25458c50e75f.jpg

It looks to have a new piston? Has it been rebuilt with a China piston, or an Oem, or a meteor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That right hand side of the port concerns me a little, that alongside the fact it has what looks to be an AM piston would make me want to start searching for a vacuum leak. Have you heard it run?

Just running it id be looking for an erratic idle, and if it sounds like it revs up very quickly and seems to scream up to high revs That can't seem to be brought down much with richer img the mix id be very wary and bid accordingly

That's a nice saw. Price seems too high to me though. Even more so if it has an after market top end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also on further reflection it looks like someone has had a go at porting that saw (poorly) as the exhaust port is uneven and has classic "dremel rash" from someone going at the port with a carbide bit, getting bored and not sanding and polishing it down. But that certainly isn't a standard cast finish.

If it's been "ported" so badly, I'd say avoid on this one. The price is on the steep side without all of this doubt around the top end

Back