Used tractor trailer heavy duty tarps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audible fart

MS390 OAK CZAR
Reaction score
In my travels i see the occasional person using a very heavy tarp on top of their woodpile, most likely from a flatbed trailer. I envy these people because of their hardcorps tarps. I need to track down a tarp like this. If you tracked one down tell me how much $ it was. I'm so far ahead firewood wise that i want to cover a row of firewood on pallets with a thick hardcore tarp. I have vowed to never again use tarps that are thinner than richard simmons' manpanties.

Those tarps are easy to find, when I worked for the International dealer in Mobile Alabama, we had an endless supply of them.

Check out your local phone book, and get the addresses of several trucking companies in you area.Forget about calling them, just make a visit and ask to talk to the maintenence shop foreman.Tell em what you need, and chances are he will point you to a pile behind the shop of used and somewhat torn up tarps.Bring along a good box knife and a few extra blades, you will find trying to fold up an entire tarp rather tiring.If they dont have any laying around, let em know you would like some and willing to part with some cash, and it wont be long before your phone rings. The tarps are almost useless to a trucking company once they are torn, and they generally heave em once they get a rip in em.Rarely do they try to repair them. Your best bet are companies that exclusively haul flat bed freight, especially sheetrock and other building materials that have to stay dry.

you may also find some at army surplus...any color you want as long as it's green..:hmm3grin2orange:

Those tarps are easy to find, when I worked for the International dealer in Mobile Alabama, we had an endless supply of them.

Check out your local phone book, and get the addresses of several trucking companies in you area.Forget about calling them, just make a visit and ask to talk to the maintenence shop foreman.Tell em what you need, and chances are he will point you to a pile behind the shop of used and somewhat torn up tarps.Bring along a good box knife and a few extra blades, you will find trying to fold up an entire tarp rather tiring.If they dont have any laying around, let em know you would like some and willing to part with some cash, and it wont be long before your phone rings. The tarps are almost useless to a trucking company once they are torn, and they generally heave em once they get a rip in em.Rarely do they try to repair them. Your best bet are companies that exclusively haul flat bed freight, especially sheetrock and other building materials that have to stay dry.

So that's where all the rich truckers live...:laugh:

I've seen tarps going down the road here that are more patch than they are tarp, and new tarps are far from cheap. If you can get them there for little or nothing, get all that you can...:cheers:

I have been ordering the kind of tarps you have described for years. I use them to cover my boats,pop up camper, cover for trailer debris, and firewood. On average they last a little over 10 years outside in the sun and elements. I get the ones in 18 oz. vinyl coated polyester fabric. Polyester holds up better against UV than Nylon. I usually get them in green. I order the exact sizes I want and need, and in the long run are cheaper than buying the el cheapos that last about 8 months or so. I also get the grommets placed every 2 feet. The one for my 20 foot boat is 26' x 14' and weighs around 70 pounds, (just guessing). You can request free samples, too.

-----------------------------------------------
Harps Tarps - Flatbed Tarps, Dump Truck Tarp Systems, Nursery Tarps, Sun shield Tarps, Awnings, Custom Industrial Tarps
Fabric styles... Harp's Tarp Fabrics
Quote for a specific size...(probably flat tarp) Tarp Quote Request Forms
----------------------------------------------
DS-Sewing truck tarps covers and accessories for truck fleets and independent owner operators.
Pre-made tarps... D.S.Sewing Truck Tarps - Flat Truck Tarps
Custom sizes... D.S.Sewing:Custom Size Tarps Design Your Own Rectangle, Square, Circle, Or Box Tarps With Our Custom Price Generator

I used to pull flat beds and had 2 full drop tarps. When I sold that truck I swore I would NEVER pull another tarp. SO When I dug my gold fish pond, I lined the bottom with the tarps. That way there would be no chance of having to use them again! LOL
Ask around, there is always someone willing to give some away. Check with some retired drivers if you know any.

I've used rubber roofing. Expensive but its nice and thick/heavy. You won't need to tie it down at all. I was able to get a small roll from a roofing friend.

Latest posts

Back