using a dremel to sharpen chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmermike

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anybody use one? I'm getting tired of the hand file. Was at the hardware store today and a dremel cost 40 bucks and they sell an attachment for sharpening chains for 14. Don't know if I can get a wallmart cheapie and still use the attachment. The only thing I'm going to use it for is touching up my chains. Have never tried to file the rakers. Usually I hand file them a few times and then take them to the hardware store to get sharpened. He only charges 4 bucks and files the rakers to. Thanks for the help.

farmermike said:
Anybody use one? I'm getting tired of the hand file. Was at the hardware store today and a dremel cost 40 bucks and they sell an attachment for sharpening chains for 14. Don't know if I can get a wallmart cheapie and still use the attachment. The only thing I'm going to use it for is touching up my chains. Have never tried to file the rakers. Usually I hand file them a few times and then take them to the hardware store to get sharpened. He only charges 4 bucks and files the rakers to. Thanks for the help.

Cant' really answer that although I think it would take a real toll on the dremel after a while.

I know a NZ woodturner who sharpens his chainsaw chains by hand on a regular 8 inch grinding wheel. Too weird, but somehow he makes it work. He has been doing that for over 20 years.

I do. I bought a couple of grinding stones at wally mart and touch it up after i use it. Figure i can do it 5 or 6 times then machine sharpen it to correct my dremel sharpening job....Bob

hand sharping is the only way for me

I hand sharpen all my chain it takes time but chain last 10 times longer then when grind them .I hand file i put my saw in vice this helps lot . The biggest saw I have only has a 18inch .So it does not take to long .Compare to money it saves me on it is really worth it.

I have done it also. If you can hand file, you can use this very well. Some come with the guide which is helpful but with Northern tool having that grinder for $100, it's hard to pass on that. Plus those grinding bits don't last very long and are quiet expensive.

Dremel is what I use. with the little guide plate with the angles marked on it.

Really easy and quick although I'm not sure how good a job it is. Seems to work fine for me though.

I ignore all the naysayers and after doing it by hand for 30+ years last year I started using a dremel :heart: .

I will never go back to hand filing. I have an inverter in the truck so I can do it during coffee break if I am close to the truck. Otherwise I just throw on a new chain as I alway bring a spare and sharpen when I get home or back to the truck.

I touch up my chain every night with the dremel and am ecstatic with the results. Takes like 2 minutes and I always have a sharp chain.

I also use it far more for the brush cutter as with that you are hitting rocks all the time. I probably sharpen 4-5 times a day with the dremel when using it.

You have to watch the stones as they wear quickly and become too small so I keep these smaller ones for doing the brush cutters. You also have to be sure to move the dremel back and forth the entire length of the stone to keep it wearing evenly.

I was taking out a stump with my MS660 for a friend and the friend was freaking about my hitting a rock and ruining my chain as I was so close to the ground. I whipped out the dremel and sharpened the saw 3 times due to rocks in the stump and we had that stump level to ground in less than 15 minutes, including the 3 sharpenings. He couldn't believe how low to ground and how quick we got done the stump. He was amazed at how quick it was to sharpen the 28" chain on the MS660. He had given up removing the stump with his saw due to the time to sharpen it and was on his way to buy the stones after I left.

Works for me!!!

dremel

i have used one but aint worth a krap. too hard see and hold steady. go buy a bench mounted grinder.that way you can do rakers and make chainsaw chain to your own tastes. just my pennys worth.:blob2:
:popcorn:
:cheers:

Stihl makes a 12v grinder that works very well and is similar to a dremel. It also will lower the raker gauges as it has a depth plate and a gauge to set the stone height with. If im not mistaken it sells for about $30 or so.

MikeInParadise said:
I ignore all the naysayers and after doing it by hand for 30+ years last year I started using a dremel :heart: .

I will never go back to hand filing. Works for me!!!

I stand corrected on the dremel.

Before I got my grinders I used to occasionally use the granberg "precision" grinder. Until I toasted the belt on the motor sharpening my bandsaw blades.

I found these at the Lawn & Garden show in Louisville. They were introduced to me by an old friend in the business. These cordless rechargeable grinders can be used as a regular dremel type tool with an extra collar that comes with them or with the chainsaw chain adaptor that has a light built in so you can see the chain. I was impressed with the idea of not having to have a cord and you could use out in the field.
Saw%20Mate%20Cordless%20Grinder-2.jpg

Here's a link for more information:http://www.amickssuperstore.com/Saw_Mate_Cordless_Grinder_p/saw%20mate%20cordless%20grinder.htm

MikeInParadise said:
You have to watch the stones as they wear quickly and become too small so I keep these smaller ones for doing the brush cutters. You also have to be sure to move the dremel back and forth the entire length of the stone to keep it wearing evenly.

Good advice. The Dremel and the handheld 12V chain grinders both do this. I found that I was replacing the stones too often. I sharpen a lot of chains, and can do a better job by hand personally.

I have used both a Dremel and the handheld 12V type. But like I said above... I like to hand file.

Gary

i use the cordless dremmel in the field to strighten the edge when hand file w/ guide is not enough. like when rocks turn the edge. i do not use it routeinly.

have tried bout everything. hand file w/ guide is my best job. touch up free hand. use the bench mount wheel to strighten up several chains in one setting.

my cousin who logs daily only hand files w/o guide. he is good. i am not. i need all the help i can get. i file by the numbers. he files by the feel.

to each his own, whatever works!!!!

If you don't like it, remember the dremel has other uses

I use a dremel type tool sharpen my chains and so far I've been very pleased. It can give a clean, even top plate angle. I like the fact that I don't have to put the saw in a vice. With a rotary tool, your not vigorously pushing & pulling. So I just steady the bar with the other hand. It does take practice & patience to get the side cutting angle. I really had to focus on putting some downward pressure or I would roll the side cutting angle back at the top. I would recommend first trying it on the bigger 3/8" chain because it's a larger target.

Latest posts

Back