Using a sled

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,
Yes, I use a sled when the snow is too deep to get the wheelbarrow through. I just bought a nice one from Overtons for $75 !!!! It is good size and is supposed to be a sled for ice fishermen.....one that they can haul their stuff out to their fishing spot !!

Henry and Wanda

All the time. I bought one of those Viking utility sleds. Nice heavy construction. A full load doesn't pull too hard. I have even pulled it behind the X534 a few times. The kids use it for sledding too.

An old car hood from a junk yard makes a great snow sled and you can stack a lot of wood on it. Wax it up and she will slide on anything.

Unfortunately when you have 10 or 12 inches of snow the car hood idea just won't work. I use to have a Jet Sled that worked perfect for this. I think they are still sold at Dicks for ice fishing.they come in different length (34"+) and are at least 20-24" wide. They are thick black Polly and about 10" deep. Check tractor supply I think they carry something comparable.

With those sleds you have to ask yourself one question... Do you feel like a man today?

http://www.shappell.com/sleds.html

Unfortunately when you have 10 or 12 inches of snow the car hood idea just won't work. I use to have a Jet Sled that worked perfect for this. I think they are still sold at Dicks for ice fishing.they come in different length (34"+) and are at least 20-24" wide. They are thick black Polly and about 10" deep. Check tractor supply I think they carry something comparable.

With those sleds you have to ask yourself one question... Do you feel like a man today?

http://www.shappell.com/sleds.html

I just bought a Jet Sled from BigR. $40.00 Looks pretty heavy duty. It is 50" long and 22" wide. I'll try it out tomorrow.

I just bought a Jet Sled from BigR. $40.00 Looks pretty heavy duty. It is 50" long and 22" wide. I'll try it out tomorrow.
They are durable as all hell if your not dragging them across pavement or rough concrete. As long as you place your wood down and don't drop it it should last a long time. Let us know how you like it.

Happy jet sled owner here.

I rarely cut in the woods behind the house, mainly because it is too hilly to get any equipment in. However, when I'm itching to cut I go back there and haul it out by hand with the sled.

A couple trips a day after school, load in some logs and my kid, she's happy and I'm being productive.

Like mentioned, don't be too rough on loading the wood in, and it should hold up fine.

Hello,
It snowed here today....we got about 6" or so and I will be using the sled tomorrow because the wood boxes need filled again. I'll try and get some pictures of the sled in action !!!!!!!

Henry and Wanda

Car hood for skidding big logs. The bonus of the hood being you can "adjust" it nicely with your favorite BFH to make it custom. I use a jet sled to get from the stacks to the house.

I've hauled over 2 cord so far in my sled .
http://www.pelicansport.com/en/products/utility-sleds
I have the 45 but I think I'll get the 75.
The sled works fine on grass , mud and snow .

IMG_20140305_123445.jpg

IMG_20140305_125355.jpg

The max load I could haul of green oak on flat ground but that much dry softwood is not an issue .
A longer sled would spread the load better .

Latest posts

Back