Using A WireCore Personal Lanyard..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yin

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
What do you all do with the slack while using a wire core personal lanyard ? With a rope lanyard they are eayser to manage. My wirecore is really stiff and am having trouble articulating it. I was yelled at by a friend because of the loop I left hanging . He said a lead could get caught in it and take me down.
I started climbing last fall thanks to the information obtained from these forums and I've done several jobs since. I just feel safer using the wirecore as I go higher without having the option to tie off to another tree. I'm sure I'll take some heat from these pics so shoot away.
oldash2.jpg

oldash.jpg

Where is climbing line? Rule #1 !!
Rip cuts and stubs. That's a NO - NO

Get some more training my friend before you get hurt!
Takes a lot more than ability to spike up tree and make cuts to be successful. Be careful!!:eek:

Yea. Ya can't climb/cut on just yur lanyard, even if it's a steel core.

Not being able to stow my lanyard the way I like is the reason I don't use a steel core.

Originally posted by Dadatwins
Rip cuts and stubs. That's a NO - NO
In takedowns it's a who-cares? Aerial lumberjacking doesn't require collar cuts, bo-ring, one more reason to prune instead of remove trees.;)

The top is already out, it's getting whacked.
It looked like a useful tree. wonder why it got cut down?:confused:

I don't like steelcores; Stiffness is a virtue in many tools but not lanyards.:)

It looked like a useful tree. wonder why it got cut down

The ash was hollowed out and the owner was worried about loosing his barn.
The maple was infested with black ants. My wifes cousins. Was quoted well over a thousand for the takedown. I did them the favor:rolleyes: Actuall only the lower cracked lead was infested. There was no convincing them though.
I will try to tie the slack into a knot next time thanks MB.
I've watched several takedowns in my town. When the arborists went up I didnt see any additional lines attached outside of their personal lanyard. Well he had two lanyards he used. One guy didnt even use a lanyard omg. My friend has a picture of that actually. Ill post it twhen I get it . Its on his phone.
So.. Like I said I'm new to climbing and I new I'd get some heat from this post . Where do you tie in a lifeline when there isnt another tree to tie into ?

Originally posted by Yin
Where do you tie in a lifeline when there isnt another tree to tie into ?

If the tree is sound, just do like your 2 lanyard climber did, and use both lanyards.

If the tree isn't sound, you're gonna have to tie into a peripheral structure, like a crane. THATS a whole nother can of worms.

You won't ever get any heat from me, Yin.

Or wuz it Yang...:confused:

:D

Originally posted by Guy Meilleur
In takedowns it's a who-cares? Aerial lumberjacking doesn't require collar cuts
Sorry Guy leaving stubs while doing removals was always big no - no as I was taught unless you needed it to rig off of or tie into later. I like a clean path to ground for both my rope and any debris that is fallin down.

As for Mr. Yin, please go get some books on how to do this work. Tree climbers Companion is good starting point. Available by Sherrills one of the sponsers of this site. I have yet to see anyone on this site with any creditability advocate lanyard climbing only. Also some education about preserving trees would not hurt. Hard to tell from pictures actual conditions of the removed trees but don't fall into trap of doing everything homeowner asks. That will be hack work another no-no.

Maybe I'm wrong but it should be free-tailed....less chance for hooking on to something you'd rather want to drop.

Originally posted by oakwilt
Maybe I'm wrong but it should be free-tailed....less chance for hooking on to something you'd rather want to drop.
In some places stubs can be good for foot-and rope-holds. In other places where brush will tangle yeah skin it.
No absolutes in tree work, right ow? ;) :))

Black ants never killed a tree. Yin you could have done your kin a better favor if you knew how to prune and knew more about trees. Then you could take only the bad parts off and leave them the growing value instead of a rotting stump. :confused:

Insectophobia is one rung higher than arborphobia, but it's still pretty low on the thinking ladder. No offense to your family meant.

Insectophobia is one rung higher than arborphobia, but it's still pretty low on the thinking ladder. No offense to your family meant.
Dude I totally understand. But they were going to pay top dollar to have it removed whitch was'nt cool with the wifey.. So I did it.
I live in EastLongMeadow Massachusetts. I love trees and can't gain enough knowledge about them in my lifetime but am working darn hard to get enough to get by. I want them to live and appreciate the comfort they bring . I'm still green as heck I guess but am trying.

You're not all that far from me.

Drop in sometime, and we can make you less "green" and more GREEN! :D

netree
Thanks I'd like to talk with ya man . Send on over those directions and maybe we can hook up .

Back