Using multi-grade oil in gas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't know better, thus I ran my Sachs-Dolmar 105 on pretty much anything I had at hand, rarely dedicated 2-stroke oil, quite often tractor engine oil SAE 15W40 - mixed at 25:1 or even thicker (I didn't pay much attention to the mix percentage back then).
This saw is now 30 years old, and the failure it is being treated for is not P&C related, it had a clutch failure.

Even though I would not recommend it with nowadays 2-stroke oil availability, it can work, but a high ratio should be used and one will be standing in a huge smoke cloud quite quickly.

FYI, I always thought that the fuel contains sufficient oil if after prolonged running excess oil started dripping out of the muffler. The Sachs-Dolmar 105's muffler is below the cylinder, the cylinder itself is positioned horizontal, thus excess oil can easily be expelled.

Not me. (see sig below)
Using non 2-stroke oil is not necessarily stupidity!

I guess I am not particularly smart, but I tend to learn from my mistakes.
Feeding my saw with engine oil/fuel mix when I was 15-25 yrs. of age might not have been the smartest thing to do, but it apparently wasn't a mistake either.
Just saying.

It is not multi-grade, but it isn't dedicated 2-stroke either:
SAE30 25to1.JPG

One has to wonder how much "marketing" is behind that "high quality 2-stroke oil" curtain...

I didn't get the info stating the OP having a logging background - not from within this thread.

All I said was that engine oil can be used and that there was a time when it was supposed to be used.
I also said that nowadays it shouldn't be used anymore.

I am not trying to start any kind of argument!

I agree that dedicated 2-stroke engine oil should be used for 2-stroke mix - nuf said.

:cheers:

I didn't get the info stating the OP having a logging background - not from within this thread.

All I said was that engine oil can be used and that there was a time when it was supposed to be used.
I also said that nowadays it shouldn't be used anymore.

I am not trying to start any kind of argument!

I agree that dedicated 2-stroke engine oil should be used for 2-stroke mix - nuf said.

:cheers:

I agree. It's not that you couldn't. But with the availability of two stroke oil why would you?

I agree. It's not that you couldn't. But with the availability of two stroke oil why would you?
I don't no more myself.
I always try to have an unopened spare bottle of 2-stroke oil on the shelf - in fact I try to have spares of everything (not only chainsaw related).
That doesn't mean that others do the same.

DSC02319.JPG

My favorite gas can has a mix ratio chart printed on the side. I often joke about going back to SAE-30 when a new oil thread comes up but I'd have to be in a really tough scrape to actually go there.

AR

I have done it before and would do it again if in a pinch and before driving an hour to get new 2 stroke oil or waiting for monday and loosing 1&1/2 days firewood time. At home I have on average 1 gallon of 2 stroke oil. Although I must add that in my firewood kit that I usually have with me I have one of those small 100ml oil bottles. Enough for about a gallon of gas. 7

My grandfather ran for years two Echo's and an Oleomac on premix made with diesel engine oil. I think he used 4% premix or an even higher rate.
No ill effects apart from the huge could of smoke accompanying every cutting operation and lots of seriously soiled spark plugs and mufflers. :D

My grandfather ran for years two Echo's and an Oleomac on premix made with diesel engine oil. I think he used 4% premix or an even higher rate.
No ill effects apart from the huge could of smoke accompanying every cutting operation and lots of seriously soiled spark plugs and mufflers. :D
Some old 2-stroker state 16:1 to be used - good against bugs in the summer. :p

Do I? no. Would I? If the situation warranted it. I'm happy with my 15 brand blended 2 stroke oil and have had good success with it.

True. Lots of times we've made decisions where we didn't have all the information. In this case we do. Seeing that the OP states he has a logging background, I'm sure he knows better, and what does that say about this thread???
I've been out of the industry for a long time. Btw, ad hominem attacks are unprofessional.

I did some research on this and I came across a thread that quoted a 1996 Husqvarna manual that recommends SAE 30 (25:1) when 2 stroke oil is not available.

Latest posts

Back