Utv

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockarosa

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Wondered if anyone on here hauls wood with their UTV and what model they have. Been thinking about buying a UTV and trying to decide what model. Kubota's look good but pricey.

I use a cub cadet Volunteer. Works pretty good. Be sure to get a rack on the front.

I have a Kawasaki Teryx, I beat the hell outta that machine and it just keeps on going. I pull a lot of logs out of the woods with it too. I had lot of pictures on AS of it in action, unfortunately like many other pictures on AS, they are long gone....:mad:

021.jpg

Does the Big Red have independent suspension?

Yes. I also have a Big Red. Very pleased with it. By the way the Big Red and the Kubota RTV are the only UTV's that do NOT use a belt. The Honda uses a 3 speed tranny like a car, driveshaft - no belt. Kubota is a hydrostat drive and essentially a small tractor driveline with a UTV body and frame.

Early Kubota utvs had some trans problems and u joints/axles are expensive. 2 of My neighbors have them and other than the transmission issues and expensive axles they love them. The one neighbor works his to death and it just keeps going.

Gator 825I uses a Chinese Chery engine that based on the one I have in my garage is a POS. would be fine if used with common sense and not run hard. It uses a standard automotive style oil pan and pick up so steep hills it will lose oil pressure and wipe the bottom end. It's also a standard car engine so sustained high rpms are hard on them. Another biggie is lack of oversize piston or rod/main bearings. Needs bored you get to sleeve it or buy a block. Crank needs turned....you buy a new crank. 400 miles on the one we have at the shop and we had to buy a new crank.

700/800 ranger xp seem to hold up decent but are a real pain to work on. I pulled logs (some were 15-20' long and 16" at the butt)with a 700 and it will surprise you what they are capable of but the belts chew up pretty fast if you really work em.

Club car xr1200/ new Holland rustler have weak rear axles, front diff mounting plate, very little suspension and the front suspension in general needs bushings and ball joints replaced often. All aluminum box frame is nice though. really really hard steering also since they are always in 4wd.

I used a Cub Cadet big country (honda powered) SBS for several years.it had a steel bed and would handle all the rounds or split wood you could pile on it.the biggest downfall was it was a 2 wheel drive .other than that I had no complaints about the machine.

I sold it in 2011 and purchased a polaris ranger 500 efi.The polaris worked great for wood gathering and hauling.It wouldnt carry the weight that the cub could but it handle loads well enough.If my primary use was for fire wooding and use as a farm vehicle I would buy another cub tomorrow.
I changed to the polaris because it is well suited for trail riding and can also be used for other purposes are the house

I used a Cub Cadet big country (honda powered) SBS for several years.it had a steel bed and would handle all the rounds or split wood you could pile on it.the biggest downfall was it was a 2 wheel drive .other than that I had no complaints about the machine.

I sold it in 2011 and purchased a polaris ranger 500 efi.The polaris worked great for wood gathering and hauling.It wouldnt carry the weight that the cub could but it handle loads well enough.If my primary use was for fire wooding and use as a farm vehicle I would buy another cub tomorrow.
I changed to the polaris because it is well suited for trail riding and can also be used for other purposes are the house
Post some pics of that 500 in action. We are looking for something to use around the farm. 4wd is a must along with a useable bed. The big red/mule/old style gators I ruled out because of the limited travel speed and suspension. Would love to have a 800/900 ranger but can't get past the price tag. Even used they are more than double what I paid for my semi nice 4wd diesel pickup

Kubotas also don't go very fast - if there's a chance you'd want to. Not the best for trail riding, for instance.

I've had one in the back of my mind for a while, and think I'd look to a Ranger or a Prowler HDX for my mixed needs (would be a dose of trail riding) - simply because of the bench seat & ability to go with 2 adults & kid if you wanted to.

Wondered if anyone on here hauls wood with their UTV and what model they have. Been thinking about buying a UTV and trying to decide what model. Kubota's look good but pricey.

All I can say is, you must not need much firewood, because you just can't haul much firewood on a UTV, without making MANY trips. That is the reason my UTV isn't my firewood hauler!

A tractor and wagon is the way to go, and you don't have to spend anywhere the cost of an UTV to get a good "wood hauling" tractor!

SR

Back