Vac Test on 288?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnmc98

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Have a husky 288xp that was supposedly just rebuilt with 4 tanks on it. It has now developed a problem of dying when I lay it sprocket/clutch cover up. I can give it throttle and it will continue to run in that position but will die when at idle. all other positions are fine. It sounds like I might need to do a vacuum test to check the seals.

How do I do that? - I tried to search but cant find anything and I have no time.:(
is there a poor mans way to do it like spraying a shot of something at the seal area to diagnose it as well?

other advice is welcome as well.

Chainsaw Stickies - Chainsaw FAQ has some good links to useful stuff including leak tests and carb building .
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/chainsaw-faq.148248/

doesn't sound like seal from your post, but could be wrong. 4 tanks on a rebuild is hardly start to break in.
why not haul it back to the builder and let them have a look see, if you don't have time ?
probly carb adj, maybe not.
testing is cheaper than r&r.

doesn't sound like seal from your post, but could be wrong. 4 tanks on a rebuild is hardly start to break in.
why not haul it back to the builder and let them have a look see, if you don't have time ?
probly carb adj, maybe not.
testing is cheaper than r&r.

Thanks for the link. Saw has way more than 4 tanks now, I use it for work, but not that many that it should be doing this. cant bring it back to builder, was done a while ago by another guy that I bought it from, he had it done by a husky tech so he said.

Back