Value of used MS661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel W

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Would appreciate input on value of a used 661. Half wrap, no bar or chain. Assuming piston and cylinder are in good shape. Plastics in fairly good shape as well

Thanks!

Just sold a used 661 with about 2 years of heavy west coast falling on it for $600 Canadian, mind you it had full wrap, west coast dogs and PHO. not sure if this helps...

A logger called me last week and said he had a couple of them. He wanted $600 apiece for them and said, "They are both in good shape, but I'm looking at a pair of Stihl 500i to replace them and need some bread."

Occasionally I get a call from a tree service company looking for good big saws. They would never cram the hours on them that this logger did. Most of his business is big cottonwood trees. Regardless, I doubt a tree service company would go much higher than $600, even if I rebuilt the top end. Reselling big saws is a nice hobby and not big business. That's MHO.

Thanks. I am looking to purchase. I may keep it and play with it. I have a 461 already. Ask is $650.
I think that's a reasonable price, especially if it still has good compression and is an M-tronic. I rebuilt two of these saws from loggers. One was run over by a skid loader. The other was crushed by a rolling tree log that probably weighed 3000 lb. The case, bearings, flywheel, and top ends were still intact. The rest was history. Over $500 in parts were required. They run today. Here's one of them (repaired):
Stihl MS 661 C Repaired.jpg

You set a nice table.
Kash
I probably should not have covered that table. I made it 20 years ago using quartersawn oak. The top is laminated butcher block. Next time I post a saw on it I'll remove the crimson cloth and show the legs as well. It was quite a project and took me several months to complete.

Latest posts

Back