vapor lock???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

germy01

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I hope someone can help me diagnose what happened to my saw today. I run a husky 353 and have had it for about a year and a half with no problems. I run 93 octane about 45:1. I don't usually cut in warm weather but had to today mid 80's. It cold started normal limbed and bucked a 20" diameter tree fine. Hot started fine within about 5 mins of shut down but after a water break and about 10-15 minutes it would not start with just the switch on. I pulled the choke for fast idle pushed it in and saw started fine and ran at fast idle. I tried to start cutting saw would die. Started back up fine and idled but would not advance to full throttle and died. Repeated several times feathering the throttle finally after about 5-10 tries it would accelerate and run fine. If I started the saw within about 5 mins of shut down no problems any longer breaks it would not come up to speed without several attempts. Any ideas??

germy01 said:
I hope someone can help me diagnose what happened to my saw today. I run a husky 353 and have had it for about a year and a half with no problems. I run 93 octane about 45:1. I don't usually cut in warm weather but had to today mid 80's. It cold started normal limbed and bucked a 20" diameter tree fine. Hot started fine within about 5 mins of shut down but after a water break and about 10-15 minutes it would not start with just the switch on. I pulled the choke for fast idle pushed it in and saw started fine and ran at fast idle. I tried to start cutting saw would die. Started back up fine and idled but would not advance to full throttle and died. Repeated several times feathering the throttle finally after about 5-10 tries it would accelerate and run fine. If I started the saw within about 5 mins of shut down no problems any longer breaks it would not come up to speed without several attempts. Any ideas??

Had a run of the same thing today, it sure could be a vaper bubble in the line next too the carb,,,, Choke it if you have to to pull more gas to the carb, the bubble has to cool or get sucked thru,,,,,,

As summer gets here, a lot of gas will have a higher PVP and lest likely to boil.

Classic vapor lock problem.Be sure the "white door" in your top cover is closed.You could run your saw a bit richer on the Hi speed needle,bring it to the point of four stroking .Will make the saw run a bit colder and easier to start..

HiOctane said:
Classic vapor lock problem.Be sure the "white door" in your top cover is closed.You could run your saw a bit richer on the Hi speed needle,bring it to the point of four stroking .Will make the saw run a bit colder and easier to start..
Thanks Hioctane, my Husky 365 had the exact same symptoms few weeks ago, exact. Thought I maybe had a dirty fuel filter, but it looked OK. It cleared itself up by next time I ran it, but wondered what the trouble was.

thanks for confirming what I thought. Does the mix ratio have anything to do with it or just richen up the high speed? Thanks again a wealth of knowledge on here.

Back