Variety of Walnut?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikewhite85

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I don't know the question to your answers nor am I familar with the tree in your picture, but I've noticed that on Black Walnut trees in Missouri.....just not to the that extent. Normaly it's only very young trees or new shoots that get a few reddish green ones on them.

I know Walnuts have toxins in them, so I googled Walnut Toxins. Your picture looks like the picture in the article of a Butternut tree. They have the same toxin, Juglone, in them. Hang on a bit and folks that know your west coast trees will respond soon. In the mean time goolge Walnut Toxins and see what you can find, Joe.

I don't know the question to your answers nor am I familar with the tree in your picture, but I've noticed that on Black Walnut trees in Missouri.....just not to the that extent. Normaly it's only very young trees or new shoots that get a few reddish green ones on them.

I must of been drinking that night :beer:

juglans california is a deciduous tree or a aboreal shrub.The bark looks about right,and the red could be new growth.They have a tendency to have a rangey growth pattern.Is the tree filled out?HO might be allergic to the pollen.Jugans calif.is considerd a ''severe allergen.''The gas produced(juglone)Is sub surface and generally only affects plants growing in and around the tree.If it's a health issue there shouldn't be a problem to remove it.Be interested in knowing how the issue is resolved.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back