Veneer Grade Log Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YUKON 659

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just wondering what determines if a log is veneer grade? Can it be determined before the tree is cut? The trees in question are sugar maples, I haven't seen them but the land owner told me they are about 24" DBH and roughly 25' to the first branch...nice and straight.

Thanks, Jeff

Hello,
You need to start making some calls around to the local log yards. Timber markets vary, some buyers are able to pay more than others they all seem to have a couple different routes to go with their logs. I would say you will have a hard time finding a veneer market for sugar maple but check around a little. However, dont work your logs up into lenghts until you know where your going with them and what the buyer wants. Most veneer lenghts will be in multiples of 4 such as 8' 12' 16' and so on anyway good luck in your search. Take care, Wade Huggins

I've seen some sales where stumpage sold directly as veneer but it is uncommon. If memory serves (i'm not a veneer buyer by any stretch) veneer sugar maple logs need a high percentage of sapwood. Obviously it would be difficult to tell when it's standing. Of course the usual stuff matters too, little crook or sweep, few knots, and all that.

Look at the trees...

Hey Jeff,

If these are trees you are going to cut and sell the logs I would first cruise the property first and see them for yourself. It's amazing how people not used to estimating sizes and measurements will be overwhelmed by the size of what might actually be much smaller trees. If they are the real deal I would definitlely start calling around to log buyers to get some guidance on specs to help with your bucking decisions. If there is a large enough volume and quality the mill MIGHT(no guarantees) even send the buyer to help you with those decisions to maximize yield.

I bet Gypo could enlighten us all even more on the subject.

Talk with your log broker first. the real nice ones will likely go to a roller type mill while the other will be ran through a slicer. Are these silver maple we are talking about? If so the only thing they are good for is firewood and a poor quality firewood at that. The maple in demand is hard maple(sometimes called sugur). The orientals cant get enough of the stuff. Much of it from my area gets sent to the west cost to be loaded on ships headed fro Taiwan and Japan.

bwalker, maybe a dumb question but what are the orientals using it for???? furniture, crafts, ect....?????

They are into real wood everything, not long ago our mill had a big contract selling tongue and groove lumber to them, millions of board feet.

cool, i know that all the timber in the phillipians goes to japan. the phillipinos can't even afford to build their homes out of wood because of the export value:( they build out of cement. i have a couple of philipino friends that told me this. thought it was interesting :angel:

Thanks for the info. The reason I was wondering is a co-worker was telling me a he had a buyer that seemed interested in a few trees on his property. I just wanted to see if I could help in making sure he was getting fair market vaue. The buyer told him if he could take the trees down (or get them taken down) and buck them up to preferably 12' 6'',(also 8'6') he would come and get them. Seemed like a lot of work and time for the buyer to come get a few logs.....thats why I was wondering if he may have seen something in the trees he "liked". What do you think?

Jeff

BTW I'm not a logger by an means....just a "wannabe". I do cut a few trees as a side job and a lot of trees for firewood. Can't seem to get enough of it:)

Latest posts

Back