Venting hydraulic tank

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liberty

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a Swisher log splitter that has a plastic vented fill cap on the hydraulic tank. Since it is plastic it broke when a log hit it. Does it need to be vented or can i just put a solid fill plug in there? I looked at other splitters and never noticed a vent. Thanks

I don't have a vent on mine, it's a home made one, I have 12 gal. tank and about 8 gallons in it. So I have some room for expansion, I don't know if it makes a difference. I wouldn't worry about it.

Vent it!

The fluid level changes in the tank as the cylinder cycles back and forth. The vent will prevent creating a vacuum or over-pressure situation. The vent also provides the same protection from environmental changes (temp. and atmos. press.).

My concern is that maybe its design allows moisture to escape when the unit heats up. If I plug it then it could build up.

I would put some kind of a vent on it. As others said with the cycling of the cylinder and as the fluid heats up it will expand and will build pressure if not vented.

My splitter had plastic fittings. After a plastic elbow broke from a log I replaced everything with brass fittings from fittings specialty house. Don't recall whether the cap was vented or not but the cap became metal also-no further issues.

If the threads are pipe thread buy a steel pipe plug and drill a tiny hole in it ,If you get one with the square head you should be able to drill through the side of one of the flats.:)

Latest posts

Back