Vermeer BC 600XL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treevet

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Was considering adding a small chipper to my stuff. The BC 600 xl with auto feed seems like a good choice. I have never used one but I know they stand up to rentals and I have seen one used on a rental and was quite impressed what it could do for being so small. I think I could pull it around with my Toyota, chip into my dump insert (they make an aluminum chip box to go with the Truckcraft) and I could boom it onto trucks, over fences, etc with my truck crane. It probably could even easily be moved around by hand and the miniskid. Good for pruning and small removals?

Wonder if you could convert it to diesel?

Is there a better company choice (than Vermeer) at this tiny size with auto feed?

Saw one on craigslist for 3600 bid

You're really looking to amass the most equipment per man on the job ever, huh? I know you run an 1800, but what's your midsize chipper? Will you be keeping that or opting for one big, one small set up?

Was considering adding a small chipper to my stuff. The BC 600 xl with auto feed seems like a good choice. I have never used one but I know they stand up to rentals and I have seen one used on a rental and was quite impressed what it could do for being so small. I think I could pull it around with my Toyota, chip into my dump insert (they make an aluminum chip box to go with the Truckcraft) and I could boom it onto trucks, over fences, etc with my truck crane. It probably could even easily be moved around by hand and the miniskid. Good for pruning and small removals?

Wonder if you could convert it to diesel?

Is there a better company choice (than Vermeer) at this tiny size with auto feed?

Saw one on craigslist for 3600 bid

I rented the 600xl this past summer for every job I did and was very impressed with it.Everything over 6" I (or the homeowner) would keep for firewood so it's a perfect size for me.And yes it can be moved around by hand,not too easy but with 2 guys it's manageable.I would definitely recommend it.

You're really looking to amass the most equipment per man on the job ever, huh? I know you run an 1800, but what's your midsize chipper? Will you be keeping that or opting for one big, one small set up?

I have a bc 2000 and a bc 1250 a with 115 turbo diesel. I may sell the latter and get the tiny one. I thought I was gonna get another crew going this year but the economy says no. I like to bid in the upper ranges of bids. This might be a good set up for me right now. With 2 big chippers one always sits at the lot and with the tiny one hedges and pruning might be the goal and with all removals with the bc 2000.

I have a bc 2000 and a bc 1250 a with 115 turbo diesel. I may sell the latter and get the tiny one. I thought I was gonna get another crew going this year but the economy says no. I like to bid in the upper ranges of bids. This might be a good set up for me right now. With 2 big chippers one always sits at the lot and with the tiny one hedges and pruning might be the goal and with all removals with the bc 2000.

My bad. For some reason I remembered your big chipper wrong. I don't know much about the 600's but I think in your situation one big, one small is just about ideal.

I should've never got rid of my 200+ with the winch and fat tires. That thing was sweet on lawns and still had 12" chipping capacity... it was just too old, so I jumped on the opportunity to offload it. I regret that one big time though.

Man....I just hate when I sell something and then regret it. I am still kicking myself for selling this...

attachment.php

I rented the 600xl this past summer for every job I did and was very impressed with it.Everything over 6" I (or the homeowner) would keep for firewood so it's a perfect size for me.And yes it can be moved around by hand,not too easy but with 2 guys it's manageable.I would definitely recommend it.

Thanks for reply. I almost this little dinky chipper may be a better than a big chuck and duck like my old 16" Mitts and Merrill 8cyl. It is at least better than a smaller chuck and duck.

Seems like the little tires would not be hi way worthy?

TV, the tires are plenty highway worthy as far as speed and stability but they don't wear well if you are putting a lot of miles on. Not too expensive to replace.

This is a great pickup truck chipper. You will need to take into consideration its narrow wheel base and the fact that it is really, really short. If you have a large dump box on the back of your pickup, you won't be able to see it; making backing up virtually impossible. It does have pockets for flags, so that even with a large box, theoretically this would allow you back-ability.

I altered the box on my pickup to where it allowed me visibility of the chipper.

These little guys produce high quality chips at a decent rate for low initial cost. They seem to be the number one choice for rental yards, so are readily available used. I would be curious to see how you get along with the auto-feed. Couldn't stand it and had it disconnected. The hydraulic feed rate control lever allows all the regulation I need.

Dave

attachment.php

Man....I just hate when I sell something and then regret it. I am still kicking myself for selling this...

attachment.php

That thing is bad ass, TV. In the picture it looks like a little punch to the gas would put that front end up. Tell me you've done that at least a few times.

Thanks for reply. I almost this little dinky chipper may be a better than a big chuck and duck like my old 16" Mitts and Merrill 8cyl. It is at least better than a smaller chuck and duck.

I was on the highway every time I used it.

TV, the tires are plenty highway worthy as far as speed and stability but they don't wear well if you are putting a lot of miles on. Not too expensive to replace.

This is a great pickup truck chipper. You will need to take into consideration its narrow wheel base and the fact that it is really, really short. If you have a large dump box on the back of your pickup, you won't be able to see it; making backing up virtually impossible. It does have pockets for flags, so that even with a large box, theoretically this would allow you back-ability.

I altered the box on my pickup to where it allowed me visibility of the chipper.

These little guys produce high quality chips at a decent rate for low initial cost. They seem to be the number one choice for rental yards, so are readily available used. I would be curious to see how you get along with the auto-feed. Couldn't stand it and had it disconnected. The hydraulic feed rate control lever allows all the regulation I need.

Dave

attachment.php

I also noticed how big of a pain in the arse it was to back up behind my 74 chevy dump.If I were to ever own one of these specific models I would extend the main square tubing connecting the machine to the hitch.Basically cut the tubing in half and weld on maybe a 2'-3' section to make backing up easier.It wouldnt help much for the sight but having a longer wheelbase is always more beneficial.It would at least give you more time to correct it if it starts going the wrong way.

That thing is sweet! I always meant to ask you about that truck... what year and make was that anyway?

51 Ford F4 wrecker I had for 25 years. That piece weighed in at 2k but yeah the winch was so strong that I had that thing standing way up in the front air sometimes so you couldn't steer it with bigger pieces.

I knew you had one but couldn't find it on TB on a thread I saw. Interesting info on visibility, tires and the auto feed which I thought would be a good thing.

Does it have 2 feed rollers or one? How do you like the Kohler engine?

I think I am going to buy the dump insert chip box from Truckcraft if I buy one of these chippers.

Sprung, you wouldn't need to do any welding. The hitch is already on a slide tube. You could just get a longer one. But you would have to slide it in closer to the truck each time you chipped or extend the chute.

TV, it only has one feed roller and the Kohler engine is fine. This is a small machine...it can only do so much. What I like about it is the feed wheel is set at 90 degrees from the roller, which makes for less branch wrap and a real high quality chip.

The autofeed is suppose to reduce the load on the engine to increase engine life. I am sure it does this but it will easily quadruple your chipping time. If we had had to have it on ours, I would not have bought it...it was that bad. They might have improved the autofeed now, but I just don't see the point. We have been running this machine for going on 10 years and the engine still pulls strong.

Consistently operates at under 1 gallon an hour and easily fits into small backyards and tight spaces.

Dave

Don,t know. The hobbs meter stopped at 992 but I have no idea when cause I never remember to look at it. I change the oil once a year whether it needs it or not.:dizzy:

Dave

Alot of smaller chippers are to narrow to see while backing. If you get REALLY BIG zip ties, drill some holes in the guards OR attached the zip ties to both sides of the feed control arm, the tails of the zip ties should stick out an extra foot on both sides and you can see them when your backing and they wont break or damage anything.

Made life ALOT easier backing our machines.

Latest posts

Back