Vermeer BC 600XL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You sold that chipper???????????

I should've never got rid of my 200+ with the winch and fat tires. That thing was sweet on lawns and still had 12" chipping capacity... it was just too old, so I jumped on the opportunity to offload it. I regret that one big time though.

You ARE losing it.

I boughtminein Syracuse NY.

Thanks for reply. I almost this little dinky chipper may be a better than a big chuck and duck like my old 16" Mitts and Merrill 8cyl. It is at least better than a smaller chuck and duck.

Seems like the little tires would not be hi way worthy?

towed it back to Hartford,CT just fine.

I'll tell you what i can.

Tell me a little about yours....hours, engine, chip box, how long you had it, did you buy it new, etc. You got any picts? Thanks. Did you unhook the autofeed like DMc?

It's actually a 625. I bought it used.It was a rental unit.I have no Idea on the hours.We have used the crap out of it.The fuel tank is metal and the cap let water in.Water in the fuel caused damage to the valves.I had to get it going quick so I replaced the 25hp Kohler with a 27hp Kohler.I have replaced the main bearings on the disk.They were cheap through a bearing warehouse.$100 each.Easy to replace.Belt needs to be adjusted properly to run efficiently.If it's slipping,the engine cannot recover the RPMs well with out the rotating mass of the disk.You know when the knives are dull.I had the feed wheel motor rebuilt last year for $150.The Vermeer auto feed controler is junk.Vermeer knows it but will still sell you one for $400+ with a smile on their face.I bought an awesome after market one for $250.

When our big chippers went down on a job,this machine always got the job done without a hiccup. This has happened a lot when we used a Vermeer 1230

It's a pretty good machine.When running and with everything adjusted right,you'll love it.Mine runs and chips better than any rental unit I have ever used.

The great things about it is I can tow it with my 85 Toyota.I actually towed it home from Syracuse with that truck. Two guys who don't drink skim milk or eat Tofu can move it around by hand pretty easily. Also,when the knives and bed knife are adjusted correctly,it's chips very small chips.Everybody wants our chips! You can get a lot more brush chipped into the truck.Then again,you can chip brush a lot faster with a Bandit 200 or 250.

I would buy one again.This is the only Vermeer product I would probably buy.The feed wheel design on their bigger chippers sucks.

DO NOT BUY PARTS FROM VERMEER IF YOU CAN HELP IT! Vermeer should be wearing the mask,not the Bandit Raccoon!

I do not have pics but It looks the same as the one in the previous post.

Last edited:
I forgot..............

I did lengthen the tongue,It's easy to find square tube to fit inside the original.

Thanks for info Fishercat. I love huge stuff but also love small precision stuff. I thought I could hook up to my 87 yota and now know I can. Maybe even maneuver it around with the mini skid but will ultimately chip into my dump insert with a removable chip box. Just like you I am looking for a dependable back up while the big boy is getting maint. or repair. Also something I can lawn ride or stick in a tight spot easily.

I have seen rentals chip a yard full of pretty good size limbs. Be a neat looking rig with a Toyota dump and one of these mini chippers.

sounds good.

Thanks for info Fishercat. I love huge stuff but also love small precision stuff. I thought I could hook up to my 87 yota and now know I can. Maybe even maneuver it around with the mini skid but will ultimately chip into my dump insert with a removable chip box. Just like you I am looking for a dependable back up while the big boy is getting maint. or repair. Also something I can lawn ride or stick in a tight spot easily.

I have seen rentals chip a yard full of pretty good size limbs. Be a neat looking rig with a Toyota dump and one of these mini chippers.

I always wanted to get one of those Toyotas from Uhaul and put a dump box on it. That would be a slick set up on small removals and trimming jobs.Not that I ever do those.

Two of the guys I work with have one. It isn't huge but gets the job done. I can move it around easily with my ASV RC30 skid steer.

Here's a job we did where the customer wanted the chips left and the firewood left. It was a large trim job of about 8 oaks.

2009-09-03069.jpg

You know I love my 090, 880, 660 but I also love the 200. To me it is like a Rolex watch.

You give one guy the ms200, he throws it in the back of the pickup to rattle around with no bar cover on, never cleans out the air filter, uses it all the way thru a big take down, never sharpens the chain right, fouls up the gas.

You give another guy one and he mainly uses it up the tree, chain always razor sharp, filter always clean, gas pristine, it gets set in the bed so it doesn't even get scratched up.

A little chipper like this if sharp, engine tuned, not overworked and treated with the respect it deserves has a place in this biz IMO. I think they are cool.

You know I love my 090, 880, 660 but I also love the 200. To me it is like a Rolex watch.

You give one guy the ms200, he throws it in the back of the pickup to rattle around with no bar cover on, never cleans out the air filter, uses it all the way thru a big take down, never sharpens the chain right, fouls up the gas.

You give another guy one and he mainly uses it up the tree, chain always razor sharp, filter always clean, gas pristine, it gets set in the bed so it doesn't even get scratched up.

A little chipper like this if sharp, engine tuned, not overworked and treated with the respect it deserves has a place in this biz IMO. I think they are cool.

I'm actually about to buy one myself just for that reason. It's a smaller unit and I plan on towing it behind my dump trailer double trailer style. It's the only chipper that is light enough that I can do that and I can't afford a chipper AND a chip truck right now.

I'm also looking at the Bandit 60 and 65. There are a few of them for sale and they are even cheaper than some of the Vermeers.

Was considering adding a small chipper to my stuff. The BC 600 xl with auto feed seems like a good choice. I have never used one but I know they stand up to rentals and I have seen one used on a rental and was quite impressed what it could do for being so small. I think I could pull it around with my Toyota, chip into my dump insert (they make an aluminum chip box to go with the Truckcraft) and I could boom it onto trucks, over fences, etc with my truck crane. It probably could even easily be moved around by hand and the miniskid. Good for pruning and small removals?

Wonder if you could convert it to diesel?

Is there a better company choice (than Vermeer) at this tiny size with auto feed?

Saw one on craigslist for 3600 bid

I've rented the 6" bandit before and it's pretty badass. It comes in a diesel as well and I like the bigger feed opening.

http://www.banditchippers.com/index.php?option=com_models&task=view&itemId=15&lineId=2&modelId=11

:cheers:

Looks like a little bigger, heavier, higher powered, more expensive unit though.

yes, and hard to find a good used one. Nothing wrong with the vermeer, I think they may come in a deisel now too but not positive. Anyone know for sure?

Looks like a little bigger, heavier, higher powered, more expensive unit though.

All true. You need to determine which aspect you most desire. There are lots of affordable mid-size chippers if chipping capacity is your primary goal. None that are as tiny as the Vermeer 6" that can still handle commercial duty.

Dave

From what I've seen they are about 1800 lbs instead of ~1200 lbs for the Vermeer. Most of the ones I've seen for sale are actually a little less on the horsepower than most of the Vermeers. I saw one with a 20 horse Honda and one with a 23 horse Kohler. These were the older Bandit 60.

too be honest,as much as ilike my little Vermeer.............

for the money I'd buy a used Chuck-n Duck if i had to do it all over again.

If you can't use a chuck and duck safely,you shouldn't be in this business any way.

for the money I'd buy a used Chuck-n Duck if i had to do it all over again.

If you can't use a chuck and duck safely,you shouldn't be in this business any way.

anyone hear about them being "outlawed?" I've been hearing this talk for years but still see them everywhere.

That's all I used for the first 3 years, from '93-'96 but haven't used one since. The main thing I remember is that they don't like deadwood, and saw one spit a softball sized piece back at Old Duda's (my first foreman) face and knock out a couple teeth!! We laughed and laughed!!!! (he was a grumpy old prick!):hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back