Very rusted chains.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only problem is that diesel smells really bad......

I'd start with WD40, and go from there - BAN DIESEL!

Right on there Niko.
Hard to get the smell out of clothing.
You should hear the missus when I come home reeking of diesel lol.

[LAUGHING MY ASS OFF]

Diesel smells bad? What kind of candy ass wussified argument is that? Who let in the girly men??? :buttkick:

Just like manure, diesel fuel works pretty good for some things... and just like manure... do your best not to get it on your clothes.

That's the best advice I can give to you softies with the sensitive schnozzes :greenchainsaw: Maybe lavender oil might work too...
:givebeer:
:):):)
:popcorn:

[/LAUGHING MY ASS OFF] :hmm3grin2orange:

And, just in case someone doesn't notice... this post is submitted in good humor...

Last edited:
Insert your forearm into an active electrolysis tank in between the anode & the cathode. You can also simuoltaniously lick both terminals of a 9 volt transistor radio battery

And under the right conditions DC will give you a shock no matter what others may think. Electricity is quite simple it comes down to Amps, Volts, and Ohms. It is simple math.

Now on subject I have many rusty chains so I am open to all experiences

Bill

Last edited:
[LAUGHING MY ASS OFF]

Diesel smells bad? What kind of candy ass wussified argument is that? Who let in the girly men??? :buttkick:

Just like manure, diesel fuel works pretty good for some things... and just like manure... do your best not to get it on your clothes.

That's the best advice I can give to you softies with the sensitive schnozzes :greenchainsaw: Maybe lavender oil might work too...

And, just in case someone doesn't notice... this post is submitted in good humor...

Heh, heh, hey briggs, feel better.

You'll get a pat tonight......you big man you, lol.

[LAUGHING MY ASS OFF]

i love the smell of some off road diesel

Personally, if those chains have been outside for 2 years and rusted solid, I don't think it's worth the risk to life and limb to save a few dollars. You will never be able to tell what condition the pins are in and if it flies apart at the worst time it has the capability to cost a bunch more dollars than you save.

New chain is relatively cheap...

Both true.

Depends how far gone the chains are, and how rare. Some of the suggestions posted might be of value for a historical chain used for display, or for any of the other things rust attacks.

It's an interesting perspective how in today's throw-away society, and with newer materials, rust is less of a problem for most of us, then when 'durable' goods were passed down through generations.

However, I still have a strong compulsion to hunt through garage sale finds and to battle the forces of entropy. Like rust.

Philbert

Personally, if those chains have been outside for 2 years and rusted solid, I don't think it's worth the risk to life and limb to save a few dollars. You will never be able to tell what condition the pins are in and if it flies apart at the worst time it has the capability to cost a bunch more dollars than you save. Even a broke clutch cover is way more money than a chain not to mention a trip to the ER. Just my $.02

I had read thru till I see what you posted..as I was going to post the same thing......he has zero idea,,what the pins and drivers look like..and if they sat in the rain that long...there CANT be any oil left inside on the pins........

What I am saying is DC current is less dangerous than AC current. The current at the anode and cathode is DC. You can touch the clamped part you are trying to clean and not get electrocuted.

Also in any case battery chargers are not intended to supply low-voltage power for applications other than battery charging but I guess you knew that too.

14 volts is not likely to be able to cross whole, unbroken skin. But when do you have whole skin? If you pulled out a hangnail that is all the opening the electricity needs, a small break and you are done.

Latest posts

Back