Video of The dullest chainsaw you ever seen . Utterly amazing video.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetgumsux

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hard to believe that there are grown adults who operate chainsaws and do not understand the very basic fundamentals of how they work/cut.

I've seen worse. I sharpen for a lot of folks around here, and eventually they figure it out and can get a decent sharpening on their own. Till then it is all dust.

Of course there is the one or two that mount their chains backwards.

I am no pro...just a guy with treed property and a couple saws, but I think I've seen duller. Watched a neighbor burn through a red oak log with what I honestly thought was a chain that was on backwards. It wasnt. Bar was blue from heat along bottom edge when he was done and the end of the log was literally charred and smoking from the friction/heat. The only thing that would have made it more 'special' would have been if it seized from straight gas. I gave him an old bar and a chain that I touched up quickly with a file (while he watched so he could learn) and I think he thought it was some sort of miracle in terms of how it cut...and it was FAR from sharp. I told him the bar I gave him was pretty well shot. A month later he had bought a new bar and chain and was looking for things to cut!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have seen way duller. Not really dull till the wood is left chared and smoking

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Worst I've ever seen was my father in laws 365. His chain was so dull the teeth had curled over like an Eagles beak and he was see-sawing it through the wood. He was mostly cutting branches with it and he would "chop" the branch or smash it with the bar as if he was using a machete. I sharpened it for him one day and I had to take off half the tooth to get back to a nice edge!! I think what saved his bar was the fact that he was cutting branches mostly.

Up here, and probably everywhere, there are tons of people who would rather pay $35 for a new chain every time their saw goes dull. So I make a little bit of cash sharpening for these folks. I guess some people are SO lazy they don't want to take the time to sharpen their own chains. I charge $20 every time I sharpen a chain, and they think it's a good deal. It's amazing what you can sell people in the name of convenience, like that pre-mix fuel at $10/Liter...

Plenty of people buy a chainsaw for a task, and then don't use it again for years. It took me about 8 cords over a years time to learn some of the dos and donts with chainsaws. So it is not surprising to me that there are lots of people running dull chains. For them, if it cuts at all, It's a Win.

A new neighbor was cutting back a few pines the other day. I thought he just bought the Husky 450, and told him he could have borrowed mine. Nope he said he has had the saw for 3 years. Looked brand new to me.

Worst I've ever seen was my father in laws 365. His chain was so dull the teeth had curled over like an Eagles beak and he was see-sawing it through the wood. He was mostly cutting branches with it and he would "chop" the branch or smash it with the bar as if he was using a machete. I sharpened it for him one day and I had to take off half the tooth to get back to a nice edge!! I think what saved his bar was the fact that he was cutting branches mostly.

Up here, and probably everywhere, there are tons of people who would rather pay $35 for a new chain every time their saw goes dull. So I make a little bit of cash sharpening for these folks. I guess some people are SO lazy they don't want to take the time to sharpen their own chains. I charge $20 every time I sharpen a chain, and they think it's a good deal. It's amazing what you can sell people in the name of convenience, like that pre-mix fuel at $10/Liter...
I give the devil his dues.. Pre-mix is fine for a little camping trip, weekend outing if you will. Mighty handy and convenient so fulfills a niche. And I also believe that every saw sold to first timers should come with the dullest chain a person could dig outta the trashcan. Will teach em humility and that everything they do with the saw from then on will be a step in the right direction

I saw a couple chips flying. I like the rocking back and forth technique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I give the devil his dues.. Pre-mix is fine for a little camping trip, weekend outing if you will. Mighty handy and convenient so fulfills a niche. And I also believe that every saw sold to first timers should come with the dullest chain a person could dig outta the trashcan. Will teach em humility and that everything they do with the saw from then on will be a step in the right direction
Totally. I recommend the fuel to anyone using their saw for only a couple tanks worth of fuel per year, but if they are using more than that it's just a waste of money. Only time I can justify putting it in my tanks is over winter, but even then I'm usually cutting often enough that its still too much money.

His boy looks about as stupid as a mud fence. I guess the apple doesn't fall too far from the turnip truck.
I spent a lot of time as the helper while my Father cut wood. I trusted him, well, as a son does. But I never put myself in a position as close as that young man did, while the older man was swinging that saw around.

Latest posts

Back