Video & Pics: 084 in 6' Oak w/50" Bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The exhaust roof was not raised at all on this saw. It was squared up a little and widened. I build for torque as TreeSlingr said. The chain was brand new out of the box Oregon 75CJ. I have not even checked the raker height on it. It cut well though. Once that trunk is on the ground, it won't take but a few minutes to buck it up.

I will use my work as an example. Brad does similar work. I port for torque, but with my exhaust porting and work I get both. A "Happy Medium."
I get a saw (372-MS460) that smokes and 8 tooth on the stump, and smokes it even better when limbing.
Don't know if this makes sense.

Exactly. My 460 turns 15,000 at WOT and that was achieved without raising the exhaust port roof. The saw is super torquey. So much so that it's my favorite saw.

.041" popup on piston, ports widened to skirt limit, transfers tapered to base of jug, modded muffler. It turns somewhere around 14K WOT. I'll have to put a tach on it again to see where it has ended up. It makes not sense to me to put a smaller rim on it if it has the guts to pull it, and it does.

Sounds like a fun saw...makes me want to see what could be done with the 075...

Good thread Brad!!

Makes me want an 088 now... Except for the whole 1600 bucks thing. ;)

Are you saying that the 385 is a similarly classed saw as the 372 or the 084?
All of the porting with the exception of the exhaust work Brad mentioned is for torque.

I find my 385 similarly classed with my 372. Both can wear the same bar and chain, but the smaller guy's well suited to under 2'. The big brother is nice for the 3' firs. The little guy's nice for bumping knots though, it sure winds up nice!

Ever feel like winding up an old turd 385 power head?

Come on Brad, my 044 would SMOKE that ole turd...J/K

Nice saw, pics and video as usual! You are a true CAD addict and gearhead!

:cheers:

The exhaust roof was not raised at all on this saw. It was squared up a little and widened. I build for torque as TreeSlingr said. The chain was brand new out of the box Oregon 75CJ. I have not even checked the raker height on it. It cut well though. Once that trunk is on the ground, it won't take but a few minutes to buck it up.

Out of the box 75CJ is usually right at .018" to .020".

And we all know full well that Brad really should be running a 6-tooth spur sprocket and 3/8ths picco-micro-narrow on that 50" bar...

Never have I ever seen a tree that big!!! :jawdrop: :jawdrop: I'd love to though, here, the biggest trees we see are lousy old cottonwoods, I hate those dumb things. There's 2 of them that lean over my shop, I lease the building, and the landlord is sitting on his hands, says he can't get anyone here to drop them. I'm ordering a 28" 7900 full wrap next month, so I plan on bucking them up, they're a little better than 3' at the base...and for here, that's big! They're about 80ish feet tall, and one makes me real nervous, I hope they get knocked down before they squish me in my shop someday! :mad:

Thanks for the videos, fun to see someone cutting into a tree that large! :cheers:

I intend to try counting the rings. I but it's well over 200 years old. That's an uneducated guess though.

We started counting rings on the "big" oak blowdown we're working on and figured Lewis and Clark may have peed on it as a sapling. Yours is much bigger/older.

Franklin 170

Fortunately, it's not my responsibility to figure out how this tree will come apart. My friends in Findlay that will be getting this tree work at a tractor sales and repair shop, so will have access to equipment, not to mention the Bobcat and other tractors they own themselves. If I'm lucky, they'll have the limbs off of it when I go back:). It's certainly not a tree to just start hacking on. It would kill or mame you in a heartbeat. To see these trees in person is incredible. It's like going sight seeing. These pictures do not do them justice. Just walking up to one of these things and thinking of working on them will make you a little nervous. They definately deserve all the respect you can give them.

BTW, how would you pros go about dismantling a tree of this size?

Your D@MN right...those trees need ALL of the respect you can give.... If you don't know what your doing....they can hurt you or kill you REAL quick... What we do at work on trees like that is cut the limbs off first....obviously....then work from the top down the trunk...we don't cut fire wood but....cut the main logs off the top first, then I would take the franklin 170 and try to push it off the stump..... Or if that don't work then...on the side that has the most weight, cut a notch in the stump.....then follow up with the backcut and wedges....if the wedges don't move it....then try to push it over with a big tractor...and yes it will just fall to the side....and there you go it's on the ground...... And be CAREFUL.....keep your eyes peeled and WATCH.....:cheers: :greenchainsaw:

Not to take anything away, but I'd throw a 7 pin back on that puppy. Those big saws were made for torque, not excessive speed, that's where they shine and are superior, in the torque factor. 372's and 440 & 460's were made to turn really fast, not 80 series Stihls.

A 7 pin on a saw that has huge torque, I'd go with a 8 but then thats a looong bar. Steve

Dayummmmmmmmmm what a tree, that's one big mofo. That big Sthil was humming good there. Great pics, great saw and one helluva tree,:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Back