VIDEO: Topping and dropping a 58" DBH Oak tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been looking forward to this for a while. An acquaintance of mine runs a lawn care business and does some tree work as well. One of the properties he maintains had a huge 58" DBH White Oak that was lightning damaged. He asked me if I'd like to help since he knew I had the saws and bars to do it. This video is the whole thing from beginning to end. I'm not a tree falling expert, nor do I know anything about climbing. There may be 1001 safety concerns in this video, but that's not my concern. The guys got the job done, and did a good job of it.

The biggest mistake I made of the day was having to change the angle of my notch. I also shouldn't have tried to make the back cut with a 72" bar. I had a lot of trouble keeping the far end from drooping too much. It made it difficult to keep the back cut above the notch. I kept at it and finally got it where I wanted it. I left about a 4" hinged, and kept it well above the notch. I was careful not to undercut my notch on this bad boy. Lesson learned on the last big one I dropped.

It was a lot of fun, but I am exhausted. I've edited this video from better than 40 minutes of footage. I hope you enjoy it.

I had to break the video up into less than 10 minute clips.

716171439_5H6eq-M.jpg

Last edited:
Awsome vids.. wife walked in half way through and said " I can't believe your watching a video of guys cutting down a tree".. hehehe makes me want to go out and cut something down in the yard! :chainsaw:

I bet there was a few cord in that tree..

Was this tree on private property and what was ballpark cost. Seems like a huge expense for a homeowner.

I'm on the work comp. right now with Satelite conect. so will have to watch the vids when I get home tonight.

That is one BAD ASS pic of you standing on the stump with a Bad ASS saw! Gave me a little grin and the wish I coulda been there kinda feeling! Very cool man! :cheers: Ain't too many that size this side of the missisip!

WOW!! :censored:'in awesome Brad!!! :clap: Thanks for posting!!

Is that the big bar you got a while ago, that you got "just for show" !?? Cuz it looks like it got some "GO" !! :cheers:

Last edited:
I bet there was a few cord in that tree..[/QUOTE]
I don't know how many tandem axle trailer and pickup loads they hauled out of there just from the limbs!

Was this tree on private property and what was ballpark cost. Seems like a huge expense for a homeowner.
It's a city park. I have no idea what the cost was.

I'm on the work comp. right now with Satelite conect. so will have to watch the vids when I get home tonight.

That is one BAD ASS pic of you standing on the stump with a Bad ASS saw! Gave me a little grin and the wish I coulda been there kinda feeling! Very cool man! :cheers: Ain't too many that size this side of the missisip!
Here are the rest of the pics for you. 10350018_b7ffr#716165588_kTJXo"]PICS

Is that the big bar you got a while ago, that you got "just for show" !?? Cuz it looks like it got some "GO" !! :cheers:
It is:) I never dreamed I'd actual "use" it someday!

Fantastic fun & video bl as usual. I'm afraid of the vacuum that might arise should you ever feel the urge to leave AS.

Lots of fun to watch. Thanks for posting them, Brad. There's not only value in how-to, but as much value in how-not-to. Cool that you're willing to show yourself at a bit of a disadvantage! Not so many guys will do that. :clap: :clap:

Lots of fun to watch. Thanks for posting them, Brad. There's not only value in how-to, but as much value in how-not-to. Cool that you're willing to show yourself at a bit of a disadvantage! Not so many guys will do that. :clap: :clap:

Yeah, I so desperately wanted a perfect notch and backcut! I cleaned it up and made it work, but it wasn't picture perfect. I made sure I maintained control of this bad boy! It's just SO HARD to get everything square and level on big trees!

Hey BL

How was the verdict by the others on the 346, 681 and your other saws?
Your Dad needs a pair of chaps!

Yeah, I so desperately wanted a perfect notch and backcut! I cleaned it up and made it work, but it wasn't picture perfect. I made sure I maintained control of this bad boy! It's just SO HARD to get everything square and level on big trees!

Hey, maybe someone needs to start making bars with levels in them! C'mon Brad, you can do the fabrication! :D

How was the verdict by the others on the 346, 681 and your other saws?

They loved both of them. I would be surprised if another one or two 681s will be sold. I'm going to have to start charging comission, lol:)

Your Dad needs a pair of chaps!

Yes, he does. The funny think is, is that he has cut for years, and we didn't even know what chaps were. Back before the days of cell phones, he spent many an hour out getting the biggest pieces of firewood he could, ALONE:dizzy:. He would cut and load 300-500 pound pieces all by himself, regularly! He's a mans man. Too bad he didn't pass those physical traits on, lol:) He's never cut himself once, but I agree, he still needs a pair.

Hey, maybe someone needs to start making bars with levels in them! C'mon Brad, you can do the fabrication! :D

I think a helper handle would be first on the list if I was going to use this 6' bar for falling anymore! That was the problem on the back cut, too much droop.

Anyone have any tips on getting the notch square the first time on huge trees like this? I've always made the bottom cut first and get it lined up the way I want it to fall. I'd then make the angled cut to connect those two end points. I was advised to make the top cut first, so I did this time. It didn't go as planned, as you can see. We might as well learn something from this video.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back