Wacko firewood delivery

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLEARVIEW TREE

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Recently, i had a rick of wood headed out to wears valley,tn. I asked the lady like all my customers,a simple question. Are you all gonna stack it or do i have to stack it? I have to charge for stacking. She said no, we'll stack the wood. Second question, Is it level and can i back right in to where the wood will be piled? Oh yeah, no problem at all, dry, flat, and all!!!
I arrive at the home and the steep grade up the drive told me i was in for it. I pull up, they come to the door. The husband is like, well it's goin around back! The wife chimes in and says,"There's just a couple of steps where it's going on the deck"! I was like, man, no one said anything bout a deck!
I pull around back, no lights on at all at the rear of home. They had a small grassy path that my little ranger could barely back into towards the basement. I get out and the ranger was sitting in about 2 inches of muddy grass(Septic leach bed), real nice!! The husband yells,"hey up here fella". I said, "Could ya turn some lights on and show me where you want the wood off loaded?" He flipped the lights on, and n kidding, there was 12 steps up to the deck. I said,"sir, no offense, but i'm about to get stuck where i'm at right now!" You all said the area was clear, flat and accesible. Your wife then said you only had a couple of steps where you wanted the wood put and there are 12. It is dark,i'm alone, and that's how you've been charged, so the wood is going right here in the grass next to the steps.
He said, well, no problem then. I swear these folks were just trying to pull one over on me. They payed me and thanked me, never admitting any wrong doing, but if they ever call, they will not get any wood from me. I don't like helping dishonest folks. They can take it down, cut it, split it, stack it, season it, and load it again and deliver it themselves! Though firewood is a small part of my biz, people need to have more respect for folks that actually earn our living from the trees! I hope i made the right call!

No offense, but if it were me, I would do a few things different.

I wouldn't back anywhere off a driveway without getting out and walking where I will be driving. Lets me know if the ground is soft or stable.

Second, I would be carrying a flashlight. Never know when something sharp might run into your tires.

Third, I wouldn't deliver after dark to a new customer.

I am not saying you are doing something wrong, but that is the way I work my wood business.

Customers like the one you posted about would be facing higher wood prices, and likely have to buy a wheelborrow to move their wood to where THEY are going to stack it.

I wouldn't back anywhere off a driveway without getting out and walking where I will be driving. Lets me know if the ground is soft or stable.

Second, I would be carrying a flashlight. Never know when something sharp might run into your tires.

I am not saying you are doing something wrong, but that is the way I work my wood business.

Customers like the one you posted about would be facing higher wood prices, and likely have to buy a wheelborrow to move their wood to where THEY are going to stack it.
i keep a light in all 3 of my trucks. Just meant they needed to turn on some real light, so i could see REAL good,lol. The ground from what i could see looked flat and grassy. But you're right, if id walked through i'd seen how wet it was. The delivery was before dark, but after all the rigamoroll,.....well ya know. Thanks

Wears Valley

Recently, i had a rick of wood headed out to wears valley,tn.

If you hauled that load all the way from Dandridge, you had at least a couple hours driving round trip. On a situation like that, what to do? If you decide to cancel the sale, you've just spent a lot of time and gas for nothing. In situations like that, I usually cave in and do what they want, within reason, and then never return to get screwed a second time.

I've been through Wears Valley many times as a kid in the 60's, one of the most beautiful places you could imagine, like something from a post card. One country store, one gas station, small farms, fields and forests, with the Smoky Mts. as a backdrop. Today, it's ruined, it's just another subdivision filled with the sort of morons you just sold a load of wood to....

hmmmmm...................

Recently, i had a rick of wood headed out to wears valley,tn. I asked the lady like all my customers,a simple question. Are you all gonna stack it or do i have to stack it? I have to charge for stacking. She said no, we'll stack the wood. Second question, Is it level and can i back right in to where the wood will be piled? Oh yeah, no problem at all, dry, flat, and all!!!
I arrive at the home and the steep grade up the drive told me i was in for it. I pull up, they come to the door. The husband is like, well it's goin around back! The wife chimes in and says,"There's just a couple of steps where it's going on the deck"! I was like, man, no one said anything bout a deck!
I pull around back, no lights on at all at the rear of home. They had a small grassy path that my little ranger could barely back into towards the basement. I get out and the ranger was sitting in about 2 inches of muddy grass(Septic leach bed), real nice!! The husband yells,"hey up here fella". I said, "Could ya turn some lights on and show me where you want the wood off loaded?" He flipped the lights on, and n kidding, there was 12 steps up to the deck. I said,"sir, no offense, but i'm about to get stuck where i'm at right now!" You all said the area was clear, flat and accesible. Your wife then said you only had a couple of steps where you wanted the wood put and there are 12. It is dark,i'm alone, and that's how you've been charged, so the wood is going right here in the grass next to the steps.
He said, well, no problem then. I swear these folks were just trying to pull one over on me. They payed me and thanked me, never admitting any wrong doing, but if they ever call, they will not get any wood from me. I don't like helping dishonest folks. They can take it down, cut it, split it, stack it, season it, and load it again and deliver it themselves! Though firewood is a small part of my biz, people need to have more respect for folks that actually earn our living from the trees! I hope i made the right call!

sounds like you found yourself a pair of DAMN YANKEES to me.stay away,they are nothing but trouble!

strange they didn't put of much of a fight though.

may i recommend....................

http://www.surefire.com/E1B-Backup

this is the cat's a$$

Did I read that right? They said it was okay to dump the wood on top of their leach bed? Yech! That aught to smell nice when burnt...

Back up lights: I was having a problem at night seeing through the smoked glass on the rear of my SUV when backing up. Last Christmas, my requested present was small fog lights with clear lenses fully installed as back up lights. Works like a charm!

Shari

ya,and if you were right over a septic leach field--oh my!!! you could have been paying a tow bill to get out!!! id said goodbye when done also--

or, worse yet, they could claim later the truck ruined one of the leach lines and want it fixed. not worth the few extra bucks.

general rule of thumb should be to never drive off a paved surface.

or, worse yet, they could claim later the truck ruined one of the leach lines and want it fixed. not worth the few extra bucks.

general rule of thumb should be to never drive off a paved surface.

That is a pretty restrictive rule. Being judicious will let you get on the lawn, etc. and still not risk getting stuck. We get off the pavement a lot of deliveries. If all conditions were fine the homeowner would think you had an attitude if you declined and they probably would be right.

Back