Wagon wrecked

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My most useable wood mover broke...again. Due to a design flaw + overload

wreck1_zps6f4ae661.jpg

Overload: I was pulling it with the rider mower. A full load of Black Locust splits probably double the rated load capacity.

The design flaw is that 1/8" x 1" strap that runs between the uprights. It has a 3/4" or 7/8" hole on each end through whick the axle upright legs run. That leaves only about 1/16" of metal on the edge of the holes which breaks and the the channel uprights bend. My first go was theat rust colored strap welded between those uprights - weld broke on one end.

All fixable with a BFH and a welder, hammer I got, welder no and I don't think my eyeballs would see well enough anyhow. Debated taking it to town but then I would still have a wagon not rated for the loads I haul. Bit the bullet and ordered one from Amazon rated 1400 lb. $109 (not bad). Shipping $38 (ouch!!). When it comes, I will exam that steering linkage and if at all like what I have I will have a good brace added before I ever use it..

The old one will be given to the neighbor, let him fix it :)

Harry K

Ooops! Oh well, you already ordered a new one. I think the old one coulda been fixed with out welding, just some more sheet metal and drilling and washers and bolts.

I had a mower that garden goddess crashed down a hill, bent the frame a lot. Pulled it out sorta straight with the jeep and the mower chained to a tree, buncha mending plates and bolts later, back in service.

Ooops! Oh well, you already ordered a new one. I think the old one coulda been fixed with out welding, just some more sheet metal and drilling and washers and bolts.

I had a mower that garden goddess crashed down a hill, bent the frame a lot. Pulled it out sorta straight with the jeep and the mower chained to a tree, buncha mending plates and bolts later, back in service.

Certainly can be fixed but you are ignoring the big "BRAND NEW TOY" aspect :)

Harry K

Certainly can be fixed but you are ignoring the big "BRAND NEW TOY" aspect :)

Harry K

New, and not have to mess with is good.

I have one like your broken one, works fine, but I don't overload it. It's a little top heavy towing on uneven/offroad surfaces. I rarely use it with the tractor tote box as an alternative.

Well, that bites. What's the old saying about putting 8 pounds of taters into a 5-pound sack? ;)

I can't say too much ~ overloaded my first dump cart a week after I got it new. Put too much weight in, squashed both tires as I was towing it out of the woodlot. Just blew 'em off the rims.

SBYL it's to lightly built for the load your putting in it and adding screws, holes...isn't going to make it much stronger. Add metal and weld it, lessen the load would make it's life longer to....

We have the red version to you green wagon. Bought ours at Northern Tool a few years back. We added a plywood interior floor and solid sheet metal sides all in about the first week of use. Now, around 4 yrs. later, we've been experiencing tire blow-outs - interestingly none of the blow-outs happened while the wagon was in use. I have had it with split rims - I just replaced all 4 tires with solid rubber tires. Should be good to go now.

We have the red version to you green wagon. Bought ours at Northern Tool a few years back. We added a plywood interior floor and solid sheet metal sides all in about the first week of use. Now, around 4 yrs. later, we've been experiencing tire blow-outs - interestingly none of the blow-outs happened while the wagon was in use. I have had it with split rims - I just replaced all 4 tires with solid rubber tires. Should be good to go now.

The Northern Tool 1400 load rated is the one I ordered. I'm for sure going to eyieball that front end steering linkage closely and reinforce it if it looks as dubious as my old one.

Had a flat once on the old wagon. No problem fixing it, my local tire shop did it for free :) (long time customer there)

Harry K

I have one of those same wagons that has gone through a couple of rebuiilds due to weight wearing it out. Sides went out first, then the front wheels as the hubs busted out. I use mine inside on a concrete floor but the wheelbase is too narrow and gets tipsy when overloaded. I ended up using an old riding mowers wheels given to me from a friend and made up the axle mounts. New pull handle that can be switched for a tounge to be pulled with something else.

MVC-017F_9.JPG

MVC-019F_9.JPG

MVC-018F_15.JPG

MVC-018F_16.JPG

MVC-015F_1.JPG

MVC-016F_1.JPG

MVC-018F_17.JPG

It'll hold close to a 1/4 of a cord but only that much when putting in the furnace house.

I have one of those same wagons that has gone through a couple of rebuiilds due to weight wearing it out. Sides went out first, then the front wheels as the hubs busted out. I use mine inside on a concrete floor but the wheelbase is too narrow and gets tipsy when overloaded. I ended up using an old riding mowers wheels given to me from a friend and made up the axle mounts. New pull handle that can be switched for a tounge to be pulled with something else.

MVC-017F_9.JPG

MVC-019F_9.JPG

MVC-018F_15.JPG

MVC-018F_16.JPG

MVC-015F_1.JPG

MVC-016F_1.JPG

MVC-018F_17.JPG

It'll hold close to a 1/4 of a cord but only that much when putting in the furnace house.

Yep, the wheel base is too narrow on those carts. No reason at all that they could not be in inch or two wider to bring the wheels out flush with the sides. I wouldn't want them any wider as it has to go through the porch door. I'm going to take a look at the new one to see if I can get that extra inch or two without a major operation.

Harry K

Yep, the wheel base is too narrow on those carts. No reason at all that they could not be in inch or two wider to bring the wheels out flush with the sides. I wouldn't want them any wider as it has to go through the porch door. I'm going to take a look at the new one to see if I can get that extra inch or two without a major operation.

Harry K
That is my situation as well, I still want to be able to take it in and out a walk in door. That is why it looks like a pro street car from the back. The hiegth is fine with me as at 6'5" it means less leaning.

Those little wagons are pretty handy , this one has taken a beating too. Overloaded....alwaysView attachment 362064 View attachment 362065

Update. Should have aken pictures. The one I bought was rated 1400lbs fro Northern Tool and Equipment. DO NOT BUY THIS ONE!!!

Instant comparison from the 'heavy duty 1400 lb) and the one that broke:

Instead of the axles being braced at each end, as was on he broken one, there is only once brae per axle in the middle.

Problems assembling:

1. one wheel didn't have the bearing pressed in far enough to allow the needed flat & lock washer installed. Had to use just the nut.
2. One side panel had the closure clip welded on backward (acutally I think it was the right clip but in the wrong location - had to hay wire it shut.
3. The entire steering and front axle relies on the same bolt - that bolt was too short and I had to substitute one. The amazing thing is that bolt holds the front axle brace the pivot for th tongue, etc. Since it has to be loose enough to allow the tongue to turn, how in the hell is it supposed to brace the axle!!.

I called the company, explained the problem with the wheel and side panel. Female answered, asked very few questions said one minute, came back "we have those in stock and will ship immediately".

Hmmm... They stock such items that should have a very low "call for" need and can ship immediately? Leads one to think that perhaps they are aware of the piss poor quality control on this POS.

I suspect the 1400lb load would collapse the thing at the first corner.

Harry K

Back