walbro carb. help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomdcoker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
walbro wa 038 carb. put in new kit, soaked overnite in cleaner, blew out all orfices, tank venting, new filter, disassemble and plenty of fuel in the metering compartment, choke to crank, wot fine, will not idle long, cycling the trigger will keep it running without being wot. gasket next to body on pump side, gasket next to cover on metering side. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Tom

tomdcoker said:
walbro wa 038 carb. put in new kit, soaked overnite in cleaner, blew out all orfices, tank venting, new filter, disassemble and plenty of fuel in the metering compartment, choke to crank, wot fine, will not idle long, cycling the trigger will keep it running without being wot. gasket next to body on pump side, gasket next to cover on metering side. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Tom

It's backwards.

Metering cover-> metering diaphragm-> gasket -> carb body.
Pump cover -> gasket-> Pump diaphragm-> carb body.

walbro carb. help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the quick response. I think I have the diamphrams and gaskets right. I just typed it wrong, but I will check tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Tom

tomdcoker said:

Might not be the carb. How's the intake boot, pulse line, fuel hose, and seals.

You might have a small air leak that's sensitive at idle but get's masked at WOT.

This is on a dolmar ps 401 saw. It has a metal manifold not a rubber boot. I checked the pulse tube and it seemed to be o.k. The saw is only about one year old so I do not think it would have a leaking seal, but I will check everything out. Thanks for the help. Tom

Post the saw's symptons that led you up to the carb rebuild. Was it bad idle prior to the rebuild? Some member's here have forgotten more then I'll ever learn about chainsaw diagnosis so with the right info. they may chime in and be able to help.

I've always read that good idle require's a saw in very good condition. (ie it take more to produce a nice good idle then to run at WOT. Bad idle can be precursor to lean seaze.)

I have little Makita DCS401. They're great little saws. Good luck in the diagnosis.

walbro carb. please help!!!!!!!!!!!

The orignal problem was that saw would only run for 4 or 5 seconds when you cranked it, the reason for this, I found out after I rebuilt the carb. was that someone had lost the vent value in the vent tube and replaced it with a rivet. Thanks Tom

Back