Wally world bar lube

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TSC oil for me, year round. When its super cold I just let the saw warmup a little longer to thin down the oil in the tank. Between the engine heat and the muffler heat, the oil thins down just fine in a couple of minutes. If its so cold that it doesn't pour out of the jug I find some indoor work to do.

Has anyone ever been told by one of their cuttin buddies...hey your bar oil stinks...get away from me... and go cut down wind from me.....jerk!!:laugh: My bar oil isnt just more tackier than yours....it smells better too!!!! LOL......guys im not trying to be a troll....just go back to the beginning of the thread and read...and tell me some of you arent embarrassed....HA HA HA!!!

no. but i've told a cuttin partner to stay down wind because he stank.

Bar Oil Weights

One of the local petroleum distributors sells a brand of bar oil that I have never heard of before. His customers are all comercial loggers. You can get it in 1's, 5's and 50 gal drums. He stocks it in many weights-20, 30, 40, 50 and up. The manufacturer has a conversion chart for all of the major brands of bar oil into weight. Stihl is 50wt, Husqvarna is 40wt and Poulan is 30wt. Each saw manufacturer designs their saws to run on a specific grade of oil in the summer. My Homelites were designed to use 30wt oil and love Poulan oil. Obviously Poulan oil works good in Poulans, but I do use Husqvarna oil in my 5200 when I'm milling. He said to drop a weight when it's cold and two weights when it's really cooold.
The local farm supply is a Husky dealer and they carry summer and winter Husky bar oil, one has a white cap and the other has an orange cap. Hope this helps.

I just got 2 gallons of TSC bar oil for $14. I could pay that much for only 1 gallon of Stihl oil. I wouldn't buy wally world stuff -- not near as tacky as I like.

FWIW, you can take a sample (needs to be about a pint or more) of any oil to your local oil blending company and they will analyze it for free. They will be able to tell you exactly what is in it and can reproduce it for you. You'll have to buy a 55 gallon drum and hand pump, but it should be quite a bit cheaper than buying it over the counter.......and yes, I have done it before.

Last edited:
the walmart super tech bar oil is just fine all the cookie cutters can pay for the stihl name cuz thats what your doing is paying for the name

Tack is actually an ingrediate used in an oil blend to keep the lube in place. It's in oils for motorcycle chain lubes, lathe/mill beds, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if bar oil was just standard 30wt oil with tack added.

8-10 yrs ago tech 2000 was as tacky as any bar oil on the market but now there's none to it at all.

Tack is actually an ingrediate used in an oil blend to keep the lube in place. It's in oils for motorcycle chain lubes, lathe/mill beds, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if bar oil was just standard 30wt oil with tack added.

Of the four different brands of bar oil i have, three have 30wt printed on the plastic container. Its not on the printed label but ink printed on the bottle itself. Those three are Husqvarna (white bottle), Poulan (green bottle), TSC (black bottle), only the Shindawia oil (black bottle) doesnt readily appear to be marked. Some of the markings are light but in the right light they are visible. So 30wt. it is for some anyway.

I have not heard any mention of Dolmar oil. I buy it for 7-8 bucks a gallon and it seems just as tacky as the next oil. I have been running it for a year now and have not had any trouble with it!

Heck I'd run that stuff too, at that price. There's a Husky dealer 90 miles south of me that sells Husqvarna oil for 8 bucks on sale, when bought by the case. I snag it whenever I'm down that way, and add it to the "Inventory". LOL!!

"Bestest I can get for cheapest" LOL!!

Take your Dolly dealer a six pack with a bow on it now and then. The dude is hooking ya up.:rock:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

What's funny is that I can buy bar oil cheaper than regular 10W30. :msp_unsure:

Yup!!

Bar oil goes into the GP oil cans around here, for roller chain lube, keeping pins on impliments from rusting, and anything that dosn't call for penetrating oil. "Tacky" works better than plain old 30wt anyhow, and it's cheaper! LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I use this oil.
pd_188586-30102-54009_0__

And this brand.
ProductDisplay

Another brand I use on occation.
00a84f3b-81bf-4d30-a325-14007a603a67_300.jpg

And this one.
thumb.php

Another brand.
51-jgvJ9NiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

one more.
31HAPKmbRWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

In other words I buy from what ever store I am at if I need bar oil. If i need to do a quick job and am out of oil I am not going to drop every thing to go buy a jug. I'll use what ever motor oil I have on hand and that includes used motor oil if need be.
Only problem I ever had is with a Jonsered saw and the plastiac oil pump and some to thick oil in the winter. In 1980 I bought a 55 gallon drum of bar oil. I wish I had of bought 110 gallons at that time I paid 1.75 a gallon for it then. today I can not even find a place that sells bulk from their tank like back then.

My panties are for dress up not for when I am working.

:D Al

Latest posts

Back