Walnut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky46cc

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Where will future walnut trees come from? I only ask because I see such magnificent huge slabs being milled up. They're gorgeous. Same for black cherry . (My 2 favorite woods). These slabs must be well over 100 years old. Will we ever see the like again? Also, am I correct in assuming that the big forestry companies only plant pine for lumber because it grows fast? And that walnut and cherry take so long to mature into usable lumber that it's not profitable for them?
Thanks,
Tom

It will come from the hardwood forests north and west of you. We are growing FAR more timber than is being harvested. The pine plantations are the bread and butter of forestry in the southeast, so that is what you see. Head for the mountains and you will see hardwood forestry in full force. Not as much planting happens in hardwood stands because the repopulate well on their own if they are managed well.

Not a lot of Walnut in my area here in NY but Oak, Ash, Maple and Hickory are all doing really well. The Emerald Ash Bore beetle has been wreaking havoc with the Ash trees the past few years but they still grow like weeds.

Back