Want a new saw, 24 inch bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gamedic

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm going to buy a new saw this year. Either a Stihl or Dolmar, both have dealers close. I will buy a couple different bars. I think a 18 for general work, but I have a large oak to cut. The oak is probably close to 4 foot across, so I will buy a 24 inch bar also. What would be my best bet for a reasonably priced saw? Thanks for any input.

I understand the dealers are close to you but would not throw out a Husqvarna XP series as another thought. reasonably priced is different with every one.
I tend to spend the $$$ needed to get say a 372XP " have 2 one in 24 one in 28" and consider it reasonable in that there a great saw for my uses and they will last.
I would not suggest the Rancher series. to my worst enemy. did you have to have new or consider used.

Bill

I'm going to buy a new saw this year. Either a Stihl or Dolmar, both have dealers close. I will buy a couple different bars. I think a 18 for general work, but I have a large oak to cut. The oak is probably close to 4 foot across, so I will buy a 24 inch bar also. What would be my best bet for a reasonably priced saw? Thanks for any input.

stihl ms 441cm , 461r or 362 !!! but I would not want a 362. had 3 in the shop this week that were no more than 4 months old , one ate an ignition coil and its only been used for 2 tanks since it was taken out of the box 2.5 weeks ago and the other two needed New carb's as carb kits didn't do "f" all

stihl ms 441cm , 461r or 362 !!! but I would not want a 362. had 3 in the shop this week that were no more than 4 months old , one ate an ignition coil and its only been used for 2 tanks since it was taken out of the box 2.5 weeks ago and the other two needed New carb's as carb kits didn't do "f" all

A nos 361 might be your best bet !!

24" in hardwood is firmly 70cc territory, or even 80/90cc in our hardwoods. 60cc will do it but It's like towing a 3.5ton trailer with your 2wd station wagon. We use a 576xp and 385xp for work - the 576 really struggles with the 24" but the 385 is ok. So that puts you in pro saw territory, which may be more than you consider "reasonably priced". If I were you I'd look for a second hand MS460/046/64 or 7900, or maybe even 372xp/M440/046. Shame you can't buy the MS381 as if it were here I'd recommend that - a pro 70cc saw for only a fraction more than homeowner 60cc price

Last edited:
Look into a 6401 it'll be cheaper to upgrade it to a 7901 than to buy one. A 365xt is also a good candidate for you. If you're dead set on Stihl then 441cm is your best bet but you're looking at some doll hairs when getting into any 70cc saw. So pick what's best for you from the dealer that's going to provide the best service.

Quality is something we all look for in a product. But I'd take a poor quality product with better service over a high quality poor service.

In the States especially N Ga, you should have no problem with a solid 60 cc saw and a 24/ 18" combo.

The 361's are great saws which is the Stihl option for you

Husky has 362 365 and i guess the 460 rancher, but I am a pro saw guy all the way. New would be a 562

I have a 7910 Dolmar and its OK
I haven't yet run a 6400, but lots of people like these saws more so if you can pick a Makita version up used from a rental place or Home Depot.

Jonsered can be found at Tractor Supply now if you could get there 65cc pro saw it would be a great choice.

Look at your Oak tree again, reckon its a tree that maybe a pro should be handling for you if you don't know what saw you want, or possibly the thread was just for conversations sake, which is cool! 4' of Oak tree, sounds like a job for a 70 cc saw, a 346 and 2 experienced sawers, and Stuff! I would love one of those about the middle of September.

You may want to condsider buying by displacement rather than bar size. Match the saw to the job, as a general rule of thumb I want 3 cc's for every inch of bar.

I used my Dolmar 7300 with the 24" bar on a 24" oak last week, since you mentioned oak, although it wasn't 4 feet. The saw does fine. It's no problem to cut oak with this saw, and if you put it into anything less than a good size oak, it has to be held back so it it doesn't drop right through and hit the ground. It needs no coaxing, and the weight isn't that bad.

The dealer had a 7300 but no 7900 and didn't figure he'd be getting any, so based on price and availability, and the high cost of the Stihl saws I went with the 7300. It was $660 two years ago. I'm not a pro, but needed a big saw for those times when you need a big saw. I hope I didn't overpay. The 7900 is probably a lot nicer, and the Stihls and others are probably great, too. Northern New Jersey is not lumber country, and availability is scarce, so all that has to factor in when looking for a saw.

I've seen on Craig's list where some people completely rebuild saws and sell them. The nice Stihls and Huskys. There was even a big, hardly used Stihl. Lots of choices. And so little time....

man, check the auctions/classifieds here, several good stihl deals are up right now.

http://www.arboristsite.com/tradin-post/

I'd buy the lightest good saw that best fits 80% of my work, and rent a big saw for that one tree....But that's just me, I'm cheap.
Don't forget it's not just the cost of a saw. There's spare chains, bars, plugs, case etc. You're talking $1,000 'fore you're done.
What does it cost to rent one for a day?

I'm going to buy a new saw this year. Either a Stihl or Dolmar, both have dealers close. I will buy a couple different bars. I think a 18 for general work, but I have a large oak to cut. The oak is probably close to 4 foot across, so I will buy a 24-inch bar also. What would be my best bet for a reasonably priced saw? Thanks for any input.

Stihl MS 362. My MS 361 will also pull a 24" bar and chain upon command.

However, if that oak tree is truly 4' across, you need an MS 660 with a 32" to 36" bar. You cannot have your cake and eat it too.

This smells of a 70cc saw, at the least, specially since you may want a 28" if that wood really is 4 feet.

If Husky isn't an option, I would look at the MS461 and the Dolmar 7910.

I'll measure the tree in a day or two. The homeowner is paying someone to cut it down, but I'm cutting it up for firewood. Cutting it up isn't an issue other than I need a new big saw. I cut up a tree about that size two years ago with a borrowed Stihl 362 I think. It had a 24 inch bar and just made it through if I cut from both sides. I didn't care much for that saw. I have a ms 25 and an old Rancher, but need a newer big saw. My old Stihl 44 backfired and sucked in some rust and scarred up the cylinder.

Look into a 6401 it'll be cheaper to upgrade it to a 7901 than to buy one.

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner since the OP stated "What would be my best bet for a reasonably priced saw?"

He has one big tree to cut up, the 6400 (and I assume the 6401) will pull the 24" bar without any trouble for that use. I have actually ran one with a 28" bar in very hard wood and it pulled it great.

Its also priced a lot lower then the others mentioned making it the most reasonably priced saw for him and his needs. Then like Moody says it can always be upgraded to 79cc .

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner since the OP stated "What would be my best bet for a reasonably priced saw?"

He has one big tree to cut up, the 6400 (and I assume the 6401) will pull the 24" bar without any trouble for that use. I have actually ran one with a 28" bar in very hard wood and it pulled it great.

Its also priced a lot lower then the others mentioned making it the most reasonably priced saw for him and his needs. Then like Moody says it can always be upgraded to 79cc .

A lot of 60cc saws can do it as well, if it is only one tree.....

not to put out the fire, but is there a member close to you to help with the big part?
I LOVE to saw, and I have one of the biggest oaks i have ever seen, but i would find one of my cool AS buddys
to help me with the big part if i had to take it down :D. I helped with a big tree one time and its a whole different ball game!
no disrespect but many people dont need to have a huge saw setting doing nothing :msp_smile:

Latest posts

Back