Want a new saw, 24 inch bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd buy the lightest good saw that best fits 80% of my work, and rent a big saw for that one tree....But that's just me, I'm cheap.
Don't forget it's not just the cost of a saw. There's spare chains, bars, plugs, case etc. You're talking $1,000 'fore you're done.
What does it cost to rent one for a day?
ive bought some high dollar stuff i used one time :(

not to put out the fire, but is there a member close to you to help with the big part?
I LOVE to saw, and I have one of the biggest oaks i have ever seen, but i would find one of my cool AS buddys
to help me with the big part if i had to take it down :D. I helped with a big tree one time and its a whole different ball game!
no disrespect but many people dont need to have a huge saw setting doing nothing :msp_smile:

I like that idea, if it only is about a single tree! :msp_smile:

ive bought some high dollar stuff i used one time :(

So have I but it was covered in the price of the job.A certain 16" Makita circular saw(POS by the way) comes to mind.Last winter after 17 years of tripping over the dam thing I sent it down the road.

I dont make much on tree work, mainly storm clean up and stuff up
to 20" or so a few bigger trees but not many :redface: :msp_biggrin:

Reasonably priced?

That's such a relative term, better if you gave us max. budget amount.

Since Dolmar is a choice, my recommendation is definitely a PS7900 running a 20 inch bar with an 8 tooth sprocket, with a 28 inch bar 7 tooth combo held in reserve for the big stuff.

If you can't find one locally, drop me a PM and I can get you info as to where to purchase one NIB.

Take Care

You really believe that? :hmm3grin2orange:

Nope not needed, but sure is fun to bust out the ported flat top with square ground on a 32". I cut a big oak last week had a blast. :rock:

I'll way in here but don't need to as all has been said. 99% of my saws were bought used, you can find a bargain and have small medium large saws in no time. Look for heavy saws Local wood cutters don't want to carry.

a lot of great Ideas, best if you tell Us what reasonable cost is ?
if $1000.00 them were all very close if $400.00 were all out to lunch .
there was a MS880 that just sold here at a hell of a deal $900.00 if there is one tree you can get by with 1-2 chains minimal cost and the saw but question is if you got something like an 880 would you want to use it .
I like the Husq 372's but that's as large as I like to work with one with a 24" one 28" those 2 saws can bring you to you knees in an afternoon but have plenty of power for me .

Also I believe in used "tried and tested" bought both Huskys approx. 2 years old for $400.00 each , could not be happier with them.

I'm going to buy a new saw this year. Either a Stihl or Dolmar, both have dealers close. I will buy a couple different bars. I think a 18 for general work, but I have a large oak to cut. The oak is probably close to 4 foot across, so I will buy a 24 inch bar also. What would be my best bet for a reasonably priced saw? Thanks for any input.

I will echo the tradin post here.

There have been some pretty good deals the last week or so. The MS 880 for $900 (only 1 tank ran through it!!) Or the 044 Mag for $350. The 044 wears a 24" with pride.

New saws are nice. I have bought a couple. But the used saws are far better deals in my book. Unless I get a 550xp or MS261, I doubt I will by another new saw.

I would like to keep the price under $600 if I can.

You are against used, and want NIB from a dealer? That lowers considerably what size and quality of saw you can get. You won't be getting any 70 cc pro saws for 600 bucks new. On the classifieds here, several good deals just hanging around with decent pro saws. Me, with that budget, I would take the best deal and then get it ported by a pro here. You will come out close to 600 and have something pretty darn decent.

OK, new, you can get an echo timberwolf for under 500 bucks. That's 60 cc pro construction. Get it from a dealer, not home despot, and insist it is full richened up before it leaves the store. it is suited for an 18, and would run a 24 with a sharp chain, very occassional use, and not leaning on it all day long. Then take that 24 back off and put the 18 back on. Buy the mix oil from them, tell them you are only going to run high test (no ethanol if you can score it) and if it needs to come back for service they better not give you any grief and tell you you straight gassed it. Save all your receipts, including the gas station receipt, save the empty mix oil bottles you buy from them, and don't run old mix if all you can get is ethanol contaminated fuel. Two weeks max and shake the crap out of the can before you fill the saw tank.

I wouldn't buy any new saw today without telling the dealer that. I do not trust modern factory carb settings at all, no I do not. It is realistically tuned, or..I don't want it, or I would be buying it knowing I didn't care about any warranty as I would be making sure it was properly adjusted and didn't have some smogged out crap muffler on it. which voids the warranty then if you make that stuff work as it is supposed to work, catch 22.

if this requires back room adjusting, that's what it takes. (AT and mtronics not included, not much you can do yourself there other than proper starting procedure, cold and warm)

Good luck with your choice and have fun with the big wood!

The Poulan Pro 655 in the trading post would fit the bill. Mine even put a smile on Mastermind's face when he ran it.

I'm not against used. I just had not given used any thought when I started this thread. I saw a really nice 044 at a pawn shop last year. I should have bought it, but didn't need one then.

I think you would be just fine to watch the trading post on here and pick up a used one from a reputable member. Andy/redprospector has a nice looking 441 on there for a good price right now.

You are against used, and want NIB from a dealer? That lowers considerably what size and quality of saw you can get. You won't be getting any 70 cc pro saws for 600 bucks new.!

Your out in left field again Zog.

The 6400 is as good as any in quality and it runs like a 70cc saw. Further more it is in his price range, brand new with a warranty.

Anything else you would like to add??

Your out in left field again Zog.

The 6400 is as good as any in quality and it runs like a 70cc saw. Further more it is in his price range, brand new with a warranty.

Anything else you would like to add??

Well, for some reason I thought they were more cash than that. I hear about guys getting them for like cheap used at home depot, but thought the new ones were like 7 or 8 hundred..so, my bad!

Besides that, nope, I just think a good used saw (given it is functionally sound) is a better deal.

edit: I just looked online, site sponsor baileys has them $650 for a model 6401 if you grab it off their amazon link.

2nd edit for "deals": terry landrum, another site sponsor, is blowing out some new and one demo redmax saws. The demo is 67ccs for five bills and shipping, in the auctions/classifieds here.

Last edited:
Back