Want to but apprehensive

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No tree md, not a troll. If you have read any of my posts, you will see there was nothing troll-like, and all started with good intent. And if you go back some 6-7 years and read any of my posts, you will see that I participate in threads in a civil mannerism. This thread opened with my very first post on this forum. I looked up and down the subforums, and Arborist101 seemed the most likely forum to post. I didn't know that "101" meant that it was for professional arborists/treeclimbers only. usually "101" notates a learning experience of the beginners variety (English 101, History 101, etc...)

What I chose not to do, and what apparently happens all the time here, is get admonished by a select few of your peers, then turn tail and runaway, leaving all the muscle-flexers to giggle at running off another that doesn't fit their professional mold. I'm sure there are just as many helpful professional arborists as there are chest-thumpers that think they rule God's Green Earth. For you (and others) to make references to the "Firewooders" and friends on the "Firewood Forum" tells me that this happens quite often here.

Y'all can get back to "your" forum now without any interruptions from me. :clap: I bid all of you upstanding folks a kind farewell.

No tree md, not a troll. If you have read any of my posts, you will see there was nothing troll-like, and all started with good intent. And if you go back some 6-7 years and read any of my posts, you will see that I participate in threads in a civil mannerism. This thread opened with my very first post on this forum. I looked up and down the subforums, and Arborist101 seemed the most likely forum to post. I didn't know that "101" meant that it was for professional arborists/treeclimbers only. usually "101" notates a learning experience of the beginners variety (English 101, History 101, etc...)

What I chose not to do, and what apparently happens all the time here, is get admonished by a select few of your peers, then turn tail and runaway, leaving all the muscle-flexers to giggle at running off another that doesn't fit their professional mold. I'm sure there are just as many helpful professional arborists as there are chest-thumpers that think they rule God's Green Earth. For you (and others) to make references to the "Firewooders" and friends on the "Firewood Forum" tells me that this happens quite often here.

Y'all can get back to "your" forum now without any interruptions from me. :clap: I bid all of you upstanding folks a kind farewell.

Arborist 101:
"This Forum is for individuals new to the business and seeking help learning the basics. Ask the pro's here."

You're right it is the place to ask the pros. I don't think you were out of line for asking your question here. I took no offense to the question at all. Topping is like the cardinal sin around here and has been beaten to death but you don't know what you don't know. No shame in that. My point was that it is ludicrous for a HO do it yourselfer to try to give professional advise here.

And I hear you about the chest beaters. Sorry if I came off that way. It is kind of frustrating when you try to run a professional operation and you have anyone with a chainsaw out here trying to do tree work. It's frustrating when you have a do it yourselfers asking about a something they are totally ignorant of (no offense intended) and have another do it yourselfer chime in with a {yuk, yuk, yeah go fer it, I did it} on this forum. It's like yeah, just jump up there and whack that sucker down with no thought of what your doing to your trees. Especially when most pros are trying their damndest to stop the practice of topping. It's frustrating to see guys in your town butchering trees for peanuts because they have a chainsaw and are working for peanuts. Especially when you are trying to keep men working, work is slowing down, your having to work for less and your guys are calling you everyday begging to go to work. That's no fun, I'll tell you.

My nightmare would be to tell someone, who I have no idea of their skill set, to go ahead, jump up there and top that sucker and then a week later their wife comes on here and thanks everyone for telling this guy to kill himself. I think that would be unethical, immoral and possibly criminal. It's a dangerous job. People get hurt doing it. I have personally been hurt and have known others who have died doing it. I know guys on this site who have been severely injured, one in particular who is an awesome climber, a true professional, one of the people that I respect the most around here. He is a cutting edge climber and a craftsman all the way around. He was severely injured WORKING ON THE GROUND through no fault of his own. I would never call him out but his story is still searchable in the fatalities and injuries forum. This guy is a pro who has been at it 2 decades and he was severely hurt so take that for what it's worth.

I don't know your skill set or what you could do. Not possible from an internet conversation. I do hope that you will think long and hard before you get up in a tree and start dropping big wood. For you families sake.

Last edited:
Oh, and as far as firewood guys. I have no problem with firewood guys. They are my kind of people. Some of my best friends are firewood guys. And I have grown fond of a lot of the firewood guys on here. I just don't want to see them psyching you out to kill yourself either.

Dale quit now cause you will never win this battle. The AS possy will beat you down and make you look like an idiot no matter what you know. These guys are right about your trees it's just that a few of them get woodys off making others look bad, trust me I know just look at a few of my threads. I've been trying to keep my posts to a minimum because of the jerks that think they own this site. I will probably get heckled just for posting this or not because I said so first. Be safe or hire a someone who can.

Dale quit now cause you will never win this battle. The AS possy will beat you down and make you look like an idiot no matter what you know. These guys are right about your trees it's just that a few of them get woodys off making others look bad, trust me I know just look at a few of my threads. I've been trying to keep my posts to a minimum because of the jerks that think they own this site. I will probably get heckled just for posting this or not because I said so first. Be safe or hire a someone who can.

Pretty much true. Good post.:agree2:

Who cares what a jackass in cyberspace thinks. If you can learn one thing everytime you log on its worth dealing with the drama queens.

Who cares what a jackass in cyberspace thinks. If you can learn one thing everytime you log on its worth dealing with the drama queens.

Hey Rob, ever lost someone close to you in this biz? Ever lost someone who taught you a thing or two that you respected? Ever seen a friend get paralyzed? You gonna blood suck and learn from me what I have learned from the blood of brothers? #### you.

Thanks for that post. I'll never share another drop of what I know on this site. Thanks for the wake up call, I hope they make this thread a sticky.

Yes I have! We just need to get away from low blows and name calling. Ill always try to help someone better themselves. YES SAFTEY is number one. I know i want to get home safe to my kids everyday and want the same for everyone else. Ill allways tell someone if there is any doubt in there capabilities dont do it. Sorry if you took this personal
Rob

Yes I have! We just need to get away from low blows and name calling. Ill always try to help someone better themselves. YES SAFTEY is number one. I know i want to get home safe to my kids everyday and want the same for everyone else. Ill allways tell someone if there is any doubt in there capabilities dont do it. Sorry if you took this personal
Rob

If you asked a lawyer what to do to defend yourself what would he tell you?

Are we pros or are we guys out here on the streets looking for beer money?

Sorry, that last post just kind of stuck in my craw

I think this long winter has made all of us a little jagged , there are so many arguments going on now that if I was a new comer tonite I would fack this place lol but who would ever do that ..

Maybe its just different where you're at clearance. We have got big trees crammed in between houses and over a/c condensers etc. etc. all over the place here. What you are saying would not work here and I would go broke. Of course I flomp logs down as long as I can when the situation permits it.

Nuff said :cheers:

I think we just talking about a difference in terminology. Around here, blocking down a tree usually means, on a conifer, stripping the street as you climb up and then cutting firewood sized blocks and throwing them down as you descend.

Different regions use the same words to mean different things. We just have to be careful when we use these terms that others will understand what we mean. Communications 101. That's why they use latin for plant species identification.

A lawer would have no problem defending me. Im fully insured, my equipment is all inspected. I have all my customers sign a contract. I fill out job breifings every job and wear all the correct ppe. Yes i work for a big tree company four days a week but my customer base keeps increaseing and Ill probly be full time on my own in the next two years.

Geez, I read the first 5 pages and had to skip ahead. A couple comments. I live in rural Western Maryland. I grew up around farms and farmers. I live to go to farm auctions. At farm auctions you see more guys with no arms or legs. Farming is very dangerous work, with big powerfull equipment. Most farmers do not ask questions. They are the type of people that when they have or see some thing that needs doing, they just do it. They don't sit around waisting time, they just grab the saw and do it, and often they get hurt, and if they live they just get right back to work. They work their arses off.

I was up over the Mason/Dixon line yesterday, at a big gun auction, in Campbelltown, Pa. Driving along RT 322 I saw rows of Maples in front yards that were Pollarded. That's cutting the whole tree back to big subs. Next door would be trees that were Pollarded years before with a big mass of weak over growth on each stub. In rural MD you see the same thing.

It's been fun waisting time following this thread. I don't have a problem with your questions, I don't have a problem with the Pro advice. I do have a bit of a problem with people who have 20 or 30 posts sticking up for for proceeding with unsound practices because you can do what you want anyway, and knocking the Pro's who are giving sound advice.

Others who say if you think you can do it, just do it. Well, what if you think you can do it and you're wrong? OOPS, just another farmer with a claw for a right hand.

To the OP, God bless my friend, and do what you think is right.

To any non pro who's suggesting to just do it yourself man , you can do it, get off this forum before you get some one killed for following your advice, over the Pro's who know best, Joe.

Back