Want to buy a 2 cylinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-techcowboy

N.A.O.T Racing
Reaction score
Hi everyone I really want to add some kind of twin to my collection and since there the easiest to find and I like echo stuff. Whats a good price to pick up a 610 evl?

Saw one on ebay yesterday..back handle was busted pretty bad and still wanted a good bit for it

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

There is one on eBay for 400, broken bar cover and a cover for sale for 40.
says unit not working.
one for 600 that says runs

The Echo 610 EVL is a horizontally opposed engine design with both cylinders firing simultaneously so you don't really know it is a twin cylinder when it is running. They are very smooth, but a bit underpowered for the weight considering they are a 60 cc saw.

Mark
Yea I wouldn't use it much for more then a show piece plus they sound incredible

The Echo 610 EVL is a horizontally opposed engine design with both cylinders firing simultaneously so you don't really know it is a twin cylinder when it is running. They are very smooth, but a bit underpowered for the weight considering they are a 60 cc saw.

Mark
I noticed in videos that they didn't sound like a twin! That's too bad. It also didn't seem like they had any remarkable performance....

I noticed in videos that they didn't sound like a twin! That's too bad. It also didn't seem like they had any remarkable performance....
I don't believe any twin cylinder saws ever had anything over single cylinder models. Power to weight was way off. Solo Twins sound cool, but they are too fragile and their contemporary mates (635s, Mac and Homey 100cc saws) probably had way more torque. Not to mention increased complexity. Maybe the big twin Disstons, but that's comparing apples to oranges.

Mark
If I remember correctly when the echo twin came out it was mainly for the lower vibration levels that the opposed twin offered as lower vibration was the hot topic in the 80’s for chainsaws

I don't believe any twin cylinder saws ever had anything over single cylinder models. Power to weight was way off. Solo Twins sound cool, but they are too fragile and their contemporary mates (635s, Mac and Homey 100cc saws) probably had way more torque. Not to mention increased complexity. Maybe the big twin Disstons, but that's comparing apples to oranges.
My idea of a twin would be a hot saw based on 440 snowmobile engine, haha.

Don't be so sure about those Echo twins. The ignitions are a real weak point, particularly the module.
That will be the first spare I get if I buy one. Its really just going to be a show piece and the reason I chose echo is I can't find any other twins for sale

Perfect timing. I just registered on this site with the purpose of finding a home for an Echo 610ELV. It was part of our collection of saws used on the farm. I used it in August after a windstorm and it was running fine. However....the cast handle bracket broke and it seems like finding a replacement is impossible. A guy might be able to repair by brazing? Shoot me a pm if interested and I'll send pics. If it's not what you're looking for, I'll post it in the classifieds. Thanks.

I don't know if a McCulloch BP-1 would meet your requirements for a 2 cylinder chainsaw but it does have two pistons but only one fires. I'd think they must be getting rare too since they had a propensity for blowing up and scattering parts all over so McCulloch bought back all of them they could and crushed them.
There are videos of people using them and they look underwhelming but when I ran one in 1962 it cut like jack the bear. It's main drawback was the chain in that it had teeth more like a pruning saw and had a feature where you sharpened it with a button on the saw. A grinding stone was on the end of the mechanism the button actuated and pressed against the chain. The result was an 18 year old kid pushing the button a lot and using up the chain and the stone quickly. A more conventional chain would cut a lot better.

The quote on Mike Acres site:

Worlds only Balanced Piston engine chain saw. The BP-1 is a high speed engine utilizing one piston for power and one for balance and as a sliding intake valve. This saw was sold for a very short period of time and then withdrawn from the market by McCulloch. Because of the RPM that the engine was capable of if the governor failed it was feared that it would disintegrate and injure the operator.

I have never heard of any saws that actually came apart in operation but we didn't have the internet back then so it may have gone mostly unnoticed. Certainly McCulloch had reservations about the saws even though they made a substantial investment in tooling up for production, and providing training schools from coast to coast in advance of releasing the saws.

Other claims for the reason(s) to withdraw the saws include they run hot (indeed they do) and they were too complicated for mechanics of the day. There may have been some saws returned to the factory and destroyed, but quite a few survived in the field and many of those were used quite a lot.

McCulloch also developed a sort of modified bow type bar for the BP-1 to cut plywood. Perhaps it was an attempt to counter the Homelite circular saw of the day? In any case, they spent a lot of capital developing the saw...then dropped it.

They also had plans for a whole family of balanced piston engines for snowmobiles. One cylinder (199cc) and two cylinder (399 cc) were built and they announced plans for four and six cylinder models as well. In the end, they let the entire BP line drop. It may have been excessive emissions that ultimately did the product line in.

Mark

they were too complicated for mechanics of the day.
That was true with our single BP-1. It was always in the shop it seemed and they took longer to repair it. I don't recall any particular problem with it other than the quick chain and sharpener stone replacement. It was hot in the summer on the Foresthill Divide so everything ran hot from the saws to the camp boss.

Back