Wanted; a few pieces of black walnut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I greatly appreciate the offer, Rob. I did a calculation on UPS that told me it would be $30-$50 for a 12x12x12 box. I think I will try and find something closer. I'm told the fingerlakes area of NY has black walnut. That would be about a 90 minute trip out there. Maybe I can find a logger out that way that's bucking logs. I wonder if any state parks out there have walnut trees?.....just kidding...could you imagine? Would that be considered 'jacking' trees? I could see the news headlines...Man arrested for jacking a 377 pointer!lol

There are some really nice Black Walnut trees in Sherburne. They took down a big one about 2 years ago. I don't think much of it grows native here though. One of the commercial saw mills told me they will buy it in from Missouri. At $8-10 a bf I don't think they sell much...

I think your best bet is to post a want ad on craigslist.

I buy hardwood from Wightman's mill in Portlandville. They bring walnut lumber in also, but no logs. Craig's list is a good idea. I'll give it a try.

How much are you looking for? Large flat rate box from the post office? Or larger quantities? I just gave a big box of burls to a guy. I can probably gather up some more easily.

Steven

I turn bowls that are about 11" in diameter. I start off with a blank that's cut out of half of a log chunk. I usually take an unsplit log, at least 12" in diameter, slice the pith out, getting two halves from which I cut out the blank. I don't think they would fit in a large flat rate box (12x12x5.5).

From clear across the country, Washington, I wish I could help.. I still have a couple rounds that I've been guarding.. Just piping in so I can send a pic and brag just a taste. This mantel is from a local tree.. Cheers, KIMG_20171214_203555.jpg

This what you are looking for? It's all split/stacked and seasoning now.:happybanana: BTW, splits nice.

2vvnnz8.jpg

nice mantel.
You guys are killing me with your pictures of walnut firewood piles. Have you no mercy? It's a good think I'm not in the desert dying of heat stroke, cause you guys would be sending me pictures of your swimming pools and water park vacations.

Here:

swfgn9.jpg

Back