• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Wanted, Partner/Poulan Pro oiler worm gear puller. Or oiler gear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 5500 and a 500 that have the left hand worm drive. Both those saws also have the 4 screw recoil cover also. I don’t know how reliable an indicator this is. I have a third saw, a 500, with the late recoil but have not pulled it apart to check the worm.
A std M20 nut is only 16mm thick. You need to reduce the diameter to around 25mm for 12mm or so to fit down in the pump recess which only leaves 4mm of hex left to grip the nut. A deeper nut or welding a tube on would be a definite advantage. With a bit of planning you should be able to use the same tool to re-install the worm too.
My initial plan was to use a small puller or bearing separator to grip the nut, but instead I used an M24 x 1mm washer over the recess to spread the load, locked the crank, greased the threads, and cranked the worm off with a spanner. I did this twice without issue.

Thanks for this info. I will check into your thoughts on the 4 screw cover but my first thought is they changed to that style pretty early so that is probably not a indicator of the later oiler.

I have most every version of these saws and sometime I will try to pin that down.

I got the nuts to make the puller already, but with what I got going on I don't see me getting to this for several months.

I defiantly plan on welding a tube to the nuts to make a regular type puller out of it. The plus is I can chuck the tube in the lathe to turn the nut down.

I got 5 nuts so if this works I might make up several pullers in case others need one.

Latest posts

Back