Was my priceing out of line

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ralawler

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Got a call the other day to look at a tree in town. It was a big pine, the guy won'ted it removed because the needles are blowing on his metal building causeing the gutters to stop up and rust in places where they accumualate heavy. the job was to fell it, limb it, buck it. he would load it and haul it off.
This tree is at least 50inches OD at the base. I priced the job at 100. He said he was thinking it would only be about 20. I told him I wouldn't start one of my saws for 20!!!!!!! He told me he would get someone else to do it. About 1 week later he called again saying he was still thinking about it!!!!!! Do other people doing this type work have the same problem????:confused: :confused: I've found alot of people think this type of work should be done for next to nothing.

About 4 hours with me and another guy. I wasn't trying to be out of line. but you count in fuel coast getting to the job ware on equipment I think that a fair price. I've charge a hell of alot more!!!!!!!!!!!!!

About 4 hours with me and another guy. I wasn't trying to be out of line. but you count in fuel coast getting to the job ware on equipment I think that a fair price. I've charge a hell of alot more!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's 8 man hours plus equipment. Or, $12.50 per hour per man and free equipment and no fuel or maintenance or travel time costs. Seems to me you'd be making a better wage at McDonald's. If you're not bringing in $50 an hour, then like you said, you shouldn't even start your saw. JMO

I revise...

4 hours, two guys? here.. Buy the time you get there and get home, the day is shot - $500-$600 .... much more in some zip codes.

The up side to this is a man that works part time for this guy gave my 25 good mill size pines he just won'ts them removed from his property. I'll proply cut and sell them to the mill I work at. Should be a nice junk of change!:)

Got a call the other day to look at a tree in town. It was a big pine, the guy won'ted it removed because the needles are blowing on his metal building causeing the gutters to stop up and rust in places where they accumualate heavy. the job was to fell it, limb it, buck it. he would load it and haul it off.
This tree is at least 50inches OD at the base. I priced the job at 100. He said he was thinking it would only be about 20. I told him I wouldn't start one of my saws for 20!!!!!!! He told me he would get someone else to do it. About 1 week later he called again saying he was still thinking about it!!!!!! Do other people doing this type work have the same problem????:confused: :confused: I've found alot of people think this type of work should be done for next to nothing.

I'm just someone that cuts for fun............But unless I needed the work
I would stay away from this guy, you probable won't be able to do a good
enough job for this guy no matter how good of a job you do.

We used to charge 1200 dollars for a tree that size removed with no trace except stump 50/hour stump grinding if they wanted it gone and that was 3 years ago. That guy will find out quick how much money it costs to remove a tree that size and he will be begging you to do it for 100 dollars. I would say 900 would be fair if you leave it bucked up for him and our prices were low. Add up gas/oil for truck/equipment insurance wear on equipment wages time and you will be well over 100.

Thanks for the help. I THink if he calls again I'll just tell him to look else where I'm not intreseted.

Not trying to rag on you ralawler, but 100.00 is next to nothing.
I don't crank my saw for less than 300.00 minimum

That includes 1 hour on the ground for that price. I figure up the hours to complete the job, add 2 hours and charge 300 minimum
+ 65 for every ground hr. , and 100 per every hour in the tree

If the tree is massive, the hourly go's up
If I hit metal in the tree, there's a materials charge also.

I have done land clearing falling for 100 per tree. That's putting it on the ground with plenty of clearance, and no pulling, and walking away.

Let him get a few estimates. Then tell him what it's gonna cost ! :cheers:

Last edited:

This is a joke right?

Even is MS, no one will do it for that little.

Tell you what a hundred dollar job is, you go out like
I did and the lady has a small pine six inch laying in driveway,
she asks how much to cut it and throw it to one side!
Ten minutes hundred dollars and that is then not latter!

Man, tell him to take a hike! To have that same job done in my neck of the woods would be at least $600 - $1000.....if you could find someone to do it for that. I had a similar thing happen a couple years ago, a retired gentleman called a buddy of mine and wanted a HUGE oak taken down, this tree was probably 48" in diameter at the base, right next to his house and he wanted us to haul off all the wood and brush. No way the two of us could have done it in one day. We priced it at $500 and he got mad, acted like he was offended and said we were trying to screw him! I told him to call a tree service and see what they would charge, he said we should do it for the firewood! We said see 'ya and left.

In fact, I overheard two guys talking in a local store yesterday - one of them said his mother had two big Pines she needed cut down and the place she called came out and looked at them a quoted her a price of $1200. I guess people just don't realize what a back breaking job it is and how much the equipment costs to handle large trees. I would'nt even go look at a job like that for $100. Matt

My uncle had an Old Maple tree, pretty huge tree, but 2 years DEAD.

4 guys came out, and one lady (I would have hit it) and they dropped the limbs with it standing, then took the trunk down in 6 sections, flush cut, then ground the stump.

Took about 4 hours total, they had a crane truck, and took everything away but small branches and the mulch.

Charge was over a grand, well over.

The slim was lookin good though. She was weilding a 044 and taking the limbs down to workable sections.

I have two large spruce at my cabin, they have to be topped before they can come down, 125 ft and 115 ft. The limbs will be taken away. For both trees quoted $1000.
I thought this was a smoking good deal.

I have two large spruce at my cabin, they have to be topped before they can come down, 125 ft and 115 ft. The limbs will be taken away. For both trees quoted $1000.
I thought this was a smoking good deal.

Bob, You better call those guys today, tell'em to start tommorrow...
That sounds like a great price !!

he's trying to take advantage of you.

don't let him.i wouldn't charge less tha $45 an hour per man.

you can't get evry job.you get some,you lose some.no sense getting hurt or jerked around because of some cheap bastard.i'd move on fast!

Thanks for the help. I THink if he calls again I'll just tell him to look else where I'm not intreseted.

If he calls back tell him you priced it too cheap, give him a higher price and explain it- that'll get his goat good. He was wanting you to do it for $20 bucks, that's nothing. Gas and oil for one saw is at leat $10, the saw is worth at least $20/day, then add $10 for travel thats $40-50. If your buddy has a saw then add another $30, so now your cost are up to $75. At least charge $20/hr for labor then that adds up to $235. Its 50"dia that's big wood and if its going to take you 8 hrs, $250 - $300 is the least you would want to do it for, then other guys in here say that's cheap.

Tree work is hard, dangerous work. You always see some tree service guys with a truck and ladder. They never look very prosperous because they do the work dirt cheap. Its worth decent money and more.

Back