Was my priceing out of line

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this is a VERY newbie question, but I'm not in the trade..

What is "limb it" and "buck it"?

Maybe if I lived right next door, could walk over with my saw and fall it with little wedging, and then limb it and be done in less than 30 minutes. That would be the only way, anything else is silly.

lol

$100....lol, that guy must me stupid to not take your deal. I did a job like that over the summer, this guy wanted me to cut up this norway maple 24"dia that fell in his yard. He wanted me to take the whole tree limbs and all. I said $300, he said ony $300, I said yea. He said great, can you come out next week, I said yep. I cut it up and loaded it on the trailer and was out of there with $300 in my pocket. Then I did another one 2 years ago, this old lady called me said I have 2 big dead trees for you to cut. Se told me where she lived. So I went there with 440 and 460 in the truck thinking I was going to see 2 40"+ oaks. I pulled up and I asked her where the trees where, she took me around back and there where 2 skinny dead virgina pines one 16" and the other maybe 10". I said are those the trees? She said yea, nobody around here would cut them. So I went up to the truck got my 440 and fired her up and cut them down and up in less than 15 minutes. I only charged her $20 cause I didn't even want the wood, so they said they did. So all's I had to do was fell it, and buck it, the limbs all fell off on impact.:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw: :cheers: :clap: :)

Tell that guy to call a plumber and see what they would charge to cut down a tree. Around here they charge $85 to get in the truck.

Don't sell yourself short. You have skills and expensive tools and you should charge accordingly.

way underquoted

I did a landscaping job today and calculated that I got $22 per hour with travel time, NOT including expenses for saw & trimmer fuel and gas for the vehicle.

My 9 year son was with me and he thought we did great (I gave him $30 for helping haul brush to the pile). I told him I don't work for any man for $22 per hour and am about to up my quotations.

You should have nailed at least $400 - 500 for a 50" tree in my opinion, 'cause it's not just the hours but also your skills and risks.

Got a call the other day to look at a tree in town. It was a big pine, the guy won'ted it removed because the needles are blowing on his metal building causeing the gutters to stop up and rust in places where they accumualate heavy. the job was to fell it, limb it, buck it. he would load it and haul it off.
This tree is at least 50inches OD at the base. I priced the job at 100. He said he was thinking it would only be about 20. I told him I wouldn't start one of my saws for 20!!!!!!! He told me he would get someone else to do it. About 1 week later he called again saying he was still thinking about it!!!!!! Do other people doing this type work have the same problem????:confused: :confused: I've found alot of people think this type of work should be done for next to nothing.

Yup you really messed up. He wanted you to pay him the way it sounds. I would have laffed and told him to kiss me where the good Lord split me. He was willing to pay you enuff money to buy 4 hamburgers at a fast food joint. That guy has gotta be nuts.

pricing

Takes time to especially when you first start out to price and know how much to charge.When you think tree job is 3 hours usually add maybe another 2 or 3 hours.I dont like to give price by the hour unless it is hard to estimate how long it will take example.CLEARING i might charge 1500 day if they dont like it i dont care not going to work for nothing 3 guys chipper and truck.I might get about 20% of my jobs.References usually 60%.CHARGING 100 TO FELL CUT IT UP.Sounds to me llike should be around 400.00.I still screw up some times but not too much.

I know this is a VERY newbie question, but I'm not in the trade..

What is "limb it" and "buck it"?

To "limb" a tree is to take the branches off once it's down to leave just the log. Bucking a log is cutting it into pieces.

So, you fall a tree (cut it down), limb it, and buck it.

Mark

First - I would not get up and clean his gutters for less than $50.

Second -Your actual cost on driving to a job site is at least $50 when
you figure truck cost, truck insurance, gas, bla bla bla. How much is it
going to cost you to run your saw?

Third - print this thread and let the guy read it.

To "limb" a tree is to take the branches off once it's down to leave just the log. Bucking a log is cutting it into pieces.

So, you fall a tree (cut it down), limb it, and buck it.

Mark

Thanks for answering the guys question, Oldsaw. I kept reading the thread to make sure somebody did, or I would have myself.

I would rep you but I have to spread some around first.

Thanks a bunch!!!!!!!!! This form has help me in more was than one. The tree work I do is partly for income and partly because I really enjoy it. I will be much more careful on my priceing from now on. I would like at some point to do this full time. I'm 48 but have run saws since I can remeber. Good money to be made here even just selling saw logs to the mill.

Just because you enjoy doing something doesn't mean you have to do it for free. $150 minimum for me, otherwise its not cost effective to even get out of bed.

Back