We should all stack our firewood this way . . .

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks cool but like an accident waiting to happen as well.

Seriously, especially on bare ground. I have trouble sometimes keeping my 5' tall stacks upright once the frost goes in and back out of the ground.

No offense to anyone but this looks European... maybe Scandinavia? Our legal system would have a field day with this. :msp_smile:

Yep.
View attachment 264534
They fall everywhere. 360. Looks like a bomb went off. :reface:
Now I'll occasionally still stack in the round, but much shorter, and with an inward taper.
Got the little 'uns to watch out for!

"Stay off the wood pile" is my new over-used saying when we're outside. lol. They listen to dad... mom, well, not so much.

If a 10 foot diameter by 10 foot high Holz Hausen holds about 6 cords of wood (Height X Pi x Radius Squared) those would have to hold anywhere from 25 to maybe 30 cords each. But without the actual measurements only the firewood gods know.:msp_ohmy: Those make my little attempt look like a baby by comparison.

IMG_0561_zps48e73193.jpg

If a 10 foot diameter by 10 foot high Holz Hausen holds about 6 cords of wood (Height X Pi x Radius Squared) those would have to hold anywhere from 25 to maybe 30 cords each. But without the actual measurements only the firewood gods know.:msp_ohmy: Those make my little attempt look like a baby by comparison.

IMG_0561_zps48e73193.jpg

I think yous is a bit more practical.

Might have alot of 4 footers in them big stacks and ties in the middle to keep it together.
Lots of room for rodents though:dizzy:

IMG_0561_zps48e73193.jpg

I'm going to try one of those someday. I need to do way more research on how exactly to make one though. It's true that leaving them stacked for a year like this gets the wood seasoned as good as stacking in rows, correct? I don't see how but I'm willing to try.

I like your kindling rack, I'm doing that next.

Do you think the guy in the original picture waited for the wood to season first, or does he have a way to compensate for the shrinking?

I'm going to try one of those someday. I need to do way more research on how exactly to make one though. It's true that leaving them stacked for a year like this gets the wood seasoned as good as stacking in rows, correct? I don't see how but I'm willing to try.

I like your kindling rack, I'm doing that next.

From what I've read, the wood in these Holz Hausen is supposed to season in about 3 months. Since my pile is my first attempt at something like this, ask me in about 3 months. :msp_smile: I'm in the process of putting together a second one next to the first from the rounds I recently split.

That kindling rack was a piece of cake. I just stuck 4 fair sized sticks in the ground and kind of crossed them at the top. Then I laid a longer one across the top and tied it all together. As a precautionary measure I put a ball bungie around the spots I had tied together. Then used some old fence posts to keep the pile off the ground.

Latest posts

Back